Slacko 5.7 - March 2014

Please post any bugs you have found
rufwoof

#41 Post by rufwoof »

For non-PAE at least :

Fix for mplayer not correctly displaying in full screen mode : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... c7a15b5895

OpenShot SFS that seems to work : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82046 (openshot-1.4.2 SFS)

bigpup

#42 Post by bigpup »

rufwoof,

All you ask would be possible by doing a remaster.
I think, at this point, you need to understand what to do to do a remaster.
Here is a good guide to follow:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Les Kerf

#43 Post by Les Kerf »

Installed Slacko 5.7 non PAE on a thumb drive and am posting from it while booted on the iMac.

mavrothal

#44 Post by mavrothal »

Compiled the chrome video driver for VIA machines (which works fine) and I get a strange bug.
Switching window buttons in jwmconfiguration proceeds fine without errors but the buttons never change. xerrs.log shows

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/jwm
VESA BIOS Extension not detected
chrome
/usr/share/pixmaps/min.png:1: parser warning : unsupported version "1.1"
<?xml version="1.1" encoding="UTF-8"?>
which refers to the min.svg icon that min.png is symlined to.

Given that that all the svg icons with xml version=1.1 show fine, it appears to be a problem on the interaction of jwm with chrome.
The question is which one and how could it be determined.

PS: Just to make clear that this is a chrome-specific bug. VESA and vmware drivers I tried, switch fine.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rufwoof

#45 Post by rufwoof »

bigpup wrote:rufwoof,

Thx bigpup. That was perfect (it was the deletion of locale and how to bo about changing /etc that I'd previously been stuck on).

watchdog

#46 Post by watchdog »

rufwoof wrote:
watchdog wrote:Result of hard testing with browser open in many pages: I have a problem with ram and some scripts accessing hd to almost freezing.
I'd guess its abiword. There seems to be a serious memory buffering problem with the installed dev version. I've no abiword installed (replaced with OpenOffice) and with loads of things running, watching SneekyLinux, watching/listening to a MP4, Office docs open, paint etc etc. it all runs fine.
Back to slacko 5.7 after restoring my first backup. No more problems with built-in abiword. I think I was victim of a malicious attack.

PaulR

#47 Post by PaulR »

As per http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=450

My savefile problem has returned with 5.7.

Booting off a USB, saving using the defaults (admin, 512mb, no encrypt etc) to sda1 (formatted ext4 and having just Linux Mint installed). Tried saving Puppy in ext2 and ext4 format with and without additional characters in the savefile name.

This is the non-PAE version on a Thinkpad T42 1GB - Puppy isn't installed in any way.

I can mount and browse the slackosave file I created at first shutdown and it all seems to be ok.

Paul

bigpup

#48 Post by bigpup »

PaulR ,

How was Slacko installed to the USB drive?
Be specific with the details.
What type drive?
USB Flash drive, hard drive, etc...?
YaPI(any iso installer)

PaulR

#49 Post by PaulR »

bigpup wrote: How was Slacko installed to the USB drive?
What type drive?
In this instance it was burned with 'Imagewriter', a standard Mint 13 accessory but the same problem (on 5.6.x Slacko beta) was with an ISO burned from XP using unetbootin.

It is the same USB stick (a 2GB of uncertain manufacture) but I can't think why it would behave in the same way twice i.e. works perfectly in all respects except doesn't seem to see the savefile when booting.

I'll try a different stick, see what that does. Thanks for the reply,

Paul

TechNot

#50 Post by TechNot »

After having some time to tinker around on the new 57 nonpae I have noticed a few oddities...

Mostly non working buttons or key combo's ...

FnF4 sleep
FnF3 screen off
Fn space magnify
page back
page forward

also the half moon sleep light does not come on with lid closed.. Im not exactly sure its going to sleep or just that the screen turns off with lid shut

not that any of these are what you would call a deal breaker but I would like to get them working if at all possible
IBM Thinkpad R51 2888HU1 .. pent M 1.5 .. 2gig ram .. intel graphics

(This is the smaller 14 inch version) detailed specs in WWW link

rufwoof

#51 Post by rufwoof »

bigpup wrote:rufwoof,

Remastered -> Slacko-5.7-Office-NON-PAE

md5sum : a3fe26ed9303b47187f32b5f88fffcb0

Download : http://tinyurl.com/pfe4mok

Standard Slacko 5.7 with :

Support for Belkin F5d6050 wireless usb added in
OpenOffice replacing abiword and gnumeric
OpenOffice Draw replacing inchscape
evince replacing epdfview
VirtualBox
PupSaveHotBackup (live run backup of savefile)
Thunar (file manager) added in alonside ROX-Filer
mplayer fixed so full screens
xvidcap (video capture of desktop)
Audacity (sound editing tutuorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-lmAYIbeY8)
OpenShot (video editing - tutorial http://youtu.be/isphHbbBsvc)
Avidmux (simpler/smaller video editor)

Whopping 540MB, so more for later 'old' PC's (with perhaps 1GB or more RAM). Download, burn to CD/DVD, reboot from CD/DVD and a viable alternative to Windows XP IMO with less of a steep learning curve to transition to puppy linux (OpenOffice is more like Windows Office than is Libre Office).
Last edited by rufwoof on Tue 11 Mar 2014, 23:24, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#52 Post by bigpup »

rufwoof,
Slacko-5.7-Office-NON-PAE
Some Slacko options.
Very good! :D

Open a topic in the "Puppy Derivatives" section of the forum.
You have just made a derivative of Puppy! :shock: :D 8)
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#53 Post by bigpup »

PaulR wrote:
bigpup wrote: How was Slacko installed to the USB drive?
What type drive?
In this instance it was burned with 'Imagewriter', a standard Mint 13 accessory but the same problem (on 5.6.x Slacko beta) was with an ISO burned from XP using unetbootin.

It is the same USB stick (a 2GB of uncertain manufacture) but I can't think why it would behave in the same way twice i.e. works perfectly in all respects except doesn't seem to see the savefile when booting.

I'll try a different stick, see what that does. Thanks for the reply,

Paul
Try this:

Look on the flash drive for the file syslinux.cfg. If it contains the clause "pmedia=cd" or something else, change it to "pmedia=usbflash".

Example:
syslinux.cfg

Code: Select all

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd
Also look for a argument "pfix=ram". Delete it
YaPI(any iso installer)

Moat

#54 Post by Moat »

PaulR wrote:...works perfectly in all respects except doesn't seem to see the savefile when booting.
Just thinking out loud - although I'm not sure of any particulars, I think a booting Puppy limits its savefile search to only the topmost - or one below - file layer (directories/folders) of a mounted drive(s). Is your savefile possibly located "deeper" in the drive than that?

Bob

8-bit

#55 Post by 8-bit »

watchdog wrote:
rufwoof wrote:
watchdog wrote:Result of hard testing with browser open in many pages: I have a problem with ram and some scripts accessing hd to almost freezing.
I'd guess its abiword. There seems to be a serious memory buffering problem with the installed dev version. I've no abiword installed (replaced with OpenOffice) and with loads of things running, watching SneekyLinux, watching/listening to a MP4, Office docs open, paint etc etc. it all runs fine.
Back to slacko 5.7 after restoring my first backup. No more problems with built-in abiword. I think I was victim of a malicious attack.
Could you please expand on your comment of a malicious attack.
I mean we are talking about Puppy Linux and I for one would like to know
how you arrived at that statement. If you think Puppy may have a security flaw that would allow such a thing, please expand on what you may have been doing before this occurred.

watchdog

#56 Post by watchdog »

8-bit wrote:
watchdog wrote:
rufwoof wrote: I'd guess its abiword. There seems to be a serious memory buffering problem with the installed dev version. I've no abiword installed (replaced with OpenOffice) and with loads of things running, watching SneekyLinux, watching/listening to a MP4, Office docs open, paint etc etc. it all runs fine.
Could you please expand on your comment of a malicious attack.
I mean we are talking about Puppy Linux and I for one would like to know
how you arrived at that statement. If you think Puppy may have a security flaw that would allow such a thing, please expand on what you may have been doing before this occurred.
After closing my fault session in slacko and having had the hd accessed by some malicious script for much time, going back to wary I received a malicious suited to me phishing email. I wonder if every new linux install is profiled by security agencies by malicious backdoors because it is not the first time I experience this. Perhaps has NSA a problem with me? I'm a blogger and sometimes I wrote about hot topics. :roll:

Edit: just to explain better. The problem is not puppy but bios, hardware, printers, etc... backdoors. Search google about "Snowden" and conspiracy theories. I can't say here what surely I know. Nobody is secure.
Last edited by watchdog on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#57 Post by James C »

Finally announced on Distrowatch.....
http://distrowatch.com/8342
Attachments
Slacko announcement.jpg
(78.78 KiB) Downloaded 1792 times

otropogo

usbflash install of slacko-5.7.0 PAE - can't find 2fs,

#58 Post by otropogo »

I've got two issues with Slacko 5.7.0 PAE.

After configuring it from the LiveCD, I installed to usbflash, and made a 512MB 2fs file, and rebooted from the flash card.

Slacko booted and loaded, but:

1.There were was no option at bootup to enter cheatcodes, and

2. although "searching for puppy files" was displayed and loading the desktop took a long time, only the sfs file was loaded, the slacko 2fs file created was ignored.

I then rebooted with the LiveCD, and it had no problem finding and loading the 2fs file, but even there, something isn't right, because although the system reported the sfs file loaded into RAM (it was copied to the same hdd as the 2fs file), the system boots and runs much slower than lupu528 plus, and the CD drive keeps starting up.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

PaulR

#59 Post by PaulR »

@bigpup:
I had the same issue on two machines so I've just burned 5.7 to another USB stick. On the first machine I've tried it has loaded the previously created savefile ok (even though the line in syslinux.cfg reads 'append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd' ). I'll try the other machine later. Seems as though it could be related to the USB stick....

@moat:
I only ever use the root directory of the hard drive so it's not that I'm afraid - thanks for the idea anyway.

Paul

enhu

#60 Post by enhu »

please seed