Poll of multi-session puppy users

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
jolphil

Poll of multi-session puppy users

#1 Post by jolphil »

Hi,
I think that the Multisession feature of Puppy is a very important one and sets it apart from other very small Linux distros..
Unfortunately it does not seem to work for everyone..
The reason is much less obvious as to why it is not working in all cases..
It would be very informative to know which hardware devices work and which do not..Such as Puppy version,cd/dvd drive mfgr.Motherboard maker and so on..Please put as much info as you know about your system..
my system below where Puppy..

DOES-NOT-WORK

Puppy 2.02 seamonkey
Plextor PX708A cd/dvd burner
Motherboard Asus P4P800 Deluxe (please include you motherboard as this may be key)
First .iso boot works fine but after saving changes system refuses to boot again into puppy..

Thank you all and lets hope this will provide some useful information to Barry and the crew..
jolphil
Last edited by jolphil on Wed 13 Sep 2006, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Jolphil, I would also include how the multisession DVD was burned. E.g., burniso2cd in Puppy; Nero in Windows (include exact options chosen, if possible.)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

jolphil

#3 Post by jolphil »

Jolphil, I would also include how the multisession DVD was burned. E.g., burniso2cd in Puppy; Nero in Windows (include exact options chosen, if possible.)
Good point Flash..also any other data they deem necessary..
jolphil
BTW I tried puppy 2.02 0n an very old computer sitting my garageAMD K6-500 processor and a no name ATAPI cd burner and everything works fine including the second saved session...
Go Figure..
jolphil

aoirthoir

#4 Post by aoirthoir »

Ive run it on old computers and new...even my new laptop and it always runs fine. The multisession is the exact reason I originally chose puppy over other itty bitty live CDs. Now I keep it for other reasons, for instance it seems to recognize most of my hardware.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

My goodness, aoirthoir. Tell us more. :lol: How do you burn your multisession disks? (Burniso2cd in Puppy? Nero? What?) Which version of Puppy do you use (2.02? Earlier?)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

Plextor PX708A cd/dvd burner according to the test data from Nero found on web, must be burned at 1X for a DVD-R (MAX is only 4X) and for DVD ripping speed at 2X.

This model was one of the first DVD-VR / DVD-/+RW and looks to preform best with DVD+R or DVD+RW media. Since most of the code has speed set to 4X for DVD, try switching over to DVD+Rs or updating drive to one less unique and cutting edge 2004. I bet it was very expensive, its rumored to have Mt. Rainer support WOW!!!
You mother board / BIOS is a overclockers wetdream try cutting everything back to standard mode, Again you have a unique BIOS on that motherboard and live multisession DVDs are not common for WindowsXP it may never have been a thought for the geeks at ASUS when they wrote that inhouse BIOS.

aoirthoir

#7 Post by aoirthoir »

I try to avoid commercial software if I can. Not because I am opposed to paying for software (currently I am paying someone a grand to put together a puppyVMware server CD for me). But because I am tired of commercial software people being jerks. Not updating or fixing their software, not helping with problems and so on.

If I cant get puppy to recognize my eth0 (as is the case of 1.08 on this laptop) then I will use Ubuntu or fedora to download the puppy iso. Then I use burniso2cd for my burning, dvd multisession.

I dont have a lot of technical skill with linux. So its all automatic. As to the version I run, 2.02 if I can. I tried 2.10 alpha but the pups arent working. 2.02 seems to recognize all my hardware on this laptop. 1.08 recognized all my desktop hardware. But not the laptop. Now Ive no probs. It also gives me full wide screen mode.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

there are bugfixes for 210 alpha
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10541

or Puppy 2.10 beta has those bugs already fixed

aoirthoir

#9 Post by aoirthoir »

Thanks I will try that at home.

jolphil

#10 Post by jolphil »

ted dog quote
You mother board / BIOS is a overclockers wetdream try cutting everything back to standard mode, Again you have a unique BIOS on that motherboard and live multisession DVDs are not common for WindowsXP it may never have been a thought for the geeks at ASUS when they wrote that inhouse BIOS.
Ted, I have switched cd burners from a computer in my garage that worked in multisession puppy 2.02..It is a no name cd burner but when I install it into my desktop with the P4P800deluxe MB) puppy saves the second session but will not boot the saved session..
Thus it must be the bios and not necessarily the plextor.. Food for thought?
Jolphil
Later Edit: I found the plextor box and it says on the box both cd and dvd multisession supported..Plus dvd and cd mode 1&2 ROM, Is that mt Rainier?

jolphil

#11 Post by jolphil »

I am rather surprised that more puppy users have not taken the time to add information as to what works and what does not work..To my knowledge no one really has data to prove why sometimes it will save
bootable configurations on some computers and not on others...
It's still a big mystery...
The only way to sort out whats wrong is to add to the data pool...
Thank you,
jolphil

pcguru

#12 Post by pcguru »

system ==
[Motherboard] Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394
AMD Athlon-XP 2800+
1GB DDR RAM (2x512MB)
2x80 GB HDD
[CD-R/W] erm, some 'DIAMOND DATA' thing ?
[DVD-R/W] TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U
==
Burning/writing software
BurnCDCC (ReadVerify not ticked, SAO not ticked & Finalize not ticked - Speed set right back to minimum)
or Nero (untick 'finalize CD') *note* Nero won't write to a DVD disk - it seems to think puppy is for CDs only - at least that's what I get - so I use BurnCDCC for DVD disks.
==
Disks used;
CD-RW, CD-RW (185MB - 21min), DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW (1.4GB)
*note* I've only used ReWriteable disks - can't comment for normal CDR or DVDR disks
==
now I can't remember all versions that I've done it with, but I can say it must be darn near all since puppy ver. 2.0 (including 2.12 BUT excluding 2.10) -- the whole multi-session disk was/is one heck of a feature ... thing is I've never had a problem with it.

SAE140

#13 Post by SAE140 »

A couple more to chuck in the pot, using vintage gear ...

Seamonkey 2.12 burned to both CD-R and CDR/W using BurnCDCC from Terabyte (Read-Verify ON, non-finalized OFF)

PC-Chips M571/ 128Mb
HP8250 CD-Writer (re-badged Ricoh ?)

slight wrinkle during first save (auto-eject and re-insert), works perfectly thereafter with both CD types.

########################

version/ iso burned as above - but CDR/W only, for testing.

Jetway 530BF/ 128Mb +
Acer 1208a CD-Writer

much buggering about during save: multiple inserts required to get script to finish. Eventually a fresh CD-R was called for. CDR/W inserted (getting through too many disks !) - Save reported, but nothing was written. Tried twice - gave up.

Same motherboard
Philips DVDRW228 (using CDR/W)
Burned ok - same eject/re-insert wrinkle as the M571 - but on re-booting neither the Keyboard nor Mouse would work, so can't report on any subsequent saves etc.

########################

Took this "first-saved" CD and (on a hunch) booted the M571 with it - which booted ok, with mouse and keyboard working fine.

This CD was then "re-saved" on the M571 and returned to the Jetway 530 : on booting, mouse and keyboard now work fine, as do several re-saves on that machine using the Philips burner. So it appears to have been a 'first-save' problem.

With this in mind, I then replaced the Philips Burner on the Jetway with the Acer (which had failed to burn first time). The Acer now burns OK with subsequent saves.

So it seems there are both burner AND motherboard issues both during the first-save process, and re-boots immediately following it.

Colin

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Hmm have the same problem with the first save...my workaround is to add a second track using nero in windows (a text file will do) then subsequent saves function 100%.

Having looked at the init scripts it seems that there is a fallback detection which looks at the cd and if there is a saved session /more than one track then the cd is assumed to be capable if multisession writing and is then treat accordingly.
So it seems to me that for some hardware the cd is not recognised as multisession by the main method (no save session icon on the desktop) and this causes the subsequent failure of the first write....another thought was that dma could be interfering with this...ejecting and reinserting would help with this perhaps.

Detection during boot seems to be the deciding factor in this case as substituting with another already multisession disk does not work.

Not a very scientific desciption but this is how it comes accross to me

Using aopen cd writer ..socket7 motherboard..ali chipset..k6-2 processor...160mb ram...puppy 2.02 regression.

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

mikeb,

Would you mind trying this command line method to add a session, to see if it does the same thing as adding a session with Nero?

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Would you mind trying this command line method to add a session, to see if it does the same thing as adding a session with Nero?
ok......will be later today (saturday) hopefully..

are you thinking of a possible workaround within puppy

regards

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Nothing in mind really, just asking. The answer might help figure out what's going on. If adding a session with command-line works like adding it with Nero, that's at least a good thing to know. :)

withasong

Multisession Problems

#18 Post by withasong »

I've been reading with interest this thread about multisession problems that some of been having.

I've been having some mutlisession issues with a variety of "faces" (I mean that there's not just one problem, but a variety of problems) which I've posted over here, with multisession stuff being especially emphasized in my second post (however, some of the other things are also related, like the need for a multisession reboot failsafe which I speak about in my first post that doesn't exist in Puppy).

I have 3 computers on which I've been having multisessoin problems, BUT I also have similar problems with remasters (either not writing anything on the disk at all or with having the disk be bootable after the write). I can't help but begin to wonder if there's a relationship between some of the multisession problems and some of the remastering problems.

I think multisessions is one of the neatest features of Puppy, but remastering also has some really neat features too, like taking the installation of almost 400 MB of Firefox and OpenOffice with slightly less than 100 MB of Puppy bootup stuff (which is about 500 MB added together) and putting all that onto a 212 MB remastered CD! -- wow, that's REALLY cool!. Remasters work very seldom for me, but when it does, it's VERY rewarding, as everything's there (Puppy works, Firefox works, and all components of OpenOffice work too) -- and there's about 500 MB left on the remastered CD for future multisessions (otherwise, it ends up being less than 200 MB on the original multisession disk, and less if you've installed other stuff). Remastering also combines the results of ALL multisessions into a single new session (which is supposed to be like what happens when our multisession disks fill up and we're asked to put in a new CD, but this doesn't work for me well either! -- the disk drawer closes and IMMEDIATELY opens up with nothing written to it!). While remastering is not the issue in this current thread, I wonder if some of these remastering problems are interwoven with or similar to writing usable multisession disks (because I have BOTH of these problems and they have some common features).

Hoping to get some helpful attention to our combined interests, I give you what I've posted here.

PS: Thanks Flash! I just checked my link above and I see you found my other post on your own. Fantastic! See you there...

withasong

Live CD Multisession Problems

#19 Post by withasong »

Flash, I'm looking for your reply to me that you mentioned. I don't see that you've responded here, since this is not the HowTo section that you referred to in this thread. Or is it?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

I'm sorry. I thought you were someone else, when I read what he wrote in the Howto section. This is the post I was referring to.