Can the savefile be edited?

Booting, installing, newbie
phredo

Can the savefile be edited?

#1 Post by phredo »

I recently changed monitors on my desktop pc. Slacko 5.6 boots into xwin with no problem if I start from scratch (pfix=ram), but if I try to to use my savefile, created when I had the old monitor, instead of the graphical interface I get directed into configuring my video. Since I haven't had any luck with the various choices, I wondered if there was a way to just either delete the file that controls the video configuration from my savefile or replace it with the "out of the box" file, if such exists. Since whatever the pfix=ram bootup is using seems fine, if I could do that editing to the savefile, it seems like a much easier solution that tinkering with the video wizard, especially since it hasn't worked out for me so far.

So my questions are: (1) Is it ok in pricniple to just open the savefile (by clicking on it in the file manager) and edit the contents, and, if so, (2) which file(s) would I need to delete/alter/replace?

By the way, I don't have the problem in Precise: when I boot with the savefile: there is no problem with the video.

nic007

Re: Can the savefile be edited?

#2 Post by nic007 »

phredo wrote:I recently changed monitors on my desktop pc. Slacko 5.6 boots into xwin with no problem if I start from scratch (pfix=ram), but if I try to to use my savefile, created when I had the old monitor, instead of the graphical interface I get directed into configuring my video. Since I haven't had any luck with the various choices, I wondered if there was a way to just either delete the file that controls the video configuration from my savefile or replace it with the "out of the box" file, if such exists. Since whatever the pfix=ram bootup is using seems fine, if I could do that editing to the savefile, it seems like a much easier solution that tinkering with the video wizard, especially since it hasn't worked out for me so far.

So my questions are: (1) Is it ok in pricniple to just open the savefile (by clicking on it in the file manager) and edit the contents, and, if so, (2) which file(s) would I need to delete/alter/replace?

By the way, I don't have the problem in Precise: when I boot with the savefile: there is no problem with the video.
The xorg configuration file is normally found in etc/x11/xorg.conf. Change that file with a text editor or replace/delete it.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Is it ok in pricniple to just open the savefile (by clicking on it in the file manager) and edit the contents,
Yes.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

phredo

#4 Post by phredo »

Ah, good. Now I need to figure out just what to do. I think I'll start with a pfix=ram, accept the video config it gives me, create a savefile, find the video config file in that savefile, and use it to replace the one in my older savefile. If that works, I'll write another reply.