SSD and TRIM

Booting, installing, newbie
rocket-puppy

SSD and TRIM

#1 Post by rocket-puppy »

I have googled and looked here before starting this thread.

My question is a simple one. When Puppy boots it sees the computer's drive(s). If they are not encrypted then Puppy can access them. But what about SSDs? Specifically What about TRIM?

Searching here there is a similar question in the sub-forum for French speakers which hasn't been resolved. And there is another thread where an EEE user owner says there is no problem, and then goes on to say he only works with SDs so doesn't know anyway.

I am asking because I am intending to outfit the new PC with an SSD.

Thanks.

PS: If this question is answered here somewhere else then sorry I did try.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

if you are looking for raw speed invest in RAM and choose a run in ram option. for fatdog64 the kernel switch is base2ram=expand the harddrive image of aprox 7to8 hundred megs and it will be even faster the SSD.
However if you are going to duel boot. I found win8 scripts treat any harddrive less then a 100Gs as a ssd. And my win8 runs ok with less than 20Gs. I have a seagate hybrid drived ssd inside of regular harddrive and going to try that as a windows8 fatdog64 630 and ARM multi use after the Vista laptop is going to the shed for retirement ( that hybrid drive worked wonders in speed improvements with Vista ) :shock:

again

a bit off subject, but

#4 Post by again »

Two years ago i bought a 128 GB SSD from OWC to run in my MBP. I asked a similar question and the tech guys at OWC said that the firmware in their drive handled the functions that others call TRIM without any other intervention by any other software..

I think the question should be referred to the manufacturer of that SSD. As Trim is different based upon different manufacturers of SSD's and sometimes the OS must have the option to run Trim, or the MOBO Firmware is involved.

Another user told me that it was also important to not Clone an SSD from a spinning hard drive but to reinstall the OS from scratch, and then copy my data back over. I do not know the reasoning for that. But as it could not hurt, i reinstalled the OS from scratch.

I had what sounded like a software link problem with the drive, and ran a program to fix it. Then I had an issue where somehow, my machine would not boot from the SSD, could not see this SSD. I put it in an external Box, and tried it with Windows, and all kinds of Rescue CD's. None of them could see the drive, so I could not reformat it, none of the standard Linux, Windows, or Apple could fix the basic beginning of the drive. (of course i was GUID, not MBR as it was for an Apple).

The Techies at OWC felt the drive had just died, and had no way to suggest to bring it back to life.

Anyway, i started the program, "Data Rescue 3" which is a Mac OS X program. I had not purchased the program, so i could not really run it. However, when I started the program, it fixed the beginning files of the SSD. I stopped the program "Data Rescue 3" Rebooted the computer, Lo and Behold, all the info on the disk reappeared.

Then I booted from the drive, as an external drive (which an MBP will do usually) and the drive was completely usable.

Just saying if you get into a problem like that.

An SSD will allow programs to load faster, and thereby to start faster. They only run faster, after initially loading. Since Puppy is ALL loaded into RAM when it starts, Programs will not start faster unless your machine is RAM deficient, and you are using a SWAP file for Puppy. Or you are running some kind of application which requires a constant interaction with the HD, like editing a Video file, then that one program might be faster with an SSD

rocket-puppy

#5 Post by rocket-puppy »

Thanks will do.

rocket-puppy

#6 Post by rocket-puppy »

Ted Dog wrote:if you are looking for raw speed invest in RAM and choose a run in ram option. for fatdog64 the kernel switch is base2ram=expand the harddrive image of aprox 7to8 hundred megs and it will be even faster the SSD.
However if you are going to duel boot. I found win8 scripts treat any harddrive less then a 100Gs as a ssd. And my win8 runs ok with less than 20Gs. I have a seagate hybrid drived ssd inside of regular harddrive and going to try that as a windows8 fatdog64 630 and ARM multi use after the Vista laptop is going to the shed for retirement ( that hybrid drive worked wonders in speed improvements with Vista ) :shock:
No its not about speed it is about the SSD and TRIM. On a un-encrypted hard disc I just access it through Puppy no problem. But an SSD is a different problem. On the installed distro (to clarify the non Puppy one on the drive) you adjust "noatime" in "/etc/fstab" and ensure your SSD uses ATA_TRIM. But what if I want to boot from Puppy (as I do) how or what do I tweak? My Puppy install will only be used on that one box so I could tweak it; my plan is two USB3 sticks that will be "permanent" somewhere in the cse. I am just unsure of the implications.

As for RAM I have taken the buckets of RAM message to heart. Originally I was going to use a mini-ITX now I am going to use an ATX board with four ram slots. I can fill them as I can afford too. I am going to be using VirtualBox for pseudo-distro hopping and other games.

Thanks for the reply.

rocket-puppy

Re: a bit off subject, but

#7 Post by rocket-puppy »

again wrote:Two years ago i bought a 128 GB SSD from OWC to run in my MBP.........
Thanks. Those are the sort of problems I am trying to avoid. And I have got similar contradictory answers and advice.

I wanted to keep my original post short to avoid confusion.

My plan is to do a conventional desktop build. My computing currently is a mix of old boxes and low power laptops and I just want something with a bit of oomph. I don't play serious games I mostly use office, browse the web, and some programming. I want to do more of that plus some distro hopping (via VB) and use CAD etc. All I want is an i3 (perhaps i5), 16Gb of RAM, and an SSD (though I am flexible on the latter.) Then install Linux probably Manjaro with Xfce. I have toyed and played with Puppy in the past and want to make my new build Puppy friendly because. well you lot know better than I do that Puppy is awesome quick! I will live between the distros; I plan to put FatDog64 on to a USB3 stick on an internal header in the case so it is always available. If I had a conventional disc Puppy could just access it; I know this because I have done it. But SSDs are a different beast. That is why I posted this thread.