Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Sep 2014, 00:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 24 of 25 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
ASRI éducation

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 06:32    Post_subject:  

RSH wrote:
I tried to run Precise-5.7.1 in VirtualBox-4.3.4 (shinobar's edition), but VirtualBox complains about my computer doesn't have PAE. So it did not start.

Without VirtualBox I can run and use exactly this Precise-5.7.1 Version.

Is VirtualBox wrong or my Computer?

Is there a non PAE Precise-5.7.1?

Hello,
I think VirtualBox wrong.
For a non PAE Precise 5.71, you can use precise-5.7.1-retro.iso
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/
Cordialement,

shinobar

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 20:59    Post_subject: PAE support on VirtualBox  

RSH wrote:
I tried to run Precise-5.7.1 in VirtualBox-4.3.4 (shinobar's edition), but VirtualBox complains about my computer doesn't have PAE. So it did not start.

Ensure the virtual machine settings.
virtualbox_pae.png
 Description   Of course the real CPU need to support PAE
 Filesize   10.19 KB
 Viewed   1454 Time(s)

virtualbox_pae.png

RSH

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 00:05    Post_subject:  

Thanks.

I found this and tried this already. It began to boot, but it hangs when it comes to: making the filesystem usable...

A Precise 5.6 derivative and original Slacko 5.6.3 do make exactly the same problems. Lucid and THD boots fine.

Any clue, how to solve this (it destroys a vision of a cool app/function otherwise).

puppyto

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2014, 11:58    Post_subject:    

Hello, anyone with Precise 5.7.1 on usb, has experienced like a freeze when execute "Menu---Shutdown---Power-off computer"? The black screen with "Precise-Puppy is now shutting down" remains indefinitely, so I have to remove the battery and unplug the power.
MyPuppysaysWauWau

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2014, 02:34    Post_subject:    

Obsolete

Regards,
Walter
chrabak

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar 2014, 19:28    Post_subject: precise5.7.1
Sub_title: dupe directory structure in full install

First time posting so be nice:)

Run this cmd on a Precise 5.7.1 full install (with devx) and you will find
about 830 duplicate directory tree entries. I think this is a result of the sfs_load routine. Same with Slacko5.6.

find / -type d | sed -n '/.*\(\/.*\)\(\1\)$/{p}'

Discovered puppy 2009 and have found the joy of programming once again. Thx to all you puppy-makers.

Chris
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar 2014, 23:47    Post_subject:  

Hello Chrabak, Welcome. Care to supply a little breakdown on that line of yours?
tlchost

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 04:06    Post_subject:  

puppyto wrote:
Hello, anyone with Precise 5.7.1 on usb, has experienced like a freeze when execute "Menu---Shutdown---Power-off computer"? The black screen with "Precise-Puppy is now shutting down" remains indefinitely, so I have to remove the battery and unplug the power.

Not here on usb or flash card.
april

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 06:26    Post_subject: Bit of selective censureship going on -Posts being blocked ?  

Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 06:40    Post_subject:  

april: The forum software seems to have a bug where it'll "blank" posts that have something in [url] tag sets it doesn't like. You'll notice that you can still edit the post, or quote it, and the text is there.

In your case, though, it's the space after the first [url] and the space before the second [/url] that might be causing problems.

James C

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 11:11    Post_subject: Re: Bit of selective censureship going on -Posts being blocked ?  

april wrote:
Barry
Precise 5.7.1
I notice the thread [url] http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84718[/url]deals with a lan wireless adapter I use as , no doubt , do countless other potential users.
They would be walking away in droves scratching their heads and going to other distros as there is only a limited fix by "pemasu" for the one distro only (5.4.2) and it has not been incorporated in subsequent releases so none of them are useable for people with that adapter . I last looked at 5.7.1.

I see also a bug noted in this threadhttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85477with glipper failing to load reliably each time , sometimes it loads most times it does not and restarting the x server fixes it . If you are deep in the middle of something and want to copy text then everything has to be shut down first.

What is the point of continually updating distributions with new features if old problems are not fixed? I can't use any precise distro except 5.4.2. I guess the others are like that too huh?[/b]
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 14:25    Post_subject:  

BarryK has left the building and is not active in supporting Precise.
So, Precise Puppy 5.7.1 is what it is and that is about as good as it will be. There is really no active support, by the developer, in fixing anything.

I suggest you use Slacko 5.7.

scabz

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 16:11    Post_subject:  

april you can use parcellite instead of glipper.
parcellite-1.0.2rc5-i686.pet http://www.mediafire.com/download/cztj3310qvkxox6/parcellite-1.0.2rc5-i686.pet
chrabak

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar 2014, 19:33    Post_subject:  

Hey Semme,

I am assuming the question is about the sed cmd itself and not the
duplicate directory tree that it finds. So.

find / -type d | sed -n '/.*\(\/.*\)\(\1\)$/{p}'

Breaks down as this...

find / -type -d # only looks for directory entries starting from root

sed -n # don't auto print the matches

# the guts of the pattern
'/.*\(\/.*\)\(\1\)$/{p}'
# means find any pattern where the pattern matched in
# (\/.*\) , is then repeated '\(\1\)$ at the end of the directory name.
# if matched, then the response is to print {p}

What this finds is a tall tree of directories that were copied into the full install tree and because (I guess) that tree already existed, it just copied that full tree below the existing one. For puppies that like to be lean, this is not the way to go.
RSH

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar 2014, 18:00    Post_subject: Re: Bit of selective censureship going on -Posts being blocked ?  

@april

You have messed up a little the 'url' tags in your posting - DO NOT insert spaces between those 'url' tags!

Here is your post refined:

Barry
Precise 5.7.1
I notice the thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84718 deals with a lan wireless adapter I use as , no doubt , do countless other potential users.
They would be walking away in droves scratching their heads and going to other distros as there is only a limited fix by "pemasu" for the one distro only (5.4.2) and it has not been incorporated in subsequent releases so none of them are useable for people with that adapter . I last looked at 5.7.1.

I see also a bug noted in this thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85477 with glipper failing to load reliably each time , sometimes it loads most times it does not and restarting the x server fixes it . If you are deep in the middle of something and want to copy text then everything has to be shut down first.

What is the point of continually updating distributions with new features if old problems are not fixed? I can't use any precise distro except 5.4.2. I guess the others are like that too huh?

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 24 of 25 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum