How to use HP Officejet 6500A printer from Puppy CD?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
peterr2

How to use HP Officejet 6500A printer from Puppy CD?

#1 Post by peterr2 »

I saw the page that had links to get puppy to print from my Live cd but could not tell which I should use or how to do it.
I made the disc for security purposes not realizing I have to print form the institution.
Could you please direct me?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

When you say 'live CD,' do you mean you are booting Puppy from a CD but saving your settings and installed programs in a Save file on a hard disk in the computer? Also, how much RAM is in the computer?

peterr2

Ppuppy 5.6

#3 Post by peterr2 »

Hello
I burned the puppy disc and it finalized so it is closed so to speak. I have Win 8.1 with 1 t and 6 GB ram. It all works well but I cannot get Puppy to print from a site while within Puppy. I boot off cd and Puppy opens. Everything I do is in Puppy until I close and do not save. I just want to access some personal sites and print out monthly papers.
I hope this answers your question.
HP directed me to another site which had my printer minus the A at the end - HP Officejet 6500A. It is a-n.
Would Ubuntu print more easily and does printing compromise the security the Live CD was intended to create?
Thank you very much

Galbi

#4 Post by Galbi »

Sorry for insisting but, the strategy of printing to PDF it's not good enough?

Instaed of a printed paper, you'll have the document in pdf format which can be printed from Win8.1

Having that little monster, another aproach could be to set up a virtual Puppy machine (i.e. with VirtualBox) in Win8.1 as host machine.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Ppuppy 5.6

#5 Post by Flash »

peterr2 wrote:I burned the puppy disc and it finalized so it is closed so to speak. ... Everything I do is in Puppy until I close and do not save.
Okay, that tells me something useful at least. If you're not saving when you shut down, you can't install a driver or make any other changes that will be there the next time you boot the CD. Even if you find a way to make printing work, you'll have to reconfigure it each time you boot the Puppy CD unless you save the changes. You can either save them in a file on a hard disk drive or USB flash drive, or you can save them right back on the (multisession) CD. To save them on the CD, you'll have to reburn the CD, this time not finalizing it. The best way to do that is from Puppy, using Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, which automatically burns a non-finalized (multisession) CD or DVD. Then you'll be able to save to the CD when you shut down, should you find a way to make printing work.
... does printing compromise the security the Live CD was intended to create?
Well, I'm not sure that security was uppermost in Barry's mind when he created Puppy. It's just one of the many side benefits of the Puppy way. :) That said, I think that doing things from a multisession Puppy CD potentially allows for better "security" -- whatever that means -- than any other way that presently exists to use a computer.

Galbi

#6 Post by Galbi »

@Flash, I have a doubt. For example in this case, once we have the printer working, remastering Puppy may lead to an .iso that can be functional to print? (of course, only with this specific printer).

Thanks.

peterr2

printer

#7 Post by peterr2 »

Thank you for replying.
I have used 3 different burners and all want to finalize an iso file.
My options;
1-best =if finalized save in a file on a hard disc or usb flash drive -this is fine. Could you please briefly advise me as to how to do this?

2-possibly = I will look into not finalizing and if lucky could then save to the non finalized cd or better dvd.
I wonder if an-rw would be a functional choice?

I have spent hours pursuing this and will continue as it is necessary. Your advice is very much appreciated and thank you for that.
Peter.

Galbi

Re: printer

#8 Post by Galbi »

peterr2 wrote:Thank you for replying.
I have used 3 different burners and all want to finalize an iso file.
My options;
1-best =if finalized save in a file on a hard disc or usb flash drive -this is fine. Could you please briefly advise me as to how to do this?
I never did this, so let's experiment (I always install Puppy frugally in the hard disk).

Boot from the CD as normal, look at the icons in the lower left, they are your disk/s and partition/s. Untill you click on them, they are unmounted. (while unmounted, nothing has access to them, so no possibilitie of infection, etc).

Now insert the USB FlashDrive. A new icon should appear, pay attention at it's name, for example 'sdb1'

Click on it to mount it, you should see what is in it.

Shut down Puppy, and when it asks to save, do it in this drive 'sdb1'
Choose the size you want, but not much big 128mb should be right. It can be enlarged if needed in the future.

Now boot again from the CD but with the pendrive inserted. If I'm right it should search the saved file an load from it.

-----------------------------------

For help with the option 2 let's wait to @Flash as he is much more experience in this.

peterr2

ppuppy

#9 Post by peterr2 »

My friend just downloaded Ubuntu 12.04.4 and printed right away from with in it.
I will spare you the trouble as that is an easy route to follow. I hope this helps you and others and thank you for your willingness to help.
Peter