Jack

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
OscarTalks

Jack

#1 Post by OscarTalks »

Thought I would have a go at compiling this. I built it in Wheezy but it seems OK in Precise. You have to install 2 packages:-

jack-audio-connection-kit-0.124.1 (the server and other guts)

qjackctl-0.3.11 (the control GUI)

The GUI has the needed (official Debian) Qt libs included in a private directory so no need to install any of the larger Qt packages. I don't know very much about this program but anyone is welcome to give it a try and report any findings.

Download from here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Attachments
jack-wheezy.jpg
JACK audio connection kit with qjackctl control GUI running in Dpup Wheezy
(55.42 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Oscar in England

labbe5

Jack toghether with DeadBeef

#2 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

Jack together with DeadBeef are a winning combination. The sound is much better, even on a laptop.

We have to check Jack instead of Alsa in the DeadBeef parameters.

My experience with Jack and DeadBeef is on another OS : APLinux (audiophile Linux), not a Puppy, based on Mint, but with the right parameters, the sound should be as good as with APLinux. Look for the instructions on the APLinux site, how to make the best out of Jack and DeadBeef. It should be easy to do the same with Puppy Precise.
There is something about the kernel, in APLinux, that helps enhance the sound of music, but even with an ordinary kernel, the sound should be richer. Developers would better understand why than me.

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Does Jack have the ability to patch the sound card output to the PC recording software? My soundcard seems to lack the ability to record the digital stream it is playing - I would like to use mhwavedit to record the audio stream from my browser but the only way I can do it is to play the sound through the internal speakers and record it back through the internal microphone.

I'm hoping that Jack will let me switch the audio stream through to my recording input.

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi greengeek,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I forget exactly why I compiled this. I do tinker around with audio quite a bit so was probably curious to see if I could build it and set it up as "standalone" without needing to install Qt which is what I did. Although it all appeared to be running fine I have never really tested it extensively or used it for anything.

As far as I know, it is supposed to resolve the sort of issues you are describing, but I would guess that the audio hardware spec will be a factor. Maybe someone who has more experience of actually using jack can advise.
Oscar in England