Much Faster Firefox startup with Adblock Plus

For discussions about security.
playdayz

#1 Post by playdayz »

Please see the last message for solution to slow Firefox startup with Adblcok Plus installed. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 239#769239
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 04 Apr 2014, 21:50, edited 2 times in total.

ardvark

Re: Ghostery says no trackers on murga-linix

#2 Post by ardvark »

playdayz wrote:It and Adblock Plus are equally effective at blocking trackers according to the research, but Adblock Plus slows down Firefox starting horribly. It is even on the Mozilla list of the 10 slowest starters!
Interesting. I have both installed on my copy Firefox 18 (using Ubuntu 10.04) and have not experienced any sluggishness. :?:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

playdayz

#3 Post by playdayz »

I have both installed on my copy Firefox 18 (using Ubuntu 10.04) and have not experienced any sluggishness
The sluggishness from Adblock is how fast Firefox starts up. You might try an experiment to disable Adblock and see if Firefox starts up any faster.

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

playdayz wrote:The sluggishness from Adblock is how fast Firefox starts up. You might try an experiment to disable Adblock and see if Firefox starts up any faster.
Ah, ok. There's is definitely a bit of a gap there but I have found that Firefox traditionally takes a while to load up anyway. However, it might be interesting to see if there are any differences resulting from the experiment you mentioned. :)

Regards...

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I don't know if I can live without anything that I use to protect myself. Adblock Plus is one of them.

stu91

#6 Post by stu91 »

I use:
Adblock Plus and allow none obtrusive adds.
Ghostery.
HTTPS everywhere - https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
Flashblock (sure i read that this or similar is now baked into firefox?)

playdayz

#7 Post by playdayz »

The sluggishness from Adblock is how fast Firefox starts up. You might try an experiment to disable Adblock and see if Firefox starts up any faster.

Ah, ok. There's is definitely a bit of a gap there but I have found that Firefox traditionally takes a while to load up anyway. However, it might be interesting to see if there are any differences resulting from the experiment you mentioned.
Lots of people have complained about Adblock Plus slowing Firefox startup and here's Adblock's answer. I have been using it at 10 days or so. It does make Firefox startup much faster with Adblock Plus installed and I haven't had any issues. https://adblockplus.org/development-bui ... ox-startup.

Domelo

Re: Much Faster Firefox startup with Adblock Plus

#8 Post by Domelo »

playdayz wrote:

Ah, ok. There's is definitely a bit of a gap there but I have found that Firefox traditionally takes a while to load up anyway. However, it might be interesting to see if there are any differences resulting from the experiment you mentioned.
Lots of people have complained about Adblock Plus slowing Firefox startup and here's Adblock's answer. I have been using it at 10 days or so. It does make Firefox startup much faster with Adblock Plus installed and I haven't had any issues. https://adblockplus.org/development-bui ... ox-startup.
It's because you're using adblock plus firefox for the past 10 days and not years. I have been using it for over a year, but I was not satisfied with it as has been creating new issues every time that's why I kicked it off my system and installed the latest ad blocking software by adguard.com which is way better than ABP from all aspects. Do you know that ABP tracks your activities too and has good bonds with Google?

Barkin

#9 Post by Barkin »

Domelo wrote:... Do you know that ABP tracks your activities too and has good bonds with Google?
They can't be that close : ABP blocks the adverts in Gmail , and on YouTube (which is owned by Google).

FireFox has an inbuilt connection with Google called Google_Safe_Browsing which is on by default.

That's responsible for the tracking traffic between your Firefox browser and Google.

bark_bark_bark

#10 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Using PeerBlock right now, and found none of my data sent to google.

Domelo

#11 Post by Domelo »

Barkin wrote:
Domelo wrote:... Do you know that ABP tracks your activities too and has good bonds with Google?
They can't be that close : ABP blocks the adverts in Gmail , and on YouTube (which is owned by Google).

FireFox has an inbuilt connection with Google called Google_Safe_Browsing which is on by default.

That's responsible for the tracking traffic between your Firefox browser and Google.
Your point is great, but adguard adblocker (as far as I heard) is not linked with Google or any other. So, does it also track our activities?

Domelo

#12 Post by Domelo »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Using PeerBlock right now, and found none of my data sent to google.
How did you get to know that this ad blocker didn't send your data to Google?

bark_bark_bark

#13 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I was using peerblock whitch on one of the blacklists, is google. i was running firefox and did not see anything that had to do with google.
Last edited by bark_bark_bark on Sat 10 May 2014, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

There is this new appearance that has creep into, even, our slang where we are slinging mud intentionally to make a point.

If you are concerned about ads, then its NOT Google we should worry about. It should be about all ads. That is the premise that ABP and others have been trying to get across to the larger community for 2 decades. Ads, not Google, not Yahoo, not Bing, not ... its Ads software impacting the performance and behavior in the FF browser.

The thread brings up a good point in the factors that impact the running of the browser.

slavvo67

#15 Post by slavvo67 »

GCMartin makes an excellent point. As long as people need to get paid, there will be ads regardless of the platform you use. It's very unfortunate. I stopped using Yahoo because they cluttered their splash-page with ad pop-ups. I think they toned it down a bit, now.