HP DESKJET 3740 PRINTER NO PRINTING

Booting, installing, newbie

HP DESKJET 3740 PRINTER NO PRINTING

#1 Post by Guest »

I have a hp deskjet printer 3740 and it is hooked up with usb. The usb info sees it as the right printer. How do you use the print wizard in puppy 1.0.4, I was using pcl-900 driver and the printer did not respond at all. We tried using all the word processors in puppy. I set the default printer,still nothing happened. I tried this printer on another machine with a linux and cups and it worked right away. Is there any place on kiwi explaining how to. I could not find it.
Thanks duke

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

The printer wizard runs in 2 sections. After the first one is done you then have to configure the XPDQ print manager. This is the one that most people trip up on.

Read this thread, give that a try. http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1142

If you don't get the xpdq setup correctly then NOTHING will print, as all the chosen print jobs are routed through it.

Shout up if you still have problems.

#3 Post by Guest »

I tried this and i get "abort: unkown host" in xpdq. I have gone through the print wizard and it asked for an ip host name. It is confusing to me, what do they mean ip host name. the pop infomation does not help at all. as an enduser i'am at a lose. I also have windows 98 and the printer works fine, i have installed abiword in win98 and any work that i do in puppy, i have to move all my work down to window 98 to print. I would like to use puppy to print al my work stuff. thank you rich. thanks duke

Rich

#4 Post by Rich »

Here's a 'walk through' then. Might help explain things.

In the Start menu, choose Setup/printer wizard
Choose your printer from the supplied list ( the grey one, not the pink one )
Choose settings and click through the setup boxes ( ink cartridge/usb/etc )
You then get to the end of the initial Printer setup. Read the box carefully, making notes of the key info here is a good idea.It tells you which driver MUST be chosen in the xpdq setup here.
Click OK and xpdq opens. Click Printer/Add Printer and the wizard starts.

Name the printer, ignore the location field and give the model number.
i.e. top section.........Deskjet ;bottom section .......3740 - click next
From the list shown, choose the driver that was specified at the end of the first setup. Then choose paper type, select local port ( if its a local printer ).
In the next box ( name of device ) enter /dev/lp0 ( if it's a parallel port printer ) or /dev/usb/lp0 for usb printer.
That's about it.
try the colorcir file again directly from xpdq.

<< if you are unsure about any of the options with xpdq then hover the cursor over the area to be filled and Tool-Tip helpers pop up. >>

If you still have problems then I'd suggest trying to catch someone in the chatroom who could advise you in real time.

Hope this helps

duke93535

#5 Post by duke93535 »

Thanks alot for your effort, I had no luck,but I'am still duel booted so I'll just keep shifting back to win98 with any thing I need to print. We tried your instruction again on another printer, an Epson stylus C84 printer and it printed ok.
thanks duke