No option to boot from USB Thumb drive

Booting, installing, newbie
puppyuser

No option to boot from USB Thumb drive

#1 Post by puppyuser »

I am having a really odd problem. My Bios has the ability to boot USB hard drives, USB CDROMs, ect. But no option to boot from a Thumb drive! This dosn't seem to make a lot of sense. I'm running a Biostar MOBO with a Via KM266 Pro/VT8237R chip set. I just installed this MOBO. The weird thing is that my older MOBO would boot from the Thumb drive but didn't have any options to boot from any other USB drives.
Curtis

WhoDo

Re: No option to boot from USB Thumb drive

#2 Post by WhoDo »

puppyuser wrote:I am having a really odd problem. My Bios has the ability to boot USB hard drives, USB CDROMs, ect. But no option to boot from a Thumb drive! This dosn't seem to make a lot of sense. I'm running a Biostar MOBO with a Via KM266 Pro/VT8237R chip set. I just installed this MOBO. The weird thing is that my older MOBO would boot from the Thumb drive but didn't have any options to boot from any other USB drives.
Curtis
Sorry to take so long getting you an answer, Curtis. I just noticed your question.

You will find that your USB thumb drive is actually treated as a USB hard drive by the BIOS. I had the same situation on my laptop. Selecting to boot from USB hard drive will cause your thumb drive to be checked for boot files.

Hope that helps.