Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 Oct 2014, 04:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 17 of 27 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2014, 13:30    Post_subject: Re: Switcher Link  

sszindian wrote:
That link (for your new switcher) doesn't appear to be working peebee?

>>>---Indian------>

Looks like a Box problem....will probably sort itself...

Also available from

Desktop - Change appearance - Download - conky

or direct link

sszindian

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2014, 14:54    Post_subject: Switcher  

OK... your new conkeyswitcher direct-link was good... solved the disappearing problem and works very nice but...

I originally had conky-1.8.1-i486 from the Saluki Repo installed. I deleted that and installed conky-1.9.0 from the PPM. That didn't work? tried another 1.9.0 from a different distro site (also in PPM) and that was a no-go also. Reverted back to the 1.8.1 from Saluki and that works like a charm... No idea why?

'Thanks for the extra work!!!"

>>>---Indian------>
Desktop-2_2014-03-29_145503.png
 Description   
 Filesize   118.54 KB
 Viewed   839 Time(s)

Desktop-2_2014-03-29_145503.png

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2014, 15:16    Post_subject: Re: Switcher  

sszindian wrote:
OK... your new conkeyswitcher direct-link was good... solved the disappearing problem and works very nice but...

I originally had conky-1.8.1-i486 from the Saluki Repo installed. I deleted that and installed conky-1.9.0 from the PPM. That didn't work? tried another 1.9.0 from a different distro site (also in PPM) and that was a no-go also. Reverted back to the 1.8.1 from Saluki and that works like a charm... No idea why?

'Thanks for the extra work!!!"

>>>---Indian------>

I recommend to use the conky included in the LxPup14.03 iso as it contains some necessary libraries.....

Desktop - Change appearance - Options - Conky

Install it before installing the switcher

live

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr 2014, 17:24    Post_subject:  

I have issues with non US chars, could you please update:

http://www.tuxera.com/community/release-history/

at the same time

http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=blob_plain;f=Changelog
and recompile players accordingly

Thanks
live

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr 2014, 06:13    Post_subject:  

I want to specify that the issue I experience with non US characters is specific to LxPup 14.03 not to Precise 5.7.1
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr 2014, 08:24    Post_subject:  

live wrote:
I want to specify that the issue I experience with non US characters is specific to LxPup 14.03 not to Precise 5.7.1

Hello Live

LxPup14.03 is a derivative of Slacko5.7 - not Precise 5.7.1.....

So the first thing I ask you to do is test if you have this problem when using a vanilla pristine frugal install of Slacko5.7 please?

All issues such as NTFS support LxPup inherits from Slacko 5.7 so any requests to update ntfs-3g need to be directed to Slacko5.7

I'm afraid that you haven't given enough description of what your "Non-US characters" problem actually is - again I would expect any such problem to be directed to Slacko5.7.

Sorry I can't help any further at the moment on the basis of your problem description.

Cheers
peebee

natgab

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr 2014, 16:20    Post_subject: How do I edit Conky & how do I remove programs  

Hi PeeBee, I have been Jejy69’s LxPup on my Thinkpad X40 and wanted to try out and see what you had updated. Works great so far on both my Thinkpad R61.

I have two questions, first should be easy. How do I edit the Conky file to resize the bars? I had done it before in Crunchbang but forgot how I did it. Confused As you can see from the screenshot, if I use any kind of wallpaper with a large picture the Conky overlaps. This is from my R61, I think it would look even bigger on the X40.

Second question is how can I delete applications to have a slimmer LxPup? I want to trim down to one text editor, basic internet, barebones multimedia. I want to simplify for my niece who now uses the X40 and for an old HP w/ 512 RAM that I want to play around with. I opened the remove built in pkgs application, but that seems to be system items not regular applications. Can I remove them with Puppy Package Manager?

Is it easier for me to build up to what I like? Is there a stripped Slacko / Lucid to build up from?

X40 Thinkpad Laptop OS Lxpup 14 LXDE (nieces toy now)
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2014, 06:27    Post_subject: Re: How do I edit Conky & how do I remove programs  

natgab wrote:
Hi PeeBee, I have been Jejy69’s LxPup on my Thinkpad X40 and wanted to try out and see what you had updated. Works great so far on both my Thinkpad R61.

I have two questions, first should be easy. How do I edit the Conky file to resize the bars? I had done it before in Crunchbang but forgot how I did it. Confused As you can see from the screenshot, if I use any kind of wallpaper with a large picture the Conky overlaps. This is from my R61, I think it would look even bigger on the X40.

Second question is how can I delete applications to have a slimmer LxPup? I want to trim down to one text editor, basic internet, barebones multimedia. I want to simplify for my niece who now uses the X40 and for an old HP w/ 512 RAM that I want to play around with. I opened the remove built in pkgs application, but that seems to be system items not regular applications. Can I remove them with Puppy Package Manager?

Is it easier for me to build up to what I like? Is there a stripped Slacko / Lucid to build up from?

Hi natgab

Question 1: you can find the Conky configuration file in /root/.config/conky (note the hidden .config directory) - you could try changing the width= parameters in bargraph.lua

Question 2: not sure if you want to completely remove things so as to make the .sfs smaller or just to hide things in the menu? The first I can't really help with other than to say that my build methods (making an .sfs of additions and then using woofy to amend and create a new .iso) do not update the list of in-built components I'm afraid so you are limited to using the tools that ship with Slacko to remove components and then do a Remaster. If you just want to hide things in the menu then that is easier - just delete or rename items in /usr/share/applications or edit them to include the NoDisplay=true line (see Browse the Web = defaultbrowser.desktop for an example)

Question 3: 01micko has not as yet released a Tiny version of Slacko5.7

Hope that helps
Cheers
PeeBee

natgab

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2014, 21:59    Post_subject: Re: How do I edit Conky & how do I remove programs  

peebee wrote:

Hi natgab

Question 1: you can find the Conky configuration file in /root/.config/conky (note the hidden .config directory) - you could try changing the width= parameters in bargraph.lua

Question 2: not sure if you want to completely remove things so as to make the .sfs smaller or just to hide things in the menu? The first I can't really help with other than to say that my build methods (making an .sfs of additions and then using woofy to amend and create a new .iso) do not update the list of in-built components I'm afraid so you are limited to using the tools that ship with Slacko to remove components and then do a Remaster. If you just want to hide things in the menu then that is easier - just delete or rename items in /usr/share/applications or edit them to include the NoDisplay=true line (see Browse the Web = defaultbrowser.desktop for an example)

Question 3: 01micko has not as yet released a Tiny version of Slacko5.7

Hope that helps
Cheers
PeeBee

--Cool, I can open the file and see if I can adjust the bars. They seem a bit too long. I will see what I come up with and update. So far its been very useable and fun.

--I will try cleaning up the menu on my R61 before I update the ThinkPad X40, I think it will make it easier on my niece.

--I was just hoping there was smaller version of Slacko 5.7 so I could make use of some straggler 1 or 2GB USB sticks without dealing with ROX / FWM. I will look around at the smaller puppies and then maybe try and add on the LxPup SFS file and see if I get one working.

X40 Thinkpad Laptop OS Lxpup 14 LXDE (nieces toy now)
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr 2014, 08:47    Post_subject: Thin-LxPup  

natgab wrote:

Hi natgab

Had a play - the latest Slacko-by-SFS will run OK on Thin-Slacko-5.5.01 which is c. 125MB

There is one small change needed to stop a nagging error message - delete:
/root/Startup/z-lxde-startup.sh

Some of the options (e.g. Conky) don't quite work properly but most do.

However, I have acpi problems with Thin-Slacko on my laptop - errors on bootup and hangs on shutdown....may or may not apply to other people...

Cheers
peebee

Chris_W

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2014, 07:17    Post_subject: LxPup Startup System Tray Prob  

Greetings!

I'm currently configuring my ASUS eeepc 701 for LxPup 14.03, which means making the Font dpi smaller, changing some of the font sizes, etc, etc. (previously on LxPup 13.01)

I find that almost every time I've done this, eventually after a reboot (on a frugal usb install, 1G save file), I have a problem that initially starts with lx panel not displaying, until I click the mouse, at which time it displays correctly.

Eventually though, I find that I get: Error No such file or directory
and the Panel System Tray app fails to display items except the usage monitor, clock, and anything I've put in root\start (like Libreoffice Quickstarter).
The other things are actually functioning, but just not displaying in the panel system tray....

I've tried to do a number of instals, to isolate what the cause is, but am finding that pretty tricky, as the behaviour 'creeps up on me'.

Any ideas? Or suggestions of additional information I can give/checks I can make?

Otherwise, (apart from Suspend not working except at the very beginning), it all looks extremely smooth and well integrated - lovely infact!

regards,

Chris_W
Screenshot_2014-04-29_230227_2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   85.46 KB
 Viewed   278 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-04-29_230227_2.png

peebee

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2014, 07:33    Post_subject: Re: LxPup Startup System Tray Prob  

Chris_W wrote:
Any ideas? Or suggestions of additional information I can give/checks I can make?

Otherwise, (apart from Suspend not working except at the very beginning), it all looks extremely smooth and well integrated - lovely infact!

regards,

Chris_W

Hi Chris_W

Thanks for the feedback.

Which "flavour" of LxPup14.03 are you running?

How do you do a reboot? Do you always go through the Menu - Session route or do you at any time do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to drop out to the terminal?

Your error message is a symptom of /root/.config/autostart directory being absent I think. Can you look in /root/.config and see if either autostart or lx-autostart are there?

I've been a bit worried about this logic for a bit, so am interested in what is going wrong for you.....

[Later] Marv (thanks Marv) has suggested a fix - please try the pet below to see if it helps - if you have no autostart or lx-autostart in /root/.config then you will need do a fresh install.....

Cheers
PeeBee

Edited_time_total
Chris_W

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2014, 17:36    Post_subject:  

> Which "flavour" of LxPup14.03 are you running?
The non-pae one based on Slacko 5.7

> How do you do a reboot? Always through the menu.

Disclosure: I did also at one point add in the .pet for the Crunchy theme (don't recall the exact name) as I wanted the black menu look of LxPup 13.01... Uninstalled later to try and remove fault possibility...

Will check the /root/.config situation & try the .pet when as soon as I can. (Currently at work & out this evening)...

Thanks for the help so far Surprised)

cheers Chris_W
Chris_W

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2014, 07:00    Post_subject:  

Hi Peebee,

> Can you look in /root/.config and see if either autostart or lx-autostart are there?
Neither were there - you were right.

> please try the attached pet to see if it helps.
I've created a fresh pup_save & installed the suggested .pet
It seems to have solved the problem in that /root/.config/autostart exists now, and I've been able to add/mess with fonts, add crunchie theme etc, all good.

Strangely though, I still need to do a mouse click on startup to have the taskbar show up, and a gap displays where Retrovol should be... (I have to kill and restart it). I think Retrovol is starting first? & has some sort of timing prob?
No biggie tho.

Thanks for your help on this (& to Marv to) - this puppy is fantastic!

cheers Chris_W
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:07    Post_subject:  

Chris_W wrote:
I've created a fresh pup_save & installed the suggested .pet
It seems to have solved the problem in that /root/.config/autostart exists now, and I've been able to add/mess with fonts, add crunchie theme etc, all good.

Strangely though, I still need to do a mouse click on startup to have the taskbar show up, and a gap displays where Retrovol should be... (I have to kill and restart it). I think Retrovol is starting first? & has some sort of timing prob?
cheers Chris_W

Hi Chris_W

Superceded - later pet further down....

The mouse click on startup is a known "feature".....

Cheers
peebee

Edited_time_total
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 17 of 27 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum