D-Link DWL-G650 (PCMCIA) wireless connection help

Booting, installing, newbie
MattTom

D-Link DWL-G650 (PCMCIA) wireless connection help

#1 Post by MattTom »

Hi. I'm new to Linux, but I decided that my old laptop (ThinkPad 600, PII 233MHz, 160MB RAM) needed a smaller OS and, after having tried several, I'm very impressed with Puppy (running 2.11), and I think it will work well for me.

My current problem is in trying to set up my wireless internet connection. My wireless card is a D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA card.

I am attempting to use ndiswrapper to allow me to use the windows drivers. As far as I can tell, the drivers are successfully installed (ndiswrapper -l returns "neta3ab driver installed" which is the name of the driver, so that seems a good sign). However, the command modprobe ndiswrapper returns nothing, and the command iwconfig returns "lo no wireless extensions". WAG tells me that my wireless card is "not active" and "not responding" so perhaps there is an issue with my PCMCIA slot not getting recognized?

Please help if you can; I think I've included all the relevant information, but I'm happy to supply more if needed.

r__hughes

#2 Post by r__hughes »

The only thing remaining is to set up how it connects to the network.
Are you using a router that provides IP addresses? (router setup for DHCP)
Is your connection WEP encrypted? (router setup)
Does the network have a name? channel? MAC# filter? (router setups)

Which puppy are you using and where did you get your neta3ab driver - was it from wifi-104-beta-2.pup?

I can get my D-Link DWL-610 802.11b to connect from rxvt by using the
following commands --

modprobe ndiswrapper # (install & link wifi driver netdlwl)
iwconfig wlan0 channel 3 essid Saturn key 8765432222 mode Managed
rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid # (remove any old dhcpcd request)
dhcpcd -t 40 -h puppypc -d wlan0 # (40 sec dhcp request for IP)

I am using 64bit WEP encryption with a 10-digit hex code and the router manages the IP addresses.

I have 2 green lights on the pcmcia card.
The first comes on steady after the 1st line
The second starts flashing after the last - when the card is talking to the router but hasn't necessarily got its IP address yet.
Check for valid IP address in rxvt by typing
ipaddr
ifconfig
iwconfig

If all this works then use the network wizard to make the setup permanent
Good Luck