Openbox/Fbpanel, How to set it all up.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
WillM

#61 Post by WillM »

This is an Openbox pipe menu to open ROX Filer Bookmarks.

# Name this file bookmarks.sh by removing the .zip extension.
# Place in ~/.config/openbox. Make executable.
# Add the following line to ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml:

Code: Select all

<menu id="Bookmarks" label="Bookmarks" execute="~/.config/openbox/bookmarks.sh"/>
# Then click on Reconfigure in the Openbox menu.
Attachments
bookmarks.sh.zip
(706 Bytes) Downloaded 627 times
menu.jpg
(20.09 KiB) Downloaded 1428 times

rmcellig

#62 Post by rmcellig »

Does this tutorial work with Slacko 5.5? I am trying out Slacko now. I have Openbox working, and I also have fbpanel showing up in the Desktop menu but no fbpanel at the bottom of my screen.

Sky Aisling

#63 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello, :)
Looks like there's not much activity on this thread, but, I'll try anyway.

Can Openbox be put on Puppy 571?

Machine has:
1.5GB RAM
75GB HDD
PAE
Precise Puppy 571 as full install on HDD.

I've downloaded the .pets from the first post of this thread.
Openbox shows in desktop settings menu, but, does not activate.
Openbox does not show as a menu item when doing a right click on desktop to show desktop menu. (On Lupu 528, Openbox shows below the *shutdown* option on the desktop menu.)
Download and installation appeared to go without issue.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Edit:It appears that a windows manager switcher is needed. The only windows manager that is evident in the system is JWM.

mill0001

Openbox

#64 Post by mill0001 »

@Sky Aisling: To start Openbox Try exiting to prompt, then type "startx openbox" (without quotes). I think that may do the trick for you. Let me know.

Moat

#65 Post by Moat »

Hmm... or maybe try "xwin openbox"...I think?

BTW, vicmz's fantastic OpenboxPlus 1.6.1 pet includes a wm switcher, IIRC (as well as Tint2) - and works beautifully in Precise 5.7.1... if you're OK with LxPanel instead of Fbpanel, that is.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86206

Bob

radky

#66 Post by radky »

Sky Aisling,

You may be interested in FbBox which features fbpanel and the openbox window manager in a relatively small pet that integrates with most modern Woof-built Puppies, including Precise 5.7.1.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92982
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Sky Aisling

#67 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you everyone,
I'll give these a try and post back.
:D

The the themes are so appealing in Openbox.
@radky
Your Slacko with FbBox and twilight background is stunning. Nice work!

Sky Aisling

#68 Post by Sky Aisling »

Using Precise Puppy 5.7.1 as Live CD (not full install as I mentioned in first post).

Thank you, mill0001
@Sky Aisling: To start Openbox Try exiting to prompt, then type "startx openbox" (without quotes). I think that may do the trick for you. Let me know.
Negative
An Xpanel is thrown to the top of the screen.
The original panel is still at the bottom of the screen.
There is no activation of Openbox.
Reboot no longer activates.
Exit to prompt no longer activates.
Restart Xserver no longer activates.
Power down no longer activates.
I've uninstalled openbox and obconfig.
Shutdown options still don't activate.
I will cold cut the machine.
pause...
I have cold cut the machine and restarted.
The test changes to the save file must have carried over.
The desktop menu *shut down* options no longer activate.
I'll clean off the corrupted savefile and start a fresh Precise 571 savefile.
Then I'll try Moat's suggestion and radky's suggestion.
Note:
I took the openbox download from the first post in this thread.
I'm thinking there have been updates to the original that I've missed.
DaveS posted this .pet in 2011.
I have a hunch it's going to be the window switcher that does the trick. :)

Sky Aisling

#69 Post by Sky Aisling »

Using Precise Puppy 5.7.1 as Live CD (not full install as I mentioned in first post)

Thank you, Moat
Hmm... or maybe try "xwin openbox"...I think?

Negative
Same results as mill0001 suggestion.

I'll move on to radky's suggestion. :)

Sky Aisling

#70 Post by Sky Aisling »

Using Precise Puppy 5.7.1 as Live CD (not full install as I mentioned in first post)

Thank you, radky
You may be interested in FbBox which features fbpanel and the openbox window manager in a relatively small pet that integrates with most modern Woof-built Puppies, including Precise 5.7.1.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92982
YES! Beautiful!

I'll tinker with it some more, but, at first blush it's working perfect. I've added WBar-2.3.4 and it's working with it fine.

The only downer is that I was trying Openbox in order to get the theme *Anchos* which is not listed on this version. Is there a place I can download *Anchos* theme?

Such a relief to have a beautiful background image come up on first boot.

Thank you, again for all the fine work you've put into this, radky.

radky

#71 Post by radky »

You are welcome Sky Aisling.

From the Ubuntu Universe repository you can download a comprehensive package of almost 100 openbox themes, including the Anchos theme.

After downloading the deb package below, you can extract with the Xarchive utility (available in the Puppy menu), and then place the Anchos folder in /usr/share/themes.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... .2_all.deb

Enjoy! :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Sky Aisling

#72 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, radky
You are welcome Sky Aisling.

From the Ubuntu Universe repository you can download a comprehensive package of almost 100 openbox themes, including the Anchos theme.

After downloading the deb package below, you can extract with the Xarchive utility (available in the Puppy menu), and then place the Anchos folder in /usr/share/themes.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... .2_all.deb

Enjoy! Smile

I cheated. I copied the *Anchos* folder from Puppy-528 /usr/share/themes and copied it to /usr/share/themes in Precise-571. Working fine. :wink:

johnywhy

#73 Post by johnywhy »

hi, i'm running FbBox-2.0_32Bit.pet on top of TahrPup. Generally seems to work well. Thx for that!

But, then i installed pcmanfm_1.2.0-1_i386.deb , and cannot get it to run.

It seemed to install ok, and it's available in the "Run" box, but nothing runs when i launch it.

i checked its dependencies with ListDD-Packages, and saw it's missing libfm and libfmgtk. So i installed the closest i could find in package manager, but got a whole bunch of failed downloads. Plz see screenshots. (i recently updated my repositories)

Any suggestions for getting PCManFM running on FbBox?

thx!
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(43.23 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
image-1.jpg
(45.59 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
image-3.jpg
(23.1 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

steve_s

Re: Set wallpaper with openbox pipemenu.

#74 Post by steve_s »

stu90 wrote:Here is a mini guide and the scripts needed to add a pipe menu to openbox that will display all .jpg and .png images in a directory as a menu entry and then apply which ever is selected as a desktop wallpaper.

First download the two scripts at the bottom of this post - then right click > rename and delete the fake .gz extension for both scripts.
Now right click on each script > properties and tick the three boxes under the Exec column - this makes the scripts executable.
If you open this script as text near the top you will see

setwalle script:
This is the script that sets the background wallpaper - move this to /usr/bin

wallp.sh script:
This is the script that generates the openbox pipe menu - move this to /etc/xdg/openbox/scripts
(if you don't have a scripts directory there create one then put wallp.sh inside it.)
If you open this script as text near the top is:
WALLDIR="/usr/share/backgrounds"
This is the directory the script looks in for wallpapers - if your wallpapers are stored in a different directory delete the path between to two quote marks and enter the path to you own wallpaper directory.
WALLDIR="/path/to/my/wallpapers"

This next part can be quite tricky as we now need to add to the main openbox menu the new wallpaper pipe menu.

<menu execute="/etc/xdg/openbox/scripts/wallp.sh" id="wallp-menu" label="Wallpapers"/>
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu_top.xml
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu_bottom.xml
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml

These are the three files you could add the new pipe menu to - i have added mine to /etc/xdg/openbox/menu_top.xml
Navigate to this file and open as text - then paste the code above on the line above this one:
<menu id="root-menu" label="Puppy Linux">
Now save the file and open a terminal window and enter the command fixmenus

If all has gone well you should now have a new menu that lists all your wallpapers and when you click on one it should be applied as you desktop wallpaper.
Couldn't get this to work 'cause something keeps overwriting the root-menu or menu.xml. Is there a way around it? I loved having this when I ran fluxbox and wanna get it working here...

Ideas?

steve_s

#75 Post by steve_s »

I would also love to be able to get rid of Rox Filer at the top of my menu as I prefer to use pcmanfm on this puppy.

But, of course, I edit menu.xml and it gets overwritten.

Anyone know a way around that one?

Edit: figured this one out. Edited the file /usr/sbin/fixmenus and added a # to comment out the line at the bottom of the file that has

[ `which obmenu-refresh` ] && obmenu-refresh
8)
Last edited by steve_s on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 15:09, edited 2 times in total.

steve_s

#76 Post by steve_s »

johnywhy wrote:hi, i'm running FbBox-2.0_32Bit.pet on top of TahrPup. Generally seems to work well. Thx for that!

But, then i installed pcmanfm_1.2.0-1_i386.deb , and cannot get it to run.

It seemed to install ok, and it's available in the "Run" box, but nothing runs when i launch it.

i checked its dependencies with ListDD-Packages, and saw it's missing libfm and libfmgtk. So i installed the closest i could find in package manager, but got a whole bunch of failed downloads. Plz see screenshots. (i recently updated my repositories)

Any suggestions for getting PCManFM running on FbBox?

thx!
I got it running by searching rpm pbone site for each library, downloading the rpm that it recomends (make sure it is the version you need, either 64 bit or i586 or whatever), unpack it then copy the needed libraries (usually it's two, a symlink and a library file) to /usr/lib. Yeah, on mine there were like four missing libraries. Now it runs just fine.

But this post may be too old for what you want, but I hope it helps. 8)

666philb

#77 Post by 666philb »

Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

steve_s

Re: Set wallpaper with openbox pipemenu.

#78 Post by steve_s »

stu90 wrote:Here is a mini guide and the scripts needed to add a pipe menu to openbox that will display all .jpg and .png images in a directory as a menu entry and then apply which ever is selected as a desktop wallpaper.

First download the two scripts at the bottom of this post - then right click > rename and delete the fake .gz extension for both scripts.
Now right click on each script > properties and tick the three boxes under the Exec column - this makes the scripts executable.
If you open this script as text near the top you will see

setwalle script:
This is the script that sets the background wallpaper - move this to /usr/bin

wallp.sh script:
This is the script that generates the openbox pipe menu - move this to /etc/xdg/openbox/scripts
(if you don't have a scripts directory there create one then put wallp.sh inside it.)
If you open this script as text near the top is:
WALLDIR="/usr/share/backgrounds"
This is the directory the script looks in for wallpapers - if your wallpapers are stored in a different directory delete the path between to two quote marks and enter the path to you own wallpaper directory.
WALLDIR="/path/to/my/wallpapers"

This next part can be quite tricky as we now need to add to the main openbox menu the new wallpaper pipe menu.

<menu execute="/etc/xdg/openbox/scripts/wallp.sh" id="wallp-menu" label="Wallpapers"/>
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu_top.xml
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu_bottom.xml
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml

These are the three files you could add the new pipe menu to - i have added mine to /etc/xdg/openbox/menu_top.xml
Navigate to this file and open as text - then paste the code above on the line above this one:
<menu id="root-menu" label="Puppy Linux">
Now save the file and open a terminal window and enter the command fixmenus

If all has gone well you should now have a new menu that lists all your wallpapers and when you click on one it should be applied as you desktop wallpaper.
Got it to go.

Used the info from this one and set up that menu then added the info from this one to the new menu.xml.

thanks to stu90 for all the posted info and to DaveS for the work on Openbox. 8)