Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
puppy_apprentice

#1461 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Now is clear why Debian will be using systemd. Because Debian is RH puppet ;)

Recently Linus was not nice for one of systemd coders (there were some bugs in systemd that kernel coders have to try avoid via kernel patches). So it seems that Linus is the only one thrustworthy man (but we don't have to forget that his father works in UE parliament and some people perceive UE as a one of NWO agencies) ;)

Pete

#1462 Post by Pete »

Debian based Puppies anyone?

puppy_apprentice

#1463 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Pete wrote:
Does the NSA (and other agencies) have the capability to spy on you via your computer?
Absolutely.

Do they?

Who knows, unless you are engaged in some seriously dodgy stuff, why should they spend time and resources on of the Terabytes of data generated daily (and intercepted by them) to single you out.
NSA is listening whole world. Acording to Snowden they everyday collect metadata from our smartphones, smarttvs. They can plug to every internet node in the world (eg AT&T). They don't have to breake into our computers to know something about us. I don't have eg. Facebook acount but if my friend open such an account Facebook will get my eg. e-mail adress, my name and surname.

Bruce Schneier (cryptography expert) have two computers one for browsing and another for work and data (offline).
Last edited by puppy_apprentice on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

puppy_apprentice

#1464 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Pete wrote:Debian based Puppies anyone?
I'm jocking about Debian. But there are Puppies based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu is Debian based ;)

Colonel Panic

#1465 Post by Colonel Panic »

puppy_apprentice wrote:
Pete wrote:Debian based Puppies anyone?
I'm jocking about Debian. But there are Puppies based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu is Debian based ;)
DPup is based on Debian, and I think Exprimo is too. There may be others, but I don't know of any.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

bark_bark_bark

#1466 Post by bark_bark_bark »

closed source kernel firmware may be spying on us. If we remove it 95% of hardware will not work.

puppy_apprentice

#1467 Post by puppy_apprentice »

bark_bark_bark wrote:closed source kernel firmware may be spying on us. If we remove it 95% of hardware will not work.
True. Before i've bought my last laptop i've bring to shop CD with gNewSense. Checked, everything was working so i've bought it. So if machine will works with Libre it will works with every distro.

Pete

#1468 Post by Pete »

bark_bark_bark wrote:closed source kernel firmware may be spying on us. If we remove it 95% of hardware will not work.
And in many cases we actively seek it out and use it.
Take wifi for example, the open drivers for a specific card don't work, what do we do?
Rush and load ndiswrapper and immediately load a closed source driver, right there on a communications device connected to the outside world.

So for those that want to continue to assume that Puppy has no back doors, go right ahead.
I for one will assume the exact opposite.

James C

#1469 Post by James C »

James C wrote: We all must immediately turn off all electronic devices........we can't trust anyone.......spies are everywhere.

nooby

#1470 Post by nooby »

James C wrote:
James C wrote: We all must immediately turn off all electronic devices........we can't trust anyone.......spies are everywhere.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#1471 Post by nooby »

The only way to find out if such is implemented is to gain
enough knowledge on how to detect it. To be too categorical
and to include Barry being blackmailed to comply seems to be
too much into fantasy land for me but sure I can be wrong.

How does one find out?

Colonel Panic

#1472 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the release edition (RC1) of Vector Linux 7.1 (32-bit). It looks good but at the moment I can't really recommend that anyone else try it; the place selector stalled on the A's, for example, and I ended up choosing Johannesburg instead of London for my timezone, and so far I haven't been able to get networking going.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 12 Apr 2014, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#1473 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic...
I notice you also are using LegacyOS 2.1 LTS. That's the new (Puppy) distro I've been trying out and using right now, too.
So did you have any problems getting it to boot?

When I put it on a spare 40G hard drive I had,...it installed grub and booted just fine. But when I try to put it on a larger (160G) hard drive ...triple booted with WinXP and Slackware,..its a no go! It installs just fine, the grub seems to install,...then...

The grub won't even work, until I use another Puppy's CD to install the grub for it. Then it does just like your user name,...loads right to "Kernal Panic". I wonder if it's because Legacy won't work on a hard drive with WinXP on it, (on the first partition)

But maybe it works only on its own hard drive,...or with just other linux distros like you have on yours. (?) :?:

What do you think? Ever tried to dual boot it with windows?

James C

#1474 Post by James C »

James C wrote:More for the conspiracy theorists.....

Julian Assange: Debian Is Owned By The NSA

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04 ... y-the-nsa/
I recommend watching his 36 minute Q&A in its entirety, keeping in mind my recent warnings about how GNU/Linux is almost entirely engineered by the government/military-affiliated Red Hat corporation.
We all must immediately turn off all electronic devices........we can't trust anyone.......spies are everywhere.

Sorry all conspiracy theorists, apparantly the headline is a malicious lie. Glyn Moody says Wikileaks denies it.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7565195
Who is upvoting this BS... This article is just link-bait and FUD... Nowhere in the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFFTYRWB0Tk) does Julian Assange say that "Debian Is Owned By The NSA" as the article title implies. All he says is that open-source systems are still vulnerable to attacks by APTs such as nation-states through the introduction of backdoors disguised as bugs...snip

Pete

#1475 Post by Pete »

It may or not be a lie, we will never know.
I'm still not assuming that Puppy has no back doors, but I would rather take my chances with Puppy than others.

peebee

Ubuntu One file services closing down

#1476 Post by peebee »

We are writing to you to notify you that we will be shutting down the
Ubuntu One file services, effective 1 June 2014. While the service will stop as of
1 June, you will have an additional two months (until 31 July 2014) to
collect all of your content. After that date, all remaining content will
be deleted.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

nooby

#1477 Post by nooby »

So if I get it the one file service makes it easier for the NSA
to put in such software or is it not related to installation of such?

Pete

#1478 Post by Pete »

Nooby

It's not really important if you have to install something or not, the fact that if you use a service like Google docs, Dropbox, One file and others, all your documents are in one easy place for the authorities to peruse at their leisure.

rokytnji

#1479 Post by rokytnji »

http://blog.eracc.com/2010/01/22/the-gn ... -syndrome/

Now back on topic. I have not yet decided what to do yet with this 4 primary partition Compaq CQ-57 that I customized last night.

I run Slack0 5.7 inside of Windows 7 as a .exe program file on this laptop.
I am not in a hurry yet to decide on what is next yet or how I am gonna
make this dog hunt. What I have accomplished so far.

http://antix.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4957

Back off topic. I never sweat what seems to bother other members.
Having partied with Sonny Barger and Don Chambers in the past.

I figure I am in a govts. database any hows.
They will be wasting money on me following me
with drones. Your money and mine. :lol:

Colonel Panic

#1480 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Colonel Panic...
I notice you also are using LegacyOS 2.1 LTS. That's the new (Puppy) distro I've been trying out and using right now, too.
So did you have any problems getting it to boot?

When I put it on a spare 40G hard drive I had,...it installed grub and booted just fine. But when I try to put it on a larger (160G) hard drive ...triple booted with WinXP and Slackware,..its a no go! It installs just fine, the grub seems to install,...then...

The grub won't even work, until I use another Puppy's CD to install the grub for it. Then it does just like your user name,...loads right to "Kernal Panic". I wonder if it's because Legacy won't work on a hard drive with WinXP on it, (on the first partition)

But maybe it works only on its own hard drive,...or with just other linux distros like you have on yours. (?) :?:

What do you think? Ever tried to dual boot it with windows?
Hi nitehawk,

I've never tried to use Legacy on a hard drive with any version of Windows, so I honestly couldn't comment. I have had trouble dual booting it with series 4 versions of Puppy though, and others have helped me with advice, towards the bottom of this thread;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 035#767035

I can't promise it will work on a 160 GB hard drive, perhaps John's the one to ask on that one.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 12 Apr 2014, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.