Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
James C

#1481 Post by James C »

For whatever it's worth, I'm running Legacy OS 2.1 LTS on an old P3 test box with Windows 2000,Vector and about 10 Puppy installs...... 214X,412 NOP,Lucid,Wary, etc....... everything boots fine with good old legacy Grub.

nitehawk

#1482 Post by nitehawk »

Thanks for the replys, Colonel Panic,..and James C.

At least I know it can be done,..it's just that somehow I'm not able to get Legacy to boot, even when I use Grub4Dos. Leave it to me to have a "glitch" of some kind :lol:

Colonel Panic

#1483 Post by Colonel Panic »

An oldie but goodie; I've just installed the largest version of ttuuxxx's Fire Hydrant Puppy, Inferno, which is based on Puppy 3.00. It's got nearly all the software I need, looks good and yet still runs quietly, which is a big plus when you use an old computer like mine (probably needs 512 MB of RAM rather than 256, though).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

CLAM01

#1484 Post by CLAM01 »

Hi all,
I'm sorry to have started a controversy and not been able to stay with it. I am off for the weekend. But I will provide mre information next week.

For the record, I do not deprecate BK, or what he has done creating puppy linux. From my reviewing of puppy and its present situation, my view is that BK put together an excellent Linux distro. One that was too good security-wise, and too readily portable and live-use usable. In virgin form puppy can provide secure net-use for the e-incompetent (who I attempt to provide secure-computing environment to) and to hit-and-run communication capabilities to terrorists. It is puppy's ability to do the last that freaked out the spy-world crowd, become accustomed to not having to do leg-work, but only sit at a terminal and monitor, and locate. Some of the spyware in puppy is ancient, eg, 'freedesktop', which harvests metadata. The ICANHAZIP thing looks like an update of that system, and it does appear Barry resisted screwing up his hobby-creation for "security".

More later.

puppy_apprentice

#1485 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Many distros use ICANHAZIP. Gogle for it, or search phrase "how to get own ip adress in Linux". And you don't have to use this service in puppy. I'm not using myself not that i have something against it, because i'm using usb modem and gprs connect script shows my ip so i dn't need ICANHAZIP.

But if you need extra security and if you have strong machine try Linux distro made by Polish hackers (white hats):

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=qubes

greengeek

#1486 Post by greengeek »

Pete wrote:Debian based Puppies anyone?
Which puppies are Debian based? For some reason I was under the impression that MOST puppies used deb packages, with the exception of slackware based or T2 based pups. I just really don't know which is which at all.

puppy_apprentice

#1487 Post by puppy_apprentice »

jump

and Ubuntu based can use .deb.

greengeek

#1488 Post by greengeek »

puppy_apprentice wrote:and Ubuntu based can use .deb.
I've used .debs on slacko and other pups too though...so was just wondering to what extent puppy code is 'it's own', and to what extent 'borrowed' from debian.

puppy_apprentice

#1489 Post by puppy_apprentice »

I think that scripts to manage packages in Slacko (and others) understand .deb packages format. Those are compressed archives so it is easy to extract stuff and save in relevant directories. As I remember we have in Puppyland scripts to convert e.g. .deb to .pup/pet etc.

mcewanw

#1490 Post by mcewanw »

Slitaz Raspberry Pi release:

http://www.slitaz.org/en/news/#d20140329
github mcewanw

Colonel Panic

#1491 Post by Colonel Panic »

puppy_apprentice wrote:jump

and Ubuntu based can use .deb.
I don't think it's the other way round though; a deb based release won't automatically open and install Ubuntu files. I'd be happy to be corrected on this.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

puppy_apprentice

#1492 Post by puppy_apprentice »

As i know it is hard to use Ubuntu packages (especially as .run installers, btw. is .run is free or closed format?) outside Ubuntu. To many Ubuntu specific patches added to packages (Ubuntu want to go his own way), i think.

nooby

#1493 Post by nooby »

Before going out and buying RPi check that the Slitaz can handle
the ARM cpu the Slitax is made for.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

bark_bark_bark

#1494 Post by bark_bark_bark »

puppy_apprentice wrote:As i know it is hard to use Ubuntu packages (especially as .run installers, btw. is .run is free or closed format?) outside Ubuntu. To many Ubuntu specific patches added to packages (Ubuntu want to go his own way), i think.
.run is closed

nitehawk

#1495 Post by nitehawk »

Woot!!!
Just now managed to get LegacyOS 2.1 LTS to dual boot with wXP on a 120G hard drive. I think I was having trouble in getting Grub to work in Legacy,...because the drive I was trying to install it to was bad. :cry:

It was a nice 165G hard drive,...but diagnostics showed it was beginning to fail, and had to be replaced. Ah well,...as Homer Simpson always says: "Nothing lasts forever!"

At least I have Legacy working now,..and all is fine.

bark_bark_bark

#1496 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I couldn't get Legacy OS 2.1 LTS to work in Virtualbox.

In other news, one of the worst distros (Ubuntu) is having a new version come out (14.04 LTS) on the 17th of April.

James C

Porteus

#1497 Post by James C »

http://forum.porteus.org/ and http://www.porteus.org/ both return...
NOTICE

Porteus has been suspended by developers until further notice.

CLAM01

#1498 Post by CLAM01 »

I apologize for detouring this thread with my incidental comments. I will go to the thread James C linked to in the "off topic" "security" section, "Why is this strange IP address in my network connections?".

To tie up ends here, 1. I do not recommend ditching all electronics or getting off the 'net entirely. I do recommend doing NO IMPORTANT BUSINESS on the web and insulating all personal production, especially creative production, from exposure to the web, advertently or inadvertently. 2. I use, and recommend puppy linux, but recommend avoiding all after 5.5 (I stop at 5.3). My cut-off more or less coincides with when BK received a large donation after his house was peculiarly burgled, before he moved to Perth without saying anything about moving in his blog. The three events are "mysterious", potentially "suspicious" to someone who does investigation. 3. For web use I recommend a puppy linux run from a closed CD (CD-R best), in RAM, with no save-file and no hard-disk or storage attached while the computer is on-net (physically detach from network before attaching storage to save downloads) and don't ever attach storage devices you keep personal work on, except to upload what you feel free to give to all the world. 4. The fundamental weakness of BK's puppy linuxes is that they were single-developer maintained, which means they had single-developer security oversight. What a malicious attacker could slip past the single security guardian would be in. In the distro, in woof, in all down-line carrying the infected software. Google attacks on the linux kernel to read reports of its being attacked, and how easily doors can be opened (one they caught was a double-equals changed to a single, that someone had broken into a trusted coder's machine to change in a section of the kernel code). 5. There are more ways than through a distro-builder's build to remotely break into computers attached to the web. PXE BIOSs, for example, have remote accessibility built in, and manufacturers will add spy devices for government agencies that ask, to "obey the law" and for being economically hostage. In more or less recent news was report of the Athena Project, a non-profit who provide the X-Window System, having had its tax-exemption unaccountably pulled, indicating a probability that the developers had balked at adding or permitting a door a government agency demanded (Athena is at U.S. MIT, who are hostage for fiscal dependency on the U.S. Department of Defense for contracts. Freedesktop, one of the earliest metadata collector systems appears to be included in X-Windows. To see what freedesktop collects, and how, look for dot-file ".recently-used.xbel", in root-hidden-files in older puppies, under ".local" and down in newer, and 'open as text'. Freedesktop collects your metadata on your own computer, indicating how old it is.

Incidentally, for James C, who wants proof, ICANHAZIP is a bot-center site. What puppy computers are doing when they ping the "free-service" is called writing home. The bot-net member computer pings to tell the master-bot that it is on-line, ready to receive orders. Yes, puppy computers may help governments carry out DOS attacks against "enemies of the state", such as wikileaks, anonymous and free-speech sites that irritate those with use-access to the NSA's bot-net. Is this conspiracy-theory, or have we come to the point in the old story of the little-boy who cried " Conspiracy Theory!" until no one paid any attention, where there really is one, and it really is eating all the e-sheep?

Moat

#1499 Post by Moat »

James C wrote:Still running LXLE on this old dual-core.....pretty solid with no real problems.

http://lxle.net/
Hi James C -

Still using LXLE at all? Any long(er)-term bugs of note?

As a general fan of Lubuntu and Openbox/LxPanel/Lxde, I finally got around to trying LXLE and am extremely impressed. A light and fast running Lubuntu, with a near perfect selection of pre-installed apps, along with some other very useful, well thought out tweaks and utilities. And what appears to be a fantastically low CPU use - idling @ ~1% on this old HP DV5000 laptop.

The only bug I've encountered so far is one I've seen on Lubuntu, too - in that certain applications refuse to render gtk themes, resulting in that old, blocky Win95 look. Minor!

It's apparent that the folks that created LXLE put some real effort into a complete, OOTB, user-friendly system. I think I'll soon be installing it over my Lubuntu partition...

Really big thumbs up, so far! 8)

Bob

nooby

Re: Porteus

#1500 Post by nooby »

James C wrote:http://forum.porteus.org/ and http://www.porteus.org/ both return...
NOTICE

Porteus has been suspended by developers until further notice.
It shows how vulnerable we are using volunteer Developers.
How to keep enough of them motivated is not eaasy to know.

Geting paid could be one solution or to do Dev duging School assignemnt to show one know how to?

Does any of you know more about what did happen?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though