LibreOffice + language packs (latest version: 6.1.4)

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.

slavvo67

#82 Post by slavvo67 »

I literally just downloaded the 4.2 in Tahr last night. No big changes in 4.2.2 I hope?

Note: Works in Tahr but the Menu icons do not seem to work. I decided to go into usr/bin and change libreoffice4.2 to libreoffice so I can just type it into the shell console to boot. No problem, that way.

Puppus Dogfellow

#83 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:I literally just downloaded the 4.2 in Tahr last night. No big changes in 4.2.2 I hope?

Note: Works in Tahr but the Menu icons do not seem to work. I decided to go into usr/bin and change libreoffice4.2 to libreoffice so I can just type it into the shell console to boot. No problem, that way.
bug fixes and possibly a few new menu items from what i skimmed. maybe a few new text special effects/"now with a box around it," etc.

sfs installed great in 561, the pet in tahr was fine but for the fact it changed my icon shortcuts back to default (i prefer odt and doc/docx differentiated at a glance. and big icons generally bug me.) my menu stayed intact. (same entries that were there for 4.2.0 still work. i guess the change from 4.2.0 to 4.2.2 is less of a hassle for the machine than from the 4.1 series to the 4.2.)

i've got one more install to do, the pet into precise 5.5--will be very surprised if i don't have to relink the icons, but not if the menu needs a reboot or a jwm restart or similar. [update: menu entries/icons were fine, custom desktop icons reset to default.]

anyway, almost assuredly no real difference (they update by time not issue).

vicmz

#84 Post by vicmz »

Thanks! First page updated.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

slavvo67

#85 Post by slavvo67 »

Mine was a clean install to Tahr but for some reason the menu icons didn't tie back to the program. It might be a me issue, so I'll probably just up to the 4.2.2, anyway.

Best and thanks for the pet / sfs!

Slavvo67

Puppus Dogfellow

#86 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz wrote:
Thanks! First page updated.
you're welcome.

slavvo67 wrote:Mine was a clean install to Tahr but for some reason the menu icons didn't tie back to the program. It might be a me issue, so I'll probably just up to the 4.2.2, anyway.

Best and thanks for the pet / sfs!

Slavvo67
sorry/you're welcome.

even after a reboot the menu items were useless? (bringing it up because i think i remember once having to reboot to get an early 4.0 or 4.1 installation to work right).

vicmz

#87 Post by vicmz »

Could it be the menu files? For example, in Openbox I had to edit the Documents section in the lxde-applications.menu file. I added "Office" to the list of categories and then the entries popped in.

Here's LibreOffice 4.2.3 fresh from the bakery:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwu348ou2vqqe ... _es_xz.sfs
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

slavvo67

#88 Post by slavvo67 »

Yes, even after the reboot I have dead menu icons. I didn't try the 2 new versions, yet.

I did a quick fix by creating a launcher in root/my-applications/bin, calling it libre1 and throwing a link and icon onto the desktop. So now I just type libre1 in the console or click the icon on the desktop.

#!/bin/bash
libreoffice --writer

It's strange that they don't work. I hate dead menu entries to I think I'll tear the pet open and try to fix for Tahr.

Puppus Dogfellow

#89 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz wrote:
This LibreOffice packages were compiled or generated by forum members and put here for reference. The packages should work for most Puppy Linux versions. Some packages include a second language, for example French or Spanish. LibreOffice will set to the system language or the language you choose at Tools > Options > Languages, so you can perfectly use any of these LibreOffice packages in English, or in any other language by installing a langpack, see the language packs section at the end of the post.
English + Spanish translation and help files created using the get-libreoffice utility by 01micko:

[...]

Here's LibreOffice 4.2.3 fresh from the bakery:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwu348ou2vqqe ... _es_xz.sfs
i mirrored LO423-es-en.sfs with a name change to reflect it's got the english text also.

LO423-es-en.pet is a pet made from it.

vic, like you, i use 01micko's program to get the sfs together. please word future thread openings to acknowledge him in my efforts as well. thanks.

on my machines, right clicking on an sfs results in (among fifty other things) four ways to turn it into a pet. i'm almost certain TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet-20121001 is what i use...

so 423 is out already, huh. i posted the sched in this thread. maybe i should have checked it out...
slavvo67 wrote:I literally just downloaded the 4.2 in Tahr last night.
:D

slavvo67

#90 Post by slavvo67 »

You're killing me!!! But I sing your praises!! I just scripted a very simple terminal conversion tool and I'm very happy! :D

Now I need to make sure the conversions are true to form (not true to themselves --- I hate that stupid phrase). :lol:

vicmz

#91 Post by vicmz »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: i mirrored LO423-es-en.sfs with a name change to reflect it's got the english text also.

Good idea, thanks for the PET version. However, the first page does explain that all packages can be used in English or in another language by installing a langpack PET, either by the default system language or by setting a specific language at the LibreOffice Options.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:vic, like you, i use 01micko's program to get the sfs together. please word future thread openings to acknowledge him in my efforts as well.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:on my machines, right clicking on an sfs results in (among fifty other things) four ways to turn it into a pet. i'm almost certain TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet-20121001 is what i use...
Then now unless indicated SFS files are generated by 01micko's getlibreoffice tool, and PET files are generated by TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet tool.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:so 423 is out already, huh. i posted the sched in this thread. maybe i should have checked it out...
I was going to make a new package, too. Then I checked the release schedule you'd linked in an older post of this thread, and decided to wait. I don't think I can keep up with all release dates, and I don't think users change versions so frequently either. Nevertheless, users can request packages of the new versions if these are considered to be important updates.

Puppus Dogfellow

#92 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: i mirrored LO423-es-en.sfs with a name change to reflect it's got the english text also.

Good idea, thanks for the PET version. However, the first page does explain that all packages can be used in English or in another language by installing a langpack PET, either by the default system language or by setting a specific language at the LibreOffice Options.
that wasn't a suggestion for you, just an explanation as to why i changed the name (my repo doesn't have your text explaining that).
vicmz wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:vic, like you, i use 01micko's program to get the sfs together. please word future thread openings to acknowledge him in my efforts as well.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:on my machines, right clicking on an sfs results in (among fifty other things) four ways to turn it into a pet. i'm almost certain TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet-20121001 is what i use...
Then now unless indicated SFS files are generated by 01micko's getlibreoffice tool, and PET files are generated by TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet tool.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:so 423 is out already, huh. i posted the sched in this thread. maybe i should have checked it out...
I was going to make a new package, too. Then I checked the release schedule you'd linked in an older post of this thread, and decided to wait. I don't think I can keep up with all release dates, and I don't think users change versions so frequently either. Nevertheless, users can request packages of the new versions if these are considered to be important updates.
1, excellent. 2, yeah, i wasn't going to bother with the update from 422-423 (i skipped 420-421), but you having made the sfs meant that i didn't have to unload mine. i read the release notes and they said something about it being a fix for the bleeding heart bug affecting ss something or other--it seemed like a relatively big deal, non-issue wise.

:lol:

i honestly can't remember the last time it crashed or lost data. every update has seemed pointless, but never has it proven a bad idea. actually, the thing seems a bit faster with each edition.

on a related note and getting back to something slavvo mentioned, setting it to autostart takes away its biggest flaw, at least in terms of complaints about its size: by the time the rest of the machine has connected to the internet, loaded geany, xpad, the browser, dropbox--just feels like part of the start up process. i have never felt my machine bogged down because of its presence.

you can make it default to open any kind of file or give it the option to do so with a right click--a few hundred pages of .txt opens as fast as in geany i.e. instantly.

slavvo67

#93 Post by slavvo67 »

Speaking of bogged down....

I pretty much married the Tahr disto and Libre loads quickly and works perfectly. That's without adding to startup. I don't know of many puppies that can handle it so smoothly. Fluxpup shows promise too. Not sure about others.

Sadly, I have to say that my initial testing showed that even Libre doesn't convert flawlessly to Word. More to come on this in the next week... Converted easy from the command line, though. :wink:

Puppus Dogfellow

#94 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:Speaking of bogged down....

I pretty much married the Tahr disto and Libre loads quickly and works perfectly. That's without adding to startup. I don't know of many puppies that can handle it so smoothly. Fluxpup shows promise too. Not sure about others.

Sadly, I have to say that my initial testing showed that even Libre doesn't convert flawlessly to Word. More to come on this in the next week... Converted easy from the command line, though. :wink:
"convert flawlessly to word"--do you mean it doesn't turn its format into doc/docx without error or it messes up when reading a doc/docx?

can word read odt? how does it do? i haven't used it it in five years, haven't owned a copy in two or three. however, i do remember it as having been inept by design--it couldn't read microsoft-generated files from other programs--Pocket Word and MS Works made text files, but not ones you could really just directly use (textmaker was able to open the .pwd files and turn them into something you could use on word--people have been struggling around these practices for decades).

"I don't know of many puppies that can handle it so smoothly."--probably close to all can. tahr works very well but no better in that regard than any of the other modern pups i've used (slacko 5.3, precise 5.4-5.7.1). i'll tell you one modern development that really does speed things up, though: the f2fs filesystem really is faster on flash media for puppy. slacko 5.3 on a card (pre-f2fs ability) was really pokey compared to the tahr i have on an f2fs stick. on a spinning disk there's not much difference.

"Converted easy from the command line"--converted from what to what and read/written to with what?

which brings about some possible workarounds (though if FreeOffice really is that good at it...).
1. upping it to google as a google doc and having them convert it in either direction.
2. converting to pdf and then to the format you're stuck using.
3. rtf and similar can come into play...

or just use textmaker for it.

slavvo67

#95 Post by slavvo67 »

Agreed... agreed and agreeeed....

I am using Tahr with f2fs and yes, quick and nice. I gather other new distros do the same but I'm just picky with my distros so I have no interest in some of them (i.e. Slacko). My fights with Libre admittedly came from older versions of Puppy like 3HD and 5.2.8 and older Slacko. Puppy has advanced nicely and I'm sure these older issues of lag have diminished quite a bit.

Yes, my format issues are really just mine so don't look too deep into it. Just trying to build something to change document formats without booting the actual program and with consistently good conversion results. Converting to .odt or .abw to .doc or .docx flawlessly (without either paragraph issues, spacing issues, font issues, etc) are the primary goals but not the only ones. Libre has a ton of conversion options so this is my play project.

Libre is now hands down my word processor of choice now and the work you and others have done with the pets and sfs's are truly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Slavvo

Puppus Dogfellow

#96 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:Agreed... agreed and agreeeed....

I am using Tahr with f2fs and yes, quick and nice. I gather other new distros do the same but I'm just picky with my distros so I have no interest in some of them (i.e. Slacko). My fights with Libre admittedly came from older versions of Puppy like 3HD and 5.2.8 and older Slacko. Puppy has advanced nicely and I'm sure these older issues of lag have diminished quite a bit.

Yes, my format issues are really just mine so don't look too deep into it. Just trying to build something to change document formats without booting the actual program and with consistently good conversion results. Converting to .odt or .abw to .doc or .docx flawlessly (without either paragraph issues, spacing issues, font issues, etc) are the primary goals but not the only ones. Libre has a ton of conversion options so this is my play project.

Libre is now hands down my word processor of choice now and the work you and others have done with the pets and sfs's are truly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Slavvo
you're welcome, Slavvo. just trying to show a little gratitude myself.

i just upped LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.pet (209mb) and LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.sfs (172mb) to the folder i linked to before; fwiw, it takes about five seconds to load, not twenty as i has previously stated.

i also upped LibreOffice 4.1.5.pet, 4.1.5.sfs, and OpenOffice-4.0-en_us.pet to the same folder.

Sky Aisling

LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#97 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello vicmz and all involved in this project :)
I could use a little assistance here.
I'm a bit confused as to which download of LibreOffice to take.
What download of LibreOffice do I take for this application?

Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Openbox/fbpanel
USA English
The machine has 4GB of RAM
Puppy will run from LiveCD
M$ is resident on HDD
There are no Linux partitions on the HDD.
(I can change this if necessary).

Regarding .sfs or .pet: Does it make a difference that Puppy will be running from a LiveCD and there are no Linux partitions to hold the save file?

This is for a person who wants to try Puppy but uses MSWord daily. Yes, I'm aware of WINE but LibreOffice should be able to produce .docs, right?

I've studied the various downloads and I'm at a lost to understand what I need here. Which download and .sfs or .pet?

Thank you for your hard work on this project.
Thank you greatly in advance for your help.

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#98 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Sky Aisling wrote:Hello vicmz and all involved in this project :)
I could use a little assistance here.
I'm a bit confused as to which download of LibreOffice to take.

Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Openbox/fbpanel
USA English
The machine has 4GB of RAM
Puppy will run from LiveCD
M$ is resident on HDD
There are no Linux partitions on the HDD.
(I can change this if necessary).

Regarding .sfs or .pet: Does it make a difference that Puppy will be running from a LiveCD and there are no Linux partitions to hold the save file?

This is for a person who wants to try Puppy but uses MSWord daily. Yes, I'm aware of WINE but LibreOffice should be able to produce .docs, right?

I've studied the various downloads and I'm at a lost to understand what I need here. Which download and .sfs or .pet?

Thank you for your hard work on this project.
Thank you greatly in advance for your help.
i've never used a live cd, but an sfs is "squashed" and therefore smaller. upgrading is also slightly easier with an sfs file. and yes it can make .doc files, but will encourage you to save it as .odt.

as to space limitations, you can set backups and temp files to be stored outside the save file (tools>options>paths), and use an any off-cd directory (if you choose--if puppy can see it, libre can write to it) for your documents.

again, i have no experience with the live cd method, but if you have the space (it's going to eat about a quarter gig when all is said and done) i suppose it doesn't really matter.

fwiw, 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever...)

HTH

Sky Aisling

LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#99 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you Puppus Dogfellow
Can you direct me to which download to use?

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#100 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Sky Aisling wrote:Thank you Puppus Dogfellow
Can you direct me to which download to use?
you're welcome.

and sure. 4.2.3 is working great for me, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product. (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever). in the end, the 4.2 series loads faster than the 4.1, so i say go for the 4.2.3.

take your pick:

LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.pet (209mb)

LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.sfs (172mb)