alphat64 from alphaOS 14.5 but with UEFI, initrd from fd630

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pentajazz

great hybrid project

#21 Post by pentajazz »

great project,

I ve just tried it and I think it has many opportunities to stay alive and grow,
tried to make some pretty big sfs files from arch repository (like qt4) with success, very useful, convenient and safe

fatdog64 is fast, brilliant and stable but lacks a serious, supported repository
this new alternative is a nice one hybrid, thanks
keep it up!

You could add @ the base distribution:
a stable pacman gui
a file compression manager
xorg, alsa configuration wizards like fatdog puppy setup etc
some desktop shortcut icons (like mounted drives)
user boot gui, user root/management, fd "spot" user like access management
some other basic software "add on" sfs

personal incompatibilities:
acpi problems (no progressive fan speeds, hi cpu temp - only zero and full cpu fan speeds)
need to carefully take care the installation/setup of nvidia or nouveau driver also for multi monitor, pacman forces the download of a different kernel for nvidia proprietary driver

Anniekin

Re: Highly recommended

#22 Post by Anniekin »

delete post fail
Last edited by Anniekin on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

Anniekin

#23 Post by Anniekin »

delete post fail
Last edited by Anniekin on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Anniekin

#24 Post by Anniekin »

bark_bark_bark wrote:The community knows about it, it was just that the developer simargl was just not a very friendly person.
what happened with simlar? i noticed the distro formerly known as archpup had disassociated with puppy. something was up.
But conceptually i think alphaos is one of the most appealing distros out right now. Anyway why initrd from fd630? Do packages work better from arch, i noticed they don't work well in alphaos stuff like alternative window managers and flgrx, also does it mean we can use fatdog packages in alphat?

bark_bark_bark

#25 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Anniekin wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:The community knows about it, it was just that the developer simargl was just not a very friendly person.
what happened with simlar? i noticed the distro formerly known as archpup had disassociated with puppy. something was up.
But conceptually i think alphaos is one of the most appealing distros out right now. Anyway why initrd from fd630? Do packages work better from arch, i noticed they don't work well in alphaos stuff like alternative window managers and flgrx, also does it mean we can use fatdog packages in alphat?
I always thought the distro was crap. It just didn't work and had bad hardware support. The Arch base didn't help at all either. I am purely judging the distro on usability (The fact that the developer was a very mean troll didn't cloud my judgement). I would have to say that a fresh Arch install was a lot more stable and usable than than a fresh install of this distro.

Anniekin

#26 Post by Anniekin »

lol, i missed the drama, but have to remember it's just the personal system of one person, have to follow his tracks a bit to figure it out. running in ram from an already optimized system is attractive, as well as the sfs like installation system of makesb, and arch is much more work to install. i just found on his forum how he stripped down the mesa package (from 40mb to 2mb!), reinstalled, and finally got the glx display to work.

rufwoof

#27 Post by rufwoof »

found on his forum how he stripped down the mesa package (from 40mb to 2mb!), reinstalled, and finally got the glx display to work
A GDMap of my leaned down Thin Slacko 5.3.3t frugal / has Nvidia driver as the largest (excepting /root bottom right(ish) area where .mozilla has a larger block).

I only load mesa as a SFS if desired (or the pucker NVIDIA drivers). 75MB puppy sfs (remastered using very large compression dictionary), 80MB ISO.
Attachments
gdm.png
(162.4 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

rufwoof

#28 Post by rufwoof »

Burnt to CD, liveCD booted, failed first time (graphical text locked). Rebooted with nvidia disabled option selected from menu (like that and radion exclusion options being presented at the boot menu), loaded to desktop ok, correctly installing network, sound etc.

pacman'd firefox and ran ok.
Shutdown and created savefile as part of the shutdown.
Shutdown and reboots don't - PC stays switched on, black screen.
Next start up correctly picked up savefile, but no firefox (suspect you might have to boot first time, shutdown and create savefile, reboot and then start installing apps ?)

Nice and clean, but somewhat slow/clunky compared to the ThinSlacko I use daily.

AMD64 with Nvidia.
Attachments
alphaos-20141126134100.jpg
(58.14 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

Anniekin

#29 Post by Anniekin »

Hi rufwoof,

Have you tried the regular alphaos or just this alphat

rufwoof

#30 Post by rufwoof »

Anniekin wrote:Have you tried the regular alphaos or just this alphat
Just this alphat.

I moved from XP back last February or so as it was approaching no-longer-supported, and after initially burning around 30 live boot CD's (wasn't familiar with how to use frugal installs) I settled on 01micko's Thin Slacko. Primarily because most of the others wouldn't boot with my hardware nor connect using the wifi adapter I was using at the time - but Slacko did (Knoppix was the only other that did IIRC, but I'd downloaded/burnt the wrong version (one that talked/for visually impaired)).

As part of the remastering/learning experience I cut out a lot of the stuff I didn't want or found buggy (gnumeric, abiword etc) and thinned Thin Slacko 5.3.3t down more. I found that adjusting the remastering script to use a large dictionary also helped reduce the size, and after a few months I had a stable lean core remastered puppy that I didn't need to use a save file with as data and other apps were all being loaded/saved from outside puppy. Which is where I've remained since. i.e. boot a minimal desktop, load in sfs's as required (symlinking the core puppy app's configuration directory(s) to outside puppy; Save all data outside of puppy space). I load most SFS's into ram, so overall its very quick (makes other pupplets seem somewhat slow).

Anniekin

#31 Post by Anniekin »

rufwoof wrote:after initially burning around 30 live boot CD's
I recommend using unetbootin for windows to test isos before installing them

Anniekin

#32 Post by Anniekin »

rufwoof wrote:
found on his forum how he stripped down the mesa package (from 40mb to 2mb!), reinstalled, and finally got the glx display to work
A GDMap of my leaned down Thin Slacko 5.3.3t frugal / has Nvidia driver as the largest (excepting /root bottom right(ish) area where .mozilla has a larger block).

I only load mesa as a SFS if desired (or the pucker NVIDIA drivers). 75MB puppy sfs (remastered using very large compression dictionary), 80MB ISO.
I wish there was a fglrx sfs for my macpup / quirky but there is only a pet available. wasn't there a pet2sfs script or something?

Pelo

alphat64_14.5.sfs not found

#33 Post by Pelo »

alphat64_14.5.sfs not found...
just try for archlinux packages. I will not spend hours and days. There is a topic in the forum. Check for a solution, translation in progress.
Well others guys had problems to boot, i try with my virtual box.That is an OS for times when CDs were the only support. Nowadays USB are much easier and faster. I don't want to burn CDs anymore. perhaps for music to play in my car i will do an exception.
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 06:06, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Virtualbox, sfs found, boot ok, desktop.

#34 Post by Pelo »

Virtualbox, sfs found, boot ok, desktop.
Save DVD rw at shutdown. Of course failed because virtual machine..
I am not sure that 64 bits is better than 32 bits. I am searching why is should be better.. Alphat64 should do much more to make me change my opinion.
Once upon a time, when you bought a color TV, only some color movies were released, you had to watch B&W on your expensive machine.. 64 bits applications are not a lot, and do they need fast processors ? That is the question.. Those included in Alphat64 will not explode my computer !
I am the 101th downloader, It was just a try, a glance, because untill you try, you don't know if an OS is worth the pain or not. Sure if i had to burn CDs or DVDs, i should test less Puppies. But with grub4Dos and a pendrive it's so easy.. Excepted with alphat64 which refuses to boot.
Searching Why ..which could be a hard task for a french user, not Linux expert until now.. :?
Answer : alphat64 has not sdb1 in te list where to search, only Hard drive partitions and SR0 (Compact Disk)
Attachments
script.jpg
Shutdown and saving to CD script
(40.36 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 10:39, edited 6 times in total.

Pelo

Multimedia menu

#35 Post by Pelo »

Obprecise playing with Gnome-mplayer screencast done with Debut (capture) on virtual Machine Windows Seven
:( :( test stopped. No USB no alphat64, decision of passenger Pelo
Attachments
savefile.jpg
i say 'no !' nothing happens.. say 'Yes', to please the machine...
(46.77 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
multisession.jpg
to burn, burnt , burnt.. Cds or DVDs
(58.1 KiB) Downloaded 99 times