Preferd apps for a "fat" Puppy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
666philb

#21 Post by 666philb »

sunburnt wrote:.

My hope was to build apps. from binary files in Precise, or could be Slacko.
My problem is that I can`t find dependency lists for any apps.

this site shows dependencies http://pkgs.org/
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Q5sys

#22 Post by Q5sys »

sunburnt wrote:My hope was to build apps. from binary files in Precise, or could be Slacko.
My problem is that I can`t find dependency lists for any apps.
I would think that the problem is the same for compiling apps. from source files.

# Q: Is there a trick to this.? Or is this a great guarded secret of Linux.?
Well you can either search online or you can find out for yourself on your machine with a little bit of work.

If you have a package for some program... extract its files, then find the binary that is the actual binary to load the program... open a command line window in that directory and type: ldd ./binaryfilename
FYI, LDD stands for: List Dynamic Dependencies

example

sunburnt

#23 Post by sunburnt »

Q5sys; I know about ldd, but it doesn`t show exec. deps., or fonts, or plugins, etc. that are needed.
Like Audacious has a bunch of exec. files that convert and other things that are part of Audacious.
Ubuntu and Debian have web pages, but you have to go page to page to get it all. Need a parser.!

666philb; I had great hopes for this site, but I can`t find any dep. lists, just descriptions. Ideas.???

simargl8; Arch Linux site is like Ubuntu/Debian, page to page to get "dep. packages" and then files.
But it may very well be easier to parse the Arch Linux site`s pages than Ubuntu/Debian pages.

# Need simple dep. files like this that list all deps. /path/file and "base urls".
Then a simple script could handle building most apps.

Code: Select all

# File: ubuntu_mplayer_1.0.5-1.deps

/usr/bin/mplayer /pool/universe/g/gnome-mplayer/gnome-mplayer_1.0.5-1_i386.deb
	/path/file (pkg-1 url)
		/path/file (pkg-1-1 url)
		/path/file (pkg-1-2 url)
			/path/file (pkg-1-2-1 url)
	/path/file (pkg-2 url)
	. . . . . . . . .
### I`m sorry about the "side conversation" here... :roll:
Last edited by sunburnt on Thu 19 Sep 2013, 04:23, edited 4 times in total.

sunburnt

#24 Post by sunburnt »

koulaxizis; ### What have you come up with for your apps. list?

Certain popular groups of apps. are best, probably lots of media and web apps.?

amigo

#25 Post by amigo »

"can`t find dependency lists" -If these come from any other distro+toolchain+repo than what you are using they have absolutely no relevance. Binary dependencies can only be determined at the time the package is built -and the packages which contain these dependencies have their own dependency 'domain'.

In other words, a list of depends for archlinux or debian, etc have no relevancy with slacko or any other distro, version or mishmash. The only possible use of such lists is as a reference as to what the dependencies of any given package *could or might be*.

When you see a list of dependencies, it means that the distro/developer has implemented a comprehensive and consistent form of dependency *tracking*. Tracking dependencies does not necessarily mean 'resolving' them. It means that there is a mechanism for determining which packages need what -and can only be achieved by having comprehensive lists of files contained in each package. Including information about non-binary depends (like that 'man' needs 'groff' to work) can only be supplied by human input which can be add to or replace any generated info about binary/library depends.

It's worth noting that even if you find some library which matches the name and version of the one your program needs, it may not really be the right one at all -the content of libraries can vary according to specific configuration options used at *compile-time*.

sunburnt

#26 Post by sunburnt »

In the thought of "Precise compatible", all the files should be the correct ones.
Ubuntu web pages have only two packages for each release ( i386, amd64 ).
So for each app., a dep. list of urls can be made pointing to the packages.
It`s certainly possible there`s exceptions to this rule, but it seems to hold true.

And in no way do I assume that any of the Precise Puppy`s are "compatible".
However if a PrecisePup were made from all Ubuntu files ( maybe they are...)

Even if compiling, file lists are still needed. Find the files from compile errors?
All apps. need a list of files. For distros. each app. has a list of dep. packages.

I`ve come up with about a half a dozen different ways to do this. But I`ll get it...
# Thanks everyone for your help.

koulaxizis

#27 Post by koulaxizis »

I'm very sorry for not answering all this time!! Somehow, my account went inactive and i couldn't login! I'll read all of your answers carefully and i'll come back with a response. Thank you very much for participating and sorry for being absent! :oops: :)
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

toomanyquestions

Suggestions

#28 Post by toomanyquestions »

My thoughts -

Libre Office
VLC & codecs
GIMP
Mirage/Viewnoir
Firefox
Mail client (T-bird, Claws, or Geary)
Light, easy-to-use audio player that handles streams & collections w/out trouble (perhaps Deadbeef?)
Many drivers

Wish List -
Advanced display tools (puppy + vga cable + y cable = streaming web content on your tv!)
4 games - digger, tetris, chess, mahjong ;)

Atle

#29 Post by Atle »

Scribus 1.4.3 or even better... the 1.5 version for Ubuntu

Or Krita 2.8?

ThoriumBlvd

#30 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

I'd like to vote for the following

GIMP- its already there, but "me" can still use mtpaint with a good font-list. Me is in the minority on this one, I'll leave this alone.

FREEOFFICE- Replace that bulky Java and LibreOffice. Otherwise, there are very few uses for java... OK Pogo dot com but java is being orphaned. OTOH, LO4 does play nice with other formats. FreeOffice can read alot but not make. Personally, I'm an OO2/LO4 user, so everything I have are those formats, and make a PDF is still doable in FreeOffice. Perhaps this needs to be a fork, like Slacko-55L for this one and XL for the LO/Java version.8)

VLC (for all internet formats). yeah, I'm getting tired of mplayer. Time to level the field.

Tree should be mandatory under sentance of being fed cat-food :P

Edit *** I think one of the reasons for Slacko 55 XL is that it is large, but still fits on 1 CD. Along that line, I made my recommendations for 650Mb maximum. ***
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

bark_bark_bark

#31 Post by bark_bark_bark »

GIMP has too big of an interface. We need something better.

LibreOffice is great, We can slim it down by removing kde stuff from it.

Seamonkey for sure

A fast DE that support multi monitors with an extended desktop (rather than just cloning it) would be nice. MATE fills this requirement.

GNOME-MPlayer/Gecko-mediaplayer for sure. VLC is great, but streaming in a web browser with it is a nightmare.

qbittorrent is my preferred bt client, but it uses qt (and a fat puppy shouldn't use qt anywhere). Transmission is an okay alternative.

gcmartin

#32 Post by gcmartin »

Puppy Linux continues to mature. I'm not sure that I would agree with the JAVA comment. For nondevelopers and developers, alike, users experienced or new, JAVA is a simple subsystem that brings much needed crossplatform uses.

As our future unfolds, the computer industry, whether Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Google, Sun, IBM, smartPhone, smartTablet, smart Device, Unix, Linux, whatever; JAVA allows any developer to develop a subsystem for our use on any one platform, and for users to be able to use it on any other platform.

JAVA has its place in Puppy Linux, as so many new users are coming to Puppyland with all types of new configurations and needs where PUPs can be deployed to take advantage and provide useful services.

Let's not be missing the usefulness that it has and continues to provide us.

ThoriumBlvd

#33 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

Do you mean JavaScript? Thats fairly well standard. LO4 uses the full JRE/JDK environment. Thats rather bulky, and browsers are moving away from it. "Popular" websites like POGO use Java Language, and as of now most modern FF browsers make it next to impossible to play games there. I know that in Slack55-XL the Java/LO4 pairing consume A LOT of space... IIRC about 630Mb/2.2Gb fully inflated.
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

gcmartin

3 Full Puppy distros from 2013 that fit the FAT model

#34 Post by gcmartin »

There were 2 distros, not mentioned here, which have addressed all of what this thread brings to light by all commenters, above. The following 2 provide these out of the box (OOTB) with NO NEED TO INSTALL anything from the PPM. They are:
  • PhatSlacko (32bit PCs)
  • LightHouse Mariner version (64bit PCs)
These 2 are in addition to the work shared in this thread's opening post of Puppy Slacko 5.5 XL

LightHouse, in particular, provides FM facilities which bring visual "Tree" usage as a part of dealing with filesystem folders.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 16 Apr 2014, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#35 Post by gcmartin »

ThoriumBlvd wrote:Do you mean JavaScript? ...
The issue of space only really relates to download sizes. But, what JAVA contributes is the ability for crossplatorm application use which allows Puppy to be the central or the bridge to apps that run everywhere. JAVA is more of an OS subsystem with the services it provides rather than a browser implementation.

BTW, which websites are you referring? There is a movement in HTML use. The handhelp/smartDevices/smartCars/etc market, which is what many websites address in their mobile implementations all know that Apple, Microsoft, and Android are JAVA platforms. You may have seen some references that speak otherwise. I may have missed that industry direction.

In any event, we are offering ideas for developers to consider as they move us forward into the Puppy Linux future.

bark_bark_bark

#36 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Java and Javascript are bad. Java attracts malware and JavaScript can track you and even deliver malicious code.

gcmartin

#37 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Bark_bark_bark

If JAVA is not a port based subsystem, how could it attract?
bark_bark_bark wrote:... Java attracts malware ...
Just curious on this idea you share.

James C

#38 Post by James C »

Java-based malware driving DDoS botnet infects Windows, Mac, Linux devices

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01 ... x-devices/
Researchers have uncovered a piece of botnet malware that is capable of infecting computers running Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux that have Oracle's Java software framework installed.
http://siliconangle.com/blog/2014/01/29 ... x-systems/

Java 'Icefog' Malware Variant Infects US Businesses

http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-and- ... id/1113451
Beware Java-based malware that's been used to exploit at least three US-based organizations.

That warning of a new advanced persistent threat (APT) attack campaign came via Kaspersky Lab, which said that it's traced a malicious Java archive (a.k.a. JAR) file to eight infected systems inside three US-based organizations, which it declined to name. "Based on the IP address, one of the victims was identified as a very large American independent oil and gas corporation, with operations in many other countries," Kaspersky Lab researchers Costin Raiu, Vitaly Kamluk, and Igor Soumenkov said in a joint blog post Tuesday. "As of today, all victims have been notified about the infections. Two of the victims have removed it already."

Java-based malware turns Mac, Linux machines into zombies

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/34 ... to-zombies
The choice of Java in this case does make the malware piece more modern. Java is multiplatform and therefore will allow the malware to run on more platforms. It may also use the fact that hackers are very focused on Java now for vulnerability research, so there is a likelihood that the malware can evolve with new ways to exploit and onboard a system,

gcmartin

#39 Post by gcmartin »

My posting, here is removed. Discussion retracted as it invites debates.

The ideas presented suggest that since more systems run JAVA,this could be a vehicle used as an attack surface across all platforms which use JAVA. So, in order for one to be attacked, one MUST download and run some malicious JAVA app.

JAVA is an environment; not a program. I wonder, that since JAVA is a present, does that mean that it is dangerous. If you are NOT running the malicious JAVA app which you download, it cannot attack. Is this is a good view?

Every Android/Apple phone on the planet has JAVA. Without the malicious code, how could they be attacked. You/I must download, I would guess. If that is the case, we, consumers, are the harvesters of the malicious code. This is the only way, it appears, it could invade to be used. This is pointed out by the posting on Tom's hardware site you show.

AND, its important to stay current with the security updates.

James C

#40 Post by James C »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cybertrut ... g/2447305/
Java has emerged as arguably the No. 1 Web threat – and you'd be wise to disable it.
No surprise, then, that cybercriminals have been intensively probing Java for security flaws. One way they take advantage is to use Java to force malicious software onto your computing device in what's called a "drive-by download," says Corey Nachreiner, strategy director at WatchGuard.

Drive-by downloads unfold silently and invisibly. You click on a Web link or visit a website booby-trapped to steer you to an infection. The bad guys then steal your account log-ons, contacts and personal information. But they don't stop there. "Once they control your computer, they can access pathways to information and other devices on any network you may be part of, " Nachreiner says.

Java-based attacks have been implicated in data breaches at big media companies such as The New York Times and Wall Street Journal, tech giants such as Google, Twitter and Yahoo, and many big banks.
The Department of Homeland Security earlier this year advised Americans to disable Java, endorsing a consensus in the security community that Java's risks now overshadow its benefits for most consumers and many businesses.