PackIt-1.22 - a flexible Archiving/Compressing GUI

Miscellaneous tools
SFR

#41 Post by SFR »

Senderok wrote:
SFR wrote:
sfs wrote:RU translation
Could you please attach the translated .po/.mo file(s) here?
Hi, got a RU translated .po file, just check the attachment.

Thanks.
Ok, thanks - added to the main .pet.
So, I understand the credits for this translation goes to you ("Sender" in .po file and on the other forum), is that correct?
me in the first post wrote:PackIt-1.8 contains the following translations:

- Polish (me)
- Spanish (nilsonmorales & vicmz)
- French (charlie6)
- Russian (Senderok)
Thank you &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Senderok

#42 Post by Senderok »

SFR wrote:So, I understand the credits for this translation goes to you ("Sender" in .po file and on the other forum), is that correct?
Yes, that's correct :)

sfs

#43 Post by sfs »

Senderok wrote:Yes, that's correct :)
Yes!
[url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppyrusa/]PuppyRus-Arch[/url]

Moat

#44 Post by Moat »

Thanks for this very handy, easy-peasy to use app, SFR!! Even a dufus such as moi can now effortlessly create my own tarballs. What for? Umm... I dunno, quite yet... :)

Seems to work beautifully in Precise 5.7.1 retro, though.

Bob

neerajkolte

#45 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi SFR,
Thanks for this nice tool.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

SFR

#46 Post by SFR »

Hey Moat & Neerajkolte, thanks for appreciation! :)

Version 1.9:

- mksquashfs: better compression in xz mode (-Xbcj x86 -b 512K)
- mkisofs: Joliet disabled when creating Puppy ISO (if presence of "*.sfs", "initrd*" and "vmlinuz" files has been detected)
- fixed regression in creating right-click entries in FatDog
Creating the following link before installing PackIt in FD:

Code: Select all

ln -s /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith
is still mandatory though!

First post updated!

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

SFR

#47 Post by SFR »

Version 1.10:

- support for lzip (req. lzip)
- withdrawn: '-Xbcj x86' option for mksquashfs in 'xz' mode
- added SHA1
- preview of output archive's size in non-verbose mode
- minor internal changes

First post updated!

Greetings!

SFR

#48 Post by SFR »

Small update...

Version 1.11

- pressing 'Enter' activates the 'PackIt!' button
- better compatibility with FatDog64-700 (ROX right-click integration in pinstall.sh)
- some minor fixes

First post updated!

Greetings!

SFR

#49 Post by SFR »

Version 1.12

- bugfix: creating MD5/SHA1 was failing if output dir wasn't the same as input files' dir
- in Fatdog right-click entries are installed to /etc now
- some internal rearrangements

Note for Fatdog users:
If you have a previous version installed, uninstall it and issue the following command:

Code: Select all

find /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo -type l -name "PackIt" -delete
This will delete old entries from right-click menu, otherwise you'd get duplicates after installing the new version.

First post updated!

Greetings!

L18L

PackIt-1.12 - a flexible Archiving/Compressing GUI

#50 Post by L18L »

German translation attached

Created using Puppy/Quirky/Fatdog standard tool momanager
which is storing translation files under standard TEXTDOMAINDIR=/usr/share/locale.

Thus to make it being used I had to symlink it.

Packed in Fatdog using packit.
Note, GenericName is used in Fatdogs menu, see image
Menu > Wekzeuge > Packit (GenericName[de])
l
Attachments
packit_de.png
packed in Fatdog64
(42.55 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
packit_de_translation.tar.gz
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 520 times

SFR

#51 Post by SFR »

Thank you L18L, included in version 1.13.

Version 1.13:
- slightly re-arranged structure of internal directories
- increased max. password length from 64 to 256
- added German translation (thanks to L18L)

First post updated!

Greetings!

musher0

#52 Post by musher0 »

Hi SFR.

Again, many thanks for this, no doubt the best packer around.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

SFR

#53 Post by SFR »

You're very welcome, Musher0. :)

Greetings!

step

#54 Post by step »

Hi SFR, thanks for packit and uextract! Two things.

packit-1.13.pet includes an invisible folder /usr/local/apps/PackIt/locale/.fr-TjP2jO/

As I'm getting weary of right-clicking an archive in ROX-Filer to Send-To packit or uextract, I want to be able to just click a file and have the default archiver open the file (this is on Fatdog64, you guessed). So I set out to change the default MIME-type links in /etc/xdg/rox.sourgeforce.com but then I realized that my wish can't be done, because neither packit nor uextract is an archiver. Together they are the two halves that make up an archiver. Is it possible to come up with a glue GUI for both so that all archive MIME types can be associated with the glue GUI? For comparison, Jamesbond has pupzip replaced with his own compatible script, which defaults to opening xarchiver.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

SFR

#55 Post by SFR »

Hey Step
step wrote:packit-1.13.pet includes an invisible folder /usr/local/apps/PackIt/locale/.fr-TjP2jO/
Thanks, fixed and re-uploaded. It was a leftover from extracting de translation via File-Roller.
step wrote:As I'm getting weary of right-clicking an archive in ROX-Filer to Send-To packit or uextract,
How did you intall both apps? Did you use "Convert to New Package Format"?
Pinstall scripts should have taken care of associating ROX right-click actions with appropriate MIME-Types, so PackIt/UExtract should be available directly after right-clicking a file, no need to use "Send-To".
step wrote:I want to be able to just click a file and have the default archiver open the file (this is on Fatdog64, you guessed). So I set out to change the default MIME-type links in /etc/xdg/rox.sourgeforce.com but then I realized that my wish can't be done, because neither packit nor uextract is an archiver. Together they are the two halves that make up an archiver. Is it possible to come up with a glue GUI for both so that all archive MIME types can be associated with the glue GUI? For comparison, Jamesbond has pupzip replaced with his own compatible script, which defaults to opening xarchiver.
Hmm, I don't understand why would you want to associate only archive MIME-Types with a glue GUI that invokes also PackIt?
I think the point is to associate all NON-archive (or just all) MIME-Types with PackIt and this is how it's done in its pinstall.sh (all known types -> PackIt).
Anyway, I'm not quite sure are you still reffering to right-click action or just left clicking on a file?

Btw, you may also want to check Radky's pArchive.

Greetings!

step

#56 Post by step »

SFR wrote:How did you intall both apps? Did you use "Convert to New Package Format"?
Pinstall scripts should have taken care of associating ROX right-click actions with appropriate MIME-Types, so PackIt/UExtract should be available directly after right-clicking a file, no need to use "Send-To".
I unpacked .pet files and copied all files to their respective locations. I read pinstall.sh and decided that all I needed was Send-To links --without any MIME-type involved-- to packit and to uextract for any file type, so I created the links manually. That's it. It's served me well, so far.
step wrote:I want to be able to just click a file and have the default archiver open the file (this is on Fatdog64, you guessed). So I set out to change the default MIME-type links in /etc/xdg/rox.sourgeforce.com but then I realized that my wish can't be done, because neither packit nor uextract is an archiver. Together they are the two halves that make up an archiver. Is it possible to come up with a glue GUI for both so that all archive MIME types can be associated with the glue GUI? For comparison, Jamesbond has pupzip replaced with his own compatible script, which defaults to opening xarchiver.
Hmm, I don't understand why would you want to associate only archive MIME-Types with a glue GUI that invokes also PackIt?
Think of how it works on Fatdog64 by default; clicking an archive file starts xarchive, from which you can uncompress OR add more files to the archive. Now I would like to replace the role of xarchive with the role of a combined packit-uextract, hence my question about a glue GUI.
I think the point is to associate all NON-archive (or just all) MIME-Types with PackIt and this is how it's done in its pinstall.sh (all known types -> PackIt).
Anyway, I'm not quite sure are you still reffering to right-click action or just left clicking on a file?
I wasn't clear enough, you're right, I used "associate" meaning two different things. I meant right-click for the Send-To links, and left-click for the combined GUI. In other words, make the combined GUI the default MIME-type handler and ROX action for archive files.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

SFR

#57 Post by SFR »

Thanks for clarification.
step wrote:Think of how it works on Fatdog64 by default; clicking an archive file starts xarchive, from which you can uncompress OR add more files to the archive. Now I would like to replace the role of xarchive with the role of a combined packit-uextract, hence my question about a glue GUI.
I see what you mean. But I'm afraid it won't be working in case of PackIt-UExtract combo, because PackIt is unable to ADD anything to existing archives - it can only create new ones.
Similarily, UExtract can extract an archive only as a whole.

Personally, I use File-Roller (the last GTK+2 version - 2.32.2; available as contrib pkg at ibiblio) to add/remove individual items to/from archives, because Xarchive(r) can't handle fully-encrypted (i.e. with headers) 7z/rar archives.
It has some limitations - doesn't support the latest (>= 5.0) unrar, crashes from time to time, but I haven't found anything remotely close to FR in terms of usability...

Greetings!

step

#58 Post by step »

Thanks for the tip, SFR. I will be looking into file-roller. I 'm not satisfied with xarchiver's usability either.

russoodle

#59 Post by russoodle »

Thank you for this, SFR...using in Slacko 5.7 32-bit :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

SFR

#60 Post by SFR »

I'm glad you like it, Russoodle. :)

Version 1.14:

- added '-mqs' switch to 7z (only for versions >= 15) in order to re-enable old sorting method, which provides better compression for solid archives
- mksquashfs: can detect and use 'lz4' (if mksquashfs supports it)
- also added 'lz4' to PASS_2 tools
- if "Password" field is empty, "Encrypt filenames" checkbox is kept insensitive (works only for Gtkdialog >= 0.8.3)
- removed some superfluous extensions like .gzip, .gtar, etc.
- after clicking X (during packing) PackIt won't be continuing in the background, but will just abort

First post updated!

Greetings!