Linux Support for Konica Minolta Bizhub223

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
can8v

Linux Support for Konica Minolta Bizhub223

#1 Post by can8v »

Some of you are aware that I started a new career in real estate a few months ago (right after I contributed my automatic MTP mounting and unmounting solution). Anyway that has been going well and I have been so busy that I have scarcely had time to pop in on this forum and see how things are going.

I wanted to drop a quick note to let you all know that for the first time I have experienced professional, commercial, on site Linux support and I didn't have to do anything, other than ask, to get it.

My new office has a Konica Minolta Bizhub 223 all-in-one Printer/Scanner/Fax machine. When I arrived, I took one look at the Desktop computer on my desk and decided I would rather continue using my aging laptop with Xprecise. The problem was I would need to scan and print using the Bizhub 223 about 30 times a day. Further I needed to spend my time working on getting listings, not figuring out how to get this machine to work with my computer.

I have been working with Puppy Linux off and on since about the time this forum was first launched, so imagine my surprise when I called the company we lease the Bizhub from and they send a guy out who spends a hour tinkering around with my Xprecise powered lappy then gives it back with some successful test prints and scans. I couldn't have been more thrilled. For the first time I will be using Puppy commercially.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Could you look in Puppy and figure out what print/scan drivers he used? This would be useful information for other Bizhub owners.

Your Bizhub printer is probably Postscript, so he may have used a generic CUPS Postscript driver. But I am surprised that he found a scanner driver.

can8v

#3 Post by can8v »

@rcrsn51.
The Bizhub does not use a scanner driver. You load your document push the scan button, select a computer (from the touch screen on the Bizhub) on the network that you want to send the document to, then the Bizhub scans the document to a PDF and sends it to the computer you specified via SMB. pretty slick. Any computer that can network via the SMB protocol will work.

The printer driver is technically a CUPS 1.2 PPD file.
The file is hosted here:
http://onyxftp.mykonicaminolta.com/Down ... uctid=1317

I suspect few puppy users will use the Konica Minolta Bizhub commercial all in one machines, but maybe this information will help somebody.