DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#41 Post by saintless »

giannis4 wrote:I ve downloaded the DebianDog-Porteus-openbox_xfce-beta.iso,burned it to usb but when I am trying to boot from it I have an error about invalid kernel.Is this means that its not for my hardware?
Hi, giannis4.
It is hard to tell without some more information.
First make sure the md5sum check is the same to be sure the download is good.
Is it the same "invalid kernel" message with any of the 3 boot options (initrd.img, initrd1.img, initrd1.xz)?
Please, post your boot code here and give some information what is your hardware.
In the meantime try this kernel:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... orteus.zip
Download the archive and extract it in /live folder on your usb. Use this boot code (note you need to use initrd3.xz and vmlinuz3):

Code: Select all

title PorteusDog (installed on sda1) 
root (hd0,0) 
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz3 noauto from=/ 
initrd (hd0,0)/live/initrd3.xz
Toni

giannis4

#42 Post by giannis4 »

Sorry I cant follow your directions.Too much for me.I ve tried to extract the zip file where you have told me to but I got an error.I havent the same experience with other puppy versions,for example slacko is working without any manual configuration.I just burned the iso and thats it,done.I am not a programmer,I am a regular user and this is very confusing for me and a waste of time.Anyway thanks for your time.

mcewanw

#43 Post by mcewanw »

giannis4 wrote:burned it to usb
Actually, I'm a bit lost as to what 'burned to usb' means. I would ask if giannis4 meant "burned to CD" but if slacko is running and happy with that then that's good.
github mcewanw

saintless

#44 Post by saintless »

Small bug fixed in initrd1.xz for porteus-boot only.
Both iso versions replaced with new ones.
No need to download the iso again if you already did that.
Just replace initrd1.xz with this one:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... initrd1.xz
dancytron wrote:When I get logged in, sda3 (the partition with my /live directory) is already mounted. When I open it, it takes me to /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit instead of sda3.
Fred made fix for this. It is included in the new iso.
Replace /usr/local/bin/mountlink with the one from this archive:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... ntlink.zip

Toni

giannis4

#45 Post by giannis4 »

mcewanw wrote:
giannis4 wrote:burned it to usb
Actually, I'm a bit lost as to what 'burned to usb' means. I would ask if giannis4 meant "burned to CD" but if slacko is running and happy with that then that's good.
You know what I mean.Dont be arrogant,because I can be too.Sorry for my English...not my native language you see.I bet you cant speak mine also.
Oh,I see whats your problem is.I should have said "I ve created a bootable USB".Is that correct?

mcewanw

#46 Post by mcewanw »

giannis4 wrote: You know what I mean.Dont be arrogant,because I can be too.Sorry for my English...not my native language you see.I bet you cant speak mine also.
Oh,I see whats your problem is.I should have said "I ve created a bootable USB".Is that correct?
Sorry, I really wasn't sure what you meant. There was no arrogance felt. I was curious if you had actually burned to CD and if that booted okay but didn't want to use more of your time with further testing, which may well not succeed on some machines. As for booting from USB, I've had trouble with that too on one of my computers, particularly older ones, as documented in one of my posts above along with what succeeded for me. But the fix for my machine was relatively technical so, from your comments, I felt my own results were unlikely to be helpful. They are documented by Toni in the fifth post of this thread.
github mcewanw

saintless

#47 Post by saintless »

Hi, giannis4.

Noone is arrogant with you. Maybe you take it this way because English is not your native language.
You did not give any clear information till now about your problem and I'm afraid I can't help you in this situation.
You wrote about burning DebianDog on USB but Slacko on CD. This makes the confusion.
Reading only the beginning of the first post will show you DebianDog is not Puppy and you can't install it on USB from Puppy without manual changing menu.lst boot code:
DebianDog is very small Debian Wheezy Live CD shaped to look like Puppy ...

To test DebianDog for first time you need to burn it on CD or to extract /live folder on top of a partition or USB and edit manual your boot grub menu.lst For the moment DebianDog has installer for USB grub4dos frugal install.
Reading the second post will show you boot code examples and available boot methods.
If you decide to try DebianDog and give us the information I already asked we will try to help you. Otherwise like you I also do not want to waste my time.

Best regards, Toni

Wognath

test with VIA Nano processor

#48 Post by Wognath »

Can you just confirm you used vmlinuz6 and initrd6.img
Confirmed: I copied and pasted your text into menu.lst, changed only partition number. Thanks again, Toni

saintless

#49 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Wognath!
I will put on hold AMD64 module tests for now.
Toni

saintless

#50 Post by saintless »

alphadog wrote:Any plans (for us traditionalists) to give this a full install option ?
For all interested from DebianDog Full Install here is the first testing version debdog-full-install from Fred:
Only for testing - be careful not to format wrong HDD partition!!!
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... nstall.zip
Boot DebianDog and extract the archive. Single click on the executable will run GUI. Choose DebianDog iso as source and partition to install it. It will be formatted to ext4 if you confirm. There is confirmation window.
After formatting and extracting main sfs module on the partition you have a choice to install grub4dos to mbr or not. Choosing yes will auto-generate menu.lst and entry by UUID.
If you have existing menu.lst the new DebianDog entry will be added to it.

Please, if you have any comments and suggestions about debdog-full-installer point them to the development thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90660

Toni

sunburnt

#51 Post by sunburnt »

Toni; It was too late to try Olga`s laptop. But I made space on my Athlon64 H.D.
It booted to the desktop normally as far as I can tell, but the mouse did not work.
The mouse is a std. PS2 mouse, Puppy is the main O.S. for the Athlon64 PC.
Linux seems to have little or no keyboard control over the desktop, so I was stuck.

Now that I made space on the Athlon`s H.D., I can do more tests on the 64 bit setup.
I will try Olga`s laptop tonight, she`ll be home earlier. I`ll let you know how it goes.

A thought... Is the "VIA Nano U2250 processor" an AMD64 compatible cpu.?

# It would be good if [Ctrl][Alt][Del] dropped the O.S. to the console for the root user.
I had to fsck 5 partitions after having to press the reset button. All needed testing.

saintless

#52 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Terry!
Do not make more test with AMD64 module. It is removed from the site. I will find hardware to test it my self in the next few weeks.

Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace drops to console for user and root. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing.

Toni

fredx181

#53 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

This is for the openbox_xfce version only:

Everytime I try to arrange the desktop icons to my liking they are re-arranged to the same position after logout.
This probably has to do with the fact that xfce4 is not fully installed, just a few components on top of window-manager openbox.
I got annoyed by it and made a little workaround that makes it possible to remember the position of the icons:

Attached: desk-icons.zip

Extract the zip and place the script 'desk-icons' somewhere in PATH (e.g. in /opt/bin)

Then open ~/.xsession with geany or leafpad and add a line "desk-icons &" (without the quotes)
So it looks then like this:

#!/bin/sh
desk-icons &
setxkbmap us -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
sleep 2
/opt/bin/start-up &
exec openbox-session
Note: Because xfdesktop is rather slow in updating the config file for the icon positions, after you arranged the icons you need to wait at least 5 seconds before loging out, otherwise it won't succeed.
So it's not perfect, but better than nothing I guess.

EDIT: ThIs fix is now included in the latest iso (from 21.04.2014 on)

Fred
Attachments
desk-icons.zip
Makes icon positions on desktop "remembered"
(288 Bytes) Downloaded 279 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 20:17, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#54 Post by saintless »

Simple JWM Theme Change GUI:

http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 1_i386.deb
Just install it with right click Install/upgrade or from command line (example in /root):

dpkg -i /root/change-jwm-theme_1.0.0-1_i386.deb
Start it from Settings -> Change JWM Theme to start the GUI and follow the screen instructions. 12 new themes from Puppy added in /opt/docs/jwm-themes

Happy Easter!

Edit: sfs module replaced with deb package.

Toni

tony

#55 Post by tony »

HI Toni,

now up and running on Debian Dog Beta. Started off with live booted with grub4dos.

No wireless driver wl so connected by wire and downloaded iceweasel and ipkungfu firewall.

Used apt-get to compile wl so wireless now working with frisbee.

To do :- Get English keyboard working, too much choice here.

Customise for rox and jwm.

Wish list :- a few more wireless drivers and a reliable firewall built in.

Thanks for all the hard work to get to Beta stage. Regards Tony.

labbe5

DebianDog

#56 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

I tried DebianDog on my desktop machine, and i was surprised about one simple fact : my mouse stays alive more than a few minutes. With puppy-like system, i have this troube with my mouse : after a few minutes, it is dead. DebianDog is the only puppy-like system, up-to-now, that i can use on my desktop computer.

The other fact that i like is the huge Debian repositories available. I would suggest that a new version has APTonCD integrated, as a good and very useful utility for Debian users. So one has a CD or DVD full of software available, in case no internet connection is available when (re)installing DebianDog on a computer and for the simple fact that installing software from APTonCD is fast and and doesn't consume bandwith.

About savefile, i have more work to do to understand how to create one and how to make it persistent. I am used to the Puppy-like way to do it, and setting up a savefile in DebianDog is more challenging than i thought initially.
I keep reading posts about it.
Finally, I would recommend it to friends, even in beta stage. I found no bug, just setting up a savefile that is bugging me, but i am working on it.

saintless

#57 Post by saintless »

Hi, Tony.
tony wrote:No wireless driver wl so connected by wire and downloaded iceweasel and ipkungfu firewall.
DebianDog-jwm-icewm has firehol firewall included but not running by default. No GUI firewall set up yet. I hope we can add one for the next version.
Setting up information for Firehol:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/firehol.htm
Used apt-get to compile wl so wireless now working with frisbee.
If this is the wl driver it can not be included. It is non-free package:
https://wiki.debian.org/wl
Unfortunately I do not have wireless. If you can point me to some wireless drivers from free debian repository we can include them or at least add as separate sfs module on the site.

Toni

saintless

Re: DebianDog

#58 Post by saintless »

Hi.
labbe5 wrote: DebianDog is the only puppy-like system, up-to-now, that i can use on my desktop computer.
All credits go to Debian team :) DebianDog is Debian Wheezy made to look like puppy more or less.
I would suggest that a new version has APTonCD integrated...
I will check out this option.
About savefile, i have more work to do to understand how to create one and how to make it persistent.
Second post explains all options but it is really hard to make a choice if you are not familiar with debian live cd or porteus.

Easiest way is to extract this archive on top of any ext or vfat partition:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/1gb-example-save-file.zip
Now you have 1Gb live-rw save file for live-boot-v2 (squeeze live boot).
Use this code and you have persistent working from boot.

title DebianDog (sda1) 
root=(hd0,0) 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live config persistent swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin showmounts
initrd /live/initrd1.img
Toni

saintless

#59 Post by saintless »

Important fixes regarding save on Exit for porteus boot and remastering options if you use different localization. Information from Fred here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 942#772601
Both iso versions replaced with new ones.
In OpenBox-XFCE version Iseweasel replaced with Firefox.
If you prefer to change the edited scripts without downloading new iso replace the existing scripts with the ones from the archive:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... cripts.zip

Also portable Firefox deb package for Jwm-Icewm version uploaded:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 0_i386.deb

And separate locales sfs module for OpneBox-Xfce version:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... e.squashfs

Information added in the first page posts.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Tue 22 Apr 2014, 03:37, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#60 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Saintless. Great-great work.

My only "desire" is for a simple (as in all PUPs, up to QuirkyTahr) manner for a "total" LiveDVD solution with persistence to the Live disc media at end of session. This manner of operation offers a host of "savior" features, natively, not present in frugal or full installs.

Thanks, again, for this effort for using Debian products straightaway.