Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Nov 2014, 22:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
What's to replace opera?
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:41    Post_subject:  

I've just installed links2 from the pet, and am posting from it now (in Puppy Fire Hydrant). It is fast and works very well if you don't need JavaScript, which can be compiled into it but is a bit hit and miss (and I believe later versions of links don't have it).
cimarron

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:18    Post_subject:  

Just saw this, for anyone still interested in Opera for linux:

Opera Finally Sees New Linux Update With Opera 24 Developer Stream
rokytnji

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:13    Post_subject:  

https://gist.github.com/ruario/99522c94838d0680633c

Edit: My bad for not mentioning that the above instructions are made by a opera employee who uses Slackware and is a respected member at Linux
Questions.org

musher0

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 09:58    Post_subject:  

Thanks cimarron, thanks rokytnji, for this info.

That opera version 24 is a 64-bit only version, right?

BFN.

musher0

666philb

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep 2014, 16:55    Post_subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
Here is Otter Browser as mentioned by James C
Running in Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.11
Problem is it needs Qt5 which I installed (5.2.1) via the official installer but it is not recognising my keyboard configuration so I can't type anything in.
Hopefully this could be resolved, just wanted to do a quick test out of curiosity.

hi OscarTalks,

yes the keyboard problem with qt5 has had me scratching my head.
this fix has solved the problem for me in other qt5 apps .. not tried in otter yet http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2013-October/009303.html

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct 2014, 07:11    Post_subject:  

666philb wrote:
The keyboard problem with qt5 has had me scratching my head.
this fix has solved the problem for me in other qt5 apps .. not tried in otter yet http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2013-October/009303.html

Hello 666philb,

Thanks for posting that. Looks to me like the missing space before the backslash is a typo bug in that file. The other similar lines seem to have the space. I think I will edit the file in my remasters and see if any unwanted side-effects crop up. I might take another look at otter browser when I get some time.

neerajkolte

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct 2014, 08:48    Post_subject:  

Any one wants an SFS for Opera-developer_25.0.1613 get it from here HERE its made for Fatdog64-700.

The discussion about how it's made can be found HERE.

Edit: Forgot to tell you.... I also had to install libnss which also installed libnspr as a dependancy in my Fatdog64-700.

- Neeraj.

Edited_time_total
nic007

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct 2014, 02:18    Post_subject:  

Also still using Opera 11as full featured browser. For general day to day browsing I use Opera Mini. The trillions of extensions to be installed for Firefox was the first thing and still the main thing that puts me off from using it. Opera is also faster in my experience. The newer browsers are also getting massive in size, a problem for older machines.
Seamonkey is actually not too bad, is there a recent pet for the browser only (stripped of the mail, etc.)?
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 12:30    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Seamonkey is actually not too bad, is there a recent pet for the browser only (stripped of the mail, etc.)?

not sure if that would save much space due to the nature of how its built...very similar to trying to shrink libreoffice.
But same problem... getting too many crap sites using the latest javascript so blank pages are the result so need a newer renderer without the penalty of stupid bloat. There is that firefox fork called...erm...there's a thread on it here somewhere...which looked promising but it needs SSE2....supposed to cut out some of the surplus stuff.

libnss/nspr are mozilla libs ...usually in the path or linked to /usr/lib unless seamonkey/firefox are not present

mike
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum