LibreOffice + language packs (latest version: 6.1.4)

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Sky Aisling

LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#101 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, again, Puppus Dogfellow
sure. 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product. (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever). in the end, the 4.2 series loads faster than the 4.1, so i say go for the 4.2.3.
OK, where is that download? (That is USA English.)
EDIT:
Sorry Puppus, You gave it to me as plain as day in the above post. :oops:

LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.pet (209mb)

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#102 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Sky Aisling wrote:Thank you, again, Puppus Dogfellow
sure. 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product. (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever). in the end, the 4.2 series loads faster than the 4.1, so i say go for the 4.2.3.
OK, where is that download? (That is USA English.)
EDIT:
Sorry Puppus, You gave it to me as plain as day in the above post. :oops:

LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.pet (209mb)
glad to help.

edit: should you need java, here is the most recent (17-Apr-2014 44.9M) sfs from shinobarjre-1.7.0.55.sfs and a pet made from it.

edit 2: there may have been an edit zero that was made between the time i posted the original, you read it and wrote a reply, i posted the edit, you posted your reply.
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Sun 04 May 2014, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

slavvo67

#103 Post by slavvo67 »

Vic & Puppus:

Is there anyway you can standardize the terminal command to launch LibreOffice regardless of version? For example, when launching LibreOffice 4.2 from the terminal, I have to remember the version and type libreoffice4.2 to launch.

There's a method to my psychotic, neurotic madness on this... If you guys can do this on future distros, it would be real nice. If not, the world isn't ending... or is it??? LOL

Puppus Dogfellow

#104 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:Vic & Puppus:

Is there anyway you can standardize the terminal command to launch LibreOffice regardless of version? For example, when launching LibreOffice 4.2 from the terminal, I have to remember the version and type libreoffice4.2 to launch.

There's a method to my psychotic, neurotic madness on this... If you guys can do this on future distros, it would be real nice. If not, the world isn't ending... or is it??? LOL

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
libreoffice4.2 --writer /mnt/[rest of location of the file, the name of the file itself included] 
i have no idea how to do what you're asking, slavvo. i use the above script to autostart libre (it's in the start up folder but you can launch writer (or whatever part of LO you substitute) with it with a click.) before i did that, i had a "dummy document" dragged to the desktop so i could get directly into the word processor without having to go through the menu of the suite as a whole. i can't see any other methods being faster or easier, but if you really want to do it easily from the command line, why not just copy something like that into geany or xpad or notecase, set them to autostart ( :lol: ), and paste that into the terminal...

guess that wasn't much help...

and here's something else you may not like: tools > options > quickstarter, which would allow you to start the program from the menu bar.

slavvo67

#105 Post by slavvo67 »

No problem. I'm writing a script for document conversion using Libre through Terminal. I just added a line where the user needs to input the version of Libre they are using so it knows how to execute and start Libre in the background for conversion. It will then use "Libreoffice4.1" or "Libreoffice3.5.2" or whatever the user inputs as their version.

Thanks anyway!

Slavvo

Puppus Dogfellow

#106 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:No problem. I'm writing a script for document conversion using Libre through Terminal. I just added a line where the user needs to input the version of Libre they are using so it knows how to execute and start Libre in the background for conversion. It will then use "Libreoffice4.1" or "Libreoffice3.5.2" or whatever the user inputs as their version.

Thanks anyway!

Slavvo
Sure, no sweat. :lol:

so your script would run LO but without a visible interface? interesting.

getting back to my unhelpulness, a tip that may be of use to someone--

since the clipboard (install glipper or parcelite if you've got one of the rare puppies that doesn't come with one stock) is persistent, highlighting the version you want once makes that text as permanently available as you like--clicking the taskbar clipboard icon calls up all that you've highlighted or copied (depending on how you've set it up) and left clicking on the entry puts it into your middle-click/right click delivery system.

:P

rufwoof

Re: LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#107 Post by rufwoof »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
Sky Aisling wrote:Hello vicmz and all involved in this project :)
I could use a little assistance here.
I'm a bit confused as to which download of LibreOffice to take.
What download of LibreOffice do I take for this application?

Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Openbox/fbpanel
USA English
The machine has 4GB of RAM
Puppy will run from LiveCD
M$ is resident on HDD
There are no Linux partitions on the HDD.
(I can change this if necessary).

Regarding .sfs or .pet: Does it make a difference that Puppy will be running from a LiveCD and there are no Linux partitions to hold the save file?

This is for a person who wants to try Puppy but uses MSWord daily. Yes, I'm aware of WINE but LibreOffice should be able to produce .docs, right?

I've studied the various downloads and I'm at a lost to understand what I need here. Which download and .sfs or .pet?

Thank you for your hard work on this project.
Thank you greatly in advance for your help.
i've never used a live cd, but an sfs is "squashed" and therefore smaller. upgrading is also slightly easier with an sfs file. and yes it can make .doc files, but will encourage you to save it as .odt.

as to space limitations, you can set backups and temp files to be stored outside the save file (tools>options>paths), and use an any off-cd directory (if you choose--if puppy can see it, libre can write to it) for your documents.

again, i have no experience with the live cd method, but if you have the space (it's going to eat about a quarter gig when all is said and done) i suppose it doesn't really matter.

fwiw, 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever...)

HTH
I run with a LiveCD of Slacko all of the time. No savefile, just a remastered and light CD (Puppy SFS around 60MB, basic desktop, calculator, notepad, CD/DVD utils, Package Manager etc.).

The rest I add in, as and when required. Shinobar's Portable Firefox http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91945 and my own homegrown version of Portable Libre Office (4.2.3).

That way you have access to both no matter which (ROX based) Puppy you boot from. The portable apps are on the HDD and accessible (along with all other data (docs, pics etc) and in my case XP (remove CD and reboot to start XP)).

You just navigate to the portable app(s), right click and select the desired option. Any changes are stored in the portable app (persist across reboots).

The portable apps can be stored on any partition, NTFS, EXT, FAT. I have a dedicated EXT partition for my Linux stuff, but could have used the XP partition (just additional directory(s) within the XP stuff/area). Under NTFS however the directory won't be active, you'll have to enter the directory and click on AppRun.

slavvo67

#108 Post by slavvo67 »

Puppus Dogfellow:

As a follow-up to the above, I've created Term-Convert-5 which uses either ABI Word, LibreOffice or PDFtoText in order to convert between document formats. Clearly still alpha but far enough along to throw it out there if you're interested. It puts a menu entry under "Document".

If you're interested: http://www.complianceman.com/puppy2

P.S. - Hello NY! Miss Ya!

Puppus Dogfellow

#109 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rufwoof, that seems like a really cool setup.

slavvo67 wrote:Puppus Dogfellow:

As a follow-up to the above, I've created Term-Convert-5 which uses either ABI Word, LibreOffice or PDFtoText in order to convert between document formats. Clearly still alpha but far enough along to throw it out there if you're interested. It puts a menu entry under "Document".

If you're interested: http://www.complianceman.com/puppy2

P.S. - Hello NY! Miss Ya!
where were you five years ago?...batch convert this, batch convert that...
with this and that as a go between...open this, open that, etc...

so, what formats can your program convert and in which directions?

ps went to the museum of natural history today--i think 7 out of every ten was european. and i don't know what to make of hipsters. seems like some sort of odd uniform they've all got on...

but yeah, you appreciate it when you leave it.
:wink:

slavvo67

#110 Post by slavvo67 »

In theory, the program can convert anything that ABI Word or Libre Office can. Because Libre is a little more specific as to what you convert into, I limited selection of formats to convert into. Technically, there are hundreds of conversion formats.

I only focused on word processor documents and the more typical ones (.abw, .odt, .doc, .docx and add in html, rtf, txt, pdf) this round but will also work on spreadsheets.

The real question is the accuracy of the conversion. For example, using Libre Office in the background to convert ABI Word documents to other formats is not very good. That's where you would use the ABI Word back-end to convert. I'm working on a help page of which to use for each conversion type but it requires quite a bit of testing.

NYC - Yep, I made the mistake of going to the Museum of Natural History in the dead of Winter. Waiting on line to get in - freezing. Finding a place to eat - freezing. Getting home - freezing.

Puppus Dogfellow

#111 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:In theory, the program can convert anything that ABI Word or Libre Office can. Because Libre is a little more specific as to what you convert into, I limited selection of formats to convert into. Technically, there are hundreds of conversion formats.

I only focused on word processor documents and the more typical ones (.abw, .odt, .doc, .docx and add in html, rtf, txt, pdf) this round but will also work on spreadsheets.

The real question is the accuracy of the conversion. For example, using Libre Office in the background to convert ABI Word documents to other formats is not very good. That's where you would use the ABI Word back-end to convert. I'm working on a help page of which to use for each conversion type but it requires quite a bit of testing.

NYC - Yep, I made the mistake of going to the Museum of Natural History in the dead of Winter. Waiting on line to get in - freezing. Finding a place to eat - freezing. Getting home - freezing.
from what i've read, .abw to .rtf to (whatever) might work well.

nyc is too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer. (both can kill you, but the latter seems more antiseptic).

line to get into the museum? sure it wasn't some sort of scam?

slavvo67

Cutting it down...

#112 Post by slavvo67 »

Any chance someone here can cut down the Libre package to just the Writer and maybe Calc?

From what I read on the Libre website, the individual applications can be downloaded and installed as separate applications. Should make for a smaller install....

Just thinking of trying to keep Puppy light, as it was originally intended to be.

EDIT: I just reviewed the Debian packages and it seems the largest parts of the program seem to be required. It probably does not make much sense to drop parts of Libre to save nominal amounts of space. ...

Best,

Slavvo67

Puppus Dogfellow

#113 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz

#114 Post by vicmz »

Thanks! Posted to the first page.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

slavvo67

#115 Post by slavvo67 »

I recently had a major setback with Libre Writer 4.2.0.4 where it crashed / shutdown and only partially recovered on restart. I detailed this a bit more in the Bugs section of the forum.

I will be updating to the latest in hopes that I cannot recreate that issue. :cry:

boxR

LibreOffice 4.2.4 fr + Java 7u60

#116 Post by boxR »

LibreOffice 4.2.4 fr (PET) is now available here : And Java RE 1.7 Update 60 (PET) :

vicmz

#117 Post by vicmz »

Updated. Also added links to lastest versions of Java (v1.8.0.5, v1.7.0.60)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

vicmz

#119 Post by vicmz »

Posted to the first page, thanks! :)

slavvo67

#120 Post by slavvo67 »

Well, I just downloaded the 4.2.4 with hopes to install this weekend. So much for that... on with the new!

Thanks guys!

Slavvo67