How to install DVB drivers in 2.10?

Booting, installing, newbie
gary101

How to install DVB drivers in 2.10?

#1 Post by gary101 »

Hi
Can someone give me a walk through of getting the DVB drivers installed in Puppy?

I am using puppy 2.10 and have a Freecom USB DVB stick.
As far as I am aware the kernel is supposed to have for support DVB
I have been informed that the drivers I require are -dvb-usb.ko and -dvb-usb-dtt200u.ko

I have downloaded the linuxtv-dvb-1.1.1.tar.bz2 and the apps package and have gcc installed.

Do I need to download a fresh copy of the kernel?

Please excuse my ignorance, I managed to compile Nvidia drivers on xandros but that was many years ago and I am feeling a bit out of my depth!

If anyone could walk me through getting this working it would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Gary

gary101

A bit more info

#2 Post by gary101 »

I have had a few thoughts---
Carried out modprobe usb-dvb, shows no modules found.
Kernel is 2.6.16.7
Found that the device is recognised in Kanotix copied all of the firmware files from kanotix into puppy.
Just need to get the drivers installed

Goble

#3 Post by Goble »

I have Puppy 2.10 as "HTPC settop box". I use Twinhan USB DVB-T tuner and VDR frontend as htpc application.

This is a short "straight out from memory" list of issues I did to get it all working.

- Downloaded kernel 2.6.16.7 sources (patched it with SquashFS patch). Another option is to use devx Puppy package and its kernel sources package.
- Re-compiled and installed the kernel and enabled all DVB stuff in modules list (compiled as modules)

These two steps are normal Kernel compilation steps. If you have ever compiled Linux kernel then you already know how to do it. If you have never done it then it is very easy to do, just read INSTALL/README file in Linux kernel sources directory.

Kernel re-compilation and module re-installation is not required if you have access to all missing modules from somewhere else. I just found it to be the easiest way to do it.

- Hotplug firmware loading capability for Puppy

The problems came when I tried to enable the DVB usb tuner. The usb tuner I have required firmware (see www.linuxtv.org website for firmware files, see downloads/firmware directory) file but Puppy didnt have hotplug feature out of the box. See following post:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ht=hotplug

After the new kernel modules were compiled and installed, following commands succeeded to enable my Twinhan DVB-T usb tuner (not to mention that hotplug package and firmware file were installed also):

modprobe dvb-usb
modprobe dvb-usb-vp7045

The later command is different in your case because you have different tuner.

There are still few things I need to do in Puppy to make it "

Ted Dog

Simular goals

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

My guppy project (on hold until 2.13 release) is a bit farther along.
see http://forum.puppylinux.net/viewtopic.php?t=194

Good news the 2.12beta found my pcHDTV 3000 card and installed the devnodes needed, It looks like firmware support will be in 2.12 final. The newer methods BarryK is using moving the modules into a separate squashfile will help the guppy project. If you haven't tried GeexBox check it out (or guppy since it is geekbox + Squashfs & unionfs with more kernel support needed by puppy)
I am trying to figure out T2 build system, haven't got a handle on it just yet.

gary101

Thanks

#5 Post by gary101 »

Thanks Goble & Ted dog.

There certainly sounds like some interesting projects on the go there!

I have managed to get the freecom working in ubuntu dapper so I am starting to get familiar with what is needed. I have the firmware etc.

I have not compiled a kernel before. Thanks for the link, I am sure it will be an educational experience.

I love puppy because it is so bloat free but that is not too much of a concern on my dedicated Puppy-box as I have plenty of room, so once I get the hardware installed then it is a matter of choosing the player for it.

I have been using Kaffeine on ubuntu and it seems to have most of the features I need, not sure whether I might have a play at getting Mythtv working.

Any other suggestions for players? Preferably with an EPG and scheduled recording.

I will be doing any compiling etc at the weekend when I get my new KVM switch (my old one wore out!) so expect to see a flurry of postings as I gradualy get myself more confused! :wink:

Thanks for the info guys, if I manage to get it working it might be worth a 'How to' what do you think?

All the best

Gary

Goble

#6 Post by Goble »

VDR I'm using is mainly for live tv view, EPG browsing and scheduling of tv recordings.

If one needs MP3 players, photo viewers etc then VDR needs addon plugin applications (see http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Main_Page for more info about VDR and plugins).

Neverthless, no matter which HTPC application you use then first step is to make sure you can get the Puppy kernel to recognize your USB tuner. There you need kernel modules for your DVB USB tuner and hotplug application to load firmware file.