Need tool to detect 802.11b networks

Using applications, configuring, problems
peppyy

Need tool to detect 802.11b networks

#1 Post by peppyy »

I am a stubborn old cuss and I have been trying to make this work in Puppy for quite a while. wavestumbler
I am looking for something I can use to detect 802.11b networks that work with my Orinoco gold classic card and custom built cAntenna.

I got used to the ./configure etc commands and I am lost from too much reading.
(Old brain cramps really easy)[/url]
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Have you tried iwlist from the command line?

Code: Select all

iwlist scan
***EDIT **
Ups.. sorry, the orinoco drivers don't support scanning.

And actually the wavestumbler patch you are trying to apply to your kernel is for pre 2.4.18. Puppy uses kernel 2.4.27.

What have you done to use wavestumbler. I cannot try it right now because my other computer where I can compile the kernel is acting up and I had to take it back for a guarantee check-up.

According to the INSTALL file and based on Puppy requirements you would have to do the following:

- Configure a full distribution to compile the puppy Kernel
- Get the kernel source
- Apply the wavestumbler patch
- Compile the kernel
- Test the new kernel with puppy.

But that may not work because of Puppy's kernel version.

peppyy

#3 Post by peppyy »

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something I can use to tune wireless antennas and link areas. I have seen all the info on netstumbler for vindows but that ain't gonna happen.

I have been using iwconfig to find the signal level and determine which networks have the best signal but I can only see one at a time.
Thisis the card I bought. I beleive it is fully compatable with the roaming features and is the hermes format. I know that 1.0.3 treats it as a standard network card and loads it automatically. If I am not within range it tells me the cable is unplugged.

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"home"  Nickname:"HERMES I"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.447GHz  Access Point: 00:E0:98:DE:D3:33  
          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3  
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:61/92  Signal level:-37 dBm  Noise level:-98 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:1
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

I know my network is wide open but I will change that when I finish setting up the card and antennas.

Since it says "no wireless extensions" I am gussing that there are some I can add?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

BlackAdder

#4 Post by BlackAdder »

Don't know if this is useful, but it looks as though the Orinoco Gold card reports the signal level when iwconfig is used.
Link Quality:61/92 Signal level:-37 dBm Noise level:-98 dBm
The following is taken from another forum, and gives you some info about your card:
The most important is the receive sensitivity of your equipment. Many manufacturers fail to publish this data, but those that do will generally rate their radios by dBm at various data rates. As an example, let us take the venerable ORiNOCO Gold 802.11b "Classic" card. Its receive sensitivity is:

* -94 dBm at 1 Mbps
* -91 dBm at 2 Mbps
* -87 dBm at 5.5 Mbps
* -82 dBm at 11 Mbps

In theory this means, in order to operate at 11 Mbps, this card must be consistently receiving a minimum signal level of -82 dBm. Any less and it is likely to drop to one of the lower rates; if you get as low as -94 dBm then the connection may drop altogether.
According to that you are getting a signal that is well able to support 11Mbps. An inelegant way to test could be to move things around and then use iwconfig to show what signal level it thinks it is getting. An alternative might be to test with Windows. Most adapters come with a utility that dynamically shows the signal level; some also show the available networks. Only suggesting using that for initial testing and setup . But you may not want the hassle of Windows after experiencing the joys of puppy-surfing.

BTW, there are never any wireless extensions on l0. On etho it is showing what the extensions are.

Hope this helps.

peppyy

#5 Post by peppyy »

I have found that it works very well for an 11b card. The only tests I have been able to run were online tests and they are limited by my internet connection.

iwconfig eth0 sensitivity 3
Sets the recieve up when the signal gets low. I can get just about the same speed until it says link quality 20/92.

I loose signal from my 20 dollar no brand router at about 100 feet, that is through a couple walls and out in the back yard. When I plug in my homemade cantenna i am back to about 35/92.

Next project is to grab my old satellite dishes and see how far I can link then.
Attachments
netspeed1.png
(43.67 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Puppy Linux...
It just works!