LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

Re: Switcher Link

#241 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:That link (for your new switcher) doesn't appear to be working peebee?

>>>---Indian------>
Looks like a Box problem....will probably sort itself...

Also available from

Desktop - Change appearance - Download - conky

or direct link
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

sszindian

Switcher

#242 Post by sszindian »

OK... your new conkeyswitcher direct-link was good... solved the disappearing problem and works very nice but...

I originally had conky-1.8.1-i486 from the Saluki Repo installed. I deleted that and installed conky-1.9.0 from the PPM. That didn't work? tried another 1.9.0 from a different distro site (also in PPM) and that was a no-go also. Reverted back to the 1.8.1 from Saluki and that works like a charm... No idea why?

'Thanks for the extra work!!!"

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
Desktop-2_2014-03-29_145503.png
(118.54 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

peebee

Re: Switcher

#243 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:OK... your new conkeyswitcher direct-link was good... solved the disappearing problem and works very nice but...

I originally had conky-1.8.1-i486 from the Saluki Repo installed. I deleted that and installed conky-1.9.0 from the PPM. That didn't work? tried another 1.9.0 from a different distro site (also in PPM) and that was a no-go also. Reverted back to the 1.8.1 from Saluki and that works like a charm... No idea why?

'Thanks for the extra work!!!"

>>>---Indian------>
I recommend to use the conky included in the LxPup14.03 iso as it contains some necessary libraries.....

Desktop - Change appearance - Options - Conky

Install it before installing the switcher
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

live

#244 Post by live »

I have issues with non US chars, could you please update:

http://www.tuxera.com/community/release-history/

at the same time

http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a ... =Changelog
and recompile players accordingly

Thanks

live

#245 Post by live »

I want to specify that the issue I experience with non US characters is specific to LxPup 14.03 not to Precise 5.7.1

peebee

#246 Post by peebee »

live wrote:I want to specify that the issue I experience with non US characters is specific to LxPup 14.03 not to Precise 5.7.1
Hello Live

LxPup14.03 is a derivative of Slacko5.7 - not Precise 5.7.1.....

So the first thing I ask you to do is test if you have this problem when using a vanilla pristine frugal install of Slacko5.7 please?

All issues such as NTFS support LxPup inherits from Slacko 5.7 so any requests to update ntfs-3g need to be directed to Slacko5.7

I'm afraid that you haven't given enough description of what your "Non-US characters" problem actually is - again I would expect any such problem to be directed to Slacko5.7.

Sorry I can't help any further at the moment on the basis of your problem description.

Cheers
peebee

natgab

How do I edit Conky & how do I remove programs

#247 Post by natgab »

Hi PeeBee, I have been Jejy69’s LxPup on my Thinkpad X40 and wanted to try out and see what you had updated. Works great so far on both my Thinkpad R61.

I have two questions, first should be easy. How do I edit the Conky file to resize the bars? I had done it before in Crunchbang but forgot how I did it. :? As you can see from the screenshot, if I use any kind of wallpaper with a large picture the Conky overlaps. This is from my R61, I think it would look even bigger on the X40.

Second question is how can I delete applications to have a slimmer LxPup? I want to trim down to one text editor, basic internet, barebones multimedia. I want to simplify for my niece who now uses the X40 and for an old HP w/ 512 RAM that I want to play around with. I opened the remove built in pkgs application, but that seems to be system items not regular applications. Can I remove them with Puppy Package Manager?

Is it easier for me to build up to what I like? Is there a stripped Slacko / Lucid to build up from?

[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

peebee

Re: How do I edit Conky & how do I remove programs

#248 Post by peebee »

natgab wrote:Hi PeeBee, I have been Jejy69’s LxPup on my Thinkpad X40 and wanted to try out and see what you had updated. Works great so far on both my Thinkpad R61.

I have two questions, first should be easy. How do I edit the Conky file to resize the bars? I had done it before in Crunchbang but forgot how I did it. :? As you can see from the screenshot, if I use any kind of wallpaper with a large picture the Conky overlaps. This is from my R61, I think it would look even bigger on the X40.

Second question is how can I delete applications to have a slimmer LxPup? I want to trim down to one text editor, basic internet, barebones multimedia. I want to simplify for my niece who now uses the X40 and for an old HP w/ 512 RAM that I want to play around with. I opened the remove built in pkgs application, but that seems to be system items not regular applications. Can I remove them with Puppy Package Manager?

Is it easier for me to build up to what I like? Is there a stripped Slacko / Lucid to build up from?
Hi natgab

Question 1: you can find the Conky configuration file in /root/.config/conky (note the hidden .config directory) - you could try changing the width= parameters in bargraph.lua

Question 2: not sure if you want to completely remove things so as to make the .sfs smaller or just to hide things in the menu? The first I can't really help with other than to say that my build methods (making an .sfs of additions and then using woofy to amend and create a new .iso) do not update the list of in-built components I'm afraid so you are limited to using the tools that ship with Slacko to remove components and then do a Remaster. If you just want to hide things in the menu then that is easier - just delete or rename items in /usr/share/applications or edit them to include the NoDisplay=true line (see Browse the Web = defaultbrowser.desktop for an example)

Question 3: 01micko has not as yet released a Tiny version of Slacko5.7

Hope that helps
Cheers
PeeBee

natgab

Re: How do I edit Conky & how do I remove programs

#249 Post by natgab »

peebee wrote: Hi natgab

Question 1: you can find the Conky configuration file in /root/.config/conky (note the hidden .config directory) - you could try changing the width= parameters in bargraph.lua

Question 2: not sure if you want to completely remove things so as to make the .sfs smaller or just to hide things in the menu? The first I can't really help with other than to say that my build methods (making an .sfs of additions and then using woofy to amend and create a new .iso) do not update the list of in-built components I'm afraid so you are limited to using the tools that ship with Slacko to remove components and then do a Remaster. If you just want to hide things in the menu then that is easier - just delete or rename items in /usr/share/applications or edit them to include the NoDisplay=true line (see Browse the Web = defaultbrowser.desktop for an example)

Question 3: 01micko has not as yet released a Tiny version of Slacko5.7

Hope that helps
Cheers
PeeBee
--Cool, I can open the file and see if I can adjust the bars. They seem a bit too long. I will see what I come up with and update. So far its been very useable and fun.

--I will try cleaning up the menu on my R61 before I update the ThinkPad X40, I think it will make it easier on my niece.

--I was just hoping there was smaller version of Slacko 5.7 so I could make use of some straggler 1 or 2GB USB sticks without dealing with ROX / FWM. I will look around at the smaller puppies and then maybe try and add on the LxPup SFS file and see if I get one working.
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

peebee

Thin-LxPup

#250 Post by peebee »

natgab wrote:Is it easier for me to build up to what I like? Is there a stripped Slacko / Lucid to build up from?
Hi natgab

Had a play - the latest Slacko-by-SFS will run OK on Thin-Slacko-5.5.01 which is c. 125MB

There is one small change needed to stop a nagging error message - delete:
/root/Startup/z-lxde-startup.sh

Some of the options (e.g. Conky) don't quite work properly but most do.

However, I have acpi problems with Thin-Slacko on my laptop - errors on bootup and hangs on shutdown....may or may not apply to other people...

Cheers
peebee

Chris_W

LxPup Startup System Tray Prob

#251 Post by Chris_W »

Greetings!

I'm currently configuring my ASUS eeepc 701 for LxPup 14.03, which means making the Font dpi smaller, changing some of the font sizes, etc, etc. (previously on LxPup 13.01)

I find that almost every time I've done this, eventually after a reboot (on a frugal usb install, 1G save file), I have a problem that initially starts with lx panel not displaying, until I click the mouse, at which time it displays correctly.

Eventually though, I find that I get: Error No such file or directory
and the Panel System Tray app fails to display items except the usage monitor, clock, and anything I've put in root\start (like Libreoffice Quickstarter).
The other things are actually functioning, but just not displaying in the panel system tray....

I've tried to do a number of instals, to isolate what the cause is, but am finding that pretty tricky, as the behaviour 'creeps up on me'.

Any ideas? Or suggestions of additional information I can give/checks I can make?

Otherwise, (apart from Suspend not working except at the very beginning), it all looks extremely smooth and well integrated - lovely infact!

regards,

Chris_W
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-04-29_230227_2.png
(85.46 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

peebee

Re: LxPup Startup System Tray Prob

#252 Post by peebee »

Chris_W wrote:Any ideas? Or suggestions of additional information I can give/checks I can make?

Otherwise, (apart from Suspend not working except at the very beginning), it all looks extremely smooth and well integrated - lovely infact!

regards,

Chris_W
Hi Chris_W

Thanks for the feedback.

Which "flavour" of LxPup14.03 are you running?

How do you do a reboot? Do you always go through the Menu - Session route or do you at any time do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to drop out to the terminal?

Your error message is a symptom of /root/.config/autostart directory being absent I think. Can you look in /root/.config and see if either autostart or lx-autostart are there?

I've been a bit worried about this logic for a bit, so am interested in what is going wrong for you.....

[Later] Marv (thanks Marv) has suggested a fix - please try the pet below to see if it helps - if you have no autostart or lx-autostart in /root/.config then you will need do a fresh install.....

Cheers
PeeBee
Last edited by peebee on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_W

#253 Post by Chris_W »

> Which "flavour" of LxPup14.03 are you running?
The non-pae one based on Slacko 5.7

> How do you do a reboot? Always through the menu.

Disclosure: I did also at one point add in the .pet for the Crunchy theme (don't recall the exact name) as I wanted the black menu look of LxPup 13.01... Uninstalled later to try and remove fault possibility...

Will check the /root/.config situation & try the .pet when as soon as I can. (Currently at work & out this evening)...

Thanks for the help so far :o)

cheers Chris_W

Chris_W

#254 Post by Chris_W »

Hi Peebee,

> Can you look in /root/.config and see if either autostart or lx-autostart are there?
Neither were there - you were right.

> please try the attached pet to see if it helps.
I've created a fresh pup_save & installed the suggested .pet
It seems to have solved the problem in that /root/.config/autostart exists now, and I've been able to add/mess with fonts, add crunchie theme etc, all good.

Strangely though, I still need to do a mouse click on startup to have the taskbar show up, and a gap displays where Retrovol should be... (I have to kill and restart it). I think Retrovol is starting first? & has some sort of timing prob?
No biggie tho.

Thanks for your help on this (& to Marv to) - this puppy is fantastic!

cheers Chris_W

peebee

#255 Post by peebee »

Chris_W wrote:I've created a fresh pup_save & installed the suggested .pet
It seems to have solved the problem in that /root/.config/autostart exists now, and I've been able to add/mess with fonts, add crunchie theme etc, all good.

Strangely though, I still need to do a mouse click on startup to have the taskbar show up, and a gap displays where Retrovol should be... (I have to kill and restart it). I think Retrovol is starting first? & has some sort of timing prob?
cheers Chris_W
Hi Chris_W

Superceded - later pet further down....

The mouse click on startup is a known "feature".....

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sat 03 May 2014, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_W

#256 Post by Chris_W »

PeeBee,

Booted Up this morning to try your tweak. But it seems I was premature in signalling success. Got the 'Error No such file or directory' message again before I could apply the change, and neither /root/.config/autostart nor /root/.config/lx-autostart are present.

I haven't looked into these scripts at all, but after all my install configuring and a few reboots, I only once clicked on shutdown - which was after I thought the problem was beat.
Don't know if there is anything specifically different in the shutdown script from the reboot one?

I guess it's tricky to divine the failure mechanism here, but I suspect timing issues. Is it possible to add some logging to these scripts so I can collect results that might give more clues on failure mechanism?

I'm happy to run test scripts, tweak stuff - but my understanding of scripting is currently pretty slight (happy to learn tho).

Also, it looks like I now need to re-install again (based on your advice to do this if I lose these directories). If I were to take a copy of the root/.config/autostart directory next time I'm set up, would this allow me to simply replace it, next time I lose it? - or is there more to it - like variables being changed, etc...

cheers Chris_W

Marv

#257 Post by Marv »

Chris_W wrote:PeeBee,

Booted Up this morning to try your tweak. But it seems I was premature in signalling success. Got the 'Error No such file or directory' message again before I could apply the change, and neither /root/.config/autostart nor /root/.config/lx-autostart are present.

I haven't looked into these scripts at all, but after all my install configuring and a few reboots, I only once clicked on shutdown - which was after I thought the problem was beat.
Don't know if there is anything specifically different in the shutdown script from the reboot one?

I guess it's tricky to divine the failure mechanism here, but I suspect timing issues. Is it possible to add some logging to these scripts so I can collect results that might give more clues on failure mechanism?

I'm happy to run test scripts, tweak stuff - but my understanding of scripting is currently pretty slight (happy to learn tho).

Also, it looks like I now need to re-install again (based on your advice to do this if I lose these directories). If I were to take a copy of the root/.config/autostart directory next time I'm set up, would this allow me to simply replace it, next time I lose it? - or is there more to it - like variables being changed, etc...

cheers Chris_W
Yes, you need to get the lx-autostart back before trying the tweak. Couple of things to try prior to reinstalling if you haven't yet. Fschecking the save file may 'get' the needed lx-autostart back. Putting the kernel command pfix=fsck in the menu.lst entry (in grub4dos for me) and then rebooting or booting from a cd etc not using the save file and running e2fsck on the save file may do it. I have also just made a backup copy of it to use when 'lost'. Very interested in knowing if the change works for you once it is back.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Chris_W

#258 Post by Chris_W »

Thanks Marv,

At work now, but will try these things later. Will prob boot from another usb & see if I can use that to do the fscheck on the save file, etc.

cheers Chris_W

Chris_W

#259 Post by Chris_W »

PeeBee, Marv,

OK - so I booted an old pup, to look at my Lxpup 14.03 save file, and low and behold, root/.config/lx-autostart was there! Perhaps I was hasty checking this morning...
I made a backup copy of lx-autostart, shut down, and then booted from the LxPup 14.03 pup.
It came up with the 'Error No such file or directory' message, so I copied lx-autostart back in and renamed to autostart....

I then removed the previous .pet patch and applied the new one, and rebooted ........

It came up with the 'Error No such file or directory' message again.
On replacing autostart, powering down & booting, same result.

Should I try reinstalling, applying the fix .pet, and then testing it?
Any other tests you'd like me to try?

cheers Chris_W

Chris_W

#260 Post by Chris_W »

ps. I also just booted from a copy of the save file & then had a look at the state of the save file as it had been shut down.

The lx-autostart folder was in place. So I'm thinking the problem is not in the shutdown scripts, just the startup.

Chris_W