Apache OpenOffice

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
01micko

Apache OpenOffice

#1 Post by 01micko »

Hi everybody

Open Office is back. Oracle has "donated" it to the ASF (Apache Software foundation). So, we are again spoiled for choice :)

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

-

I have made an sfs (us locale only for now, lang packs are available) of the new openoffice-3.4. There are now 2 versions, XZ, for Slacko, Racy, Exprimo, Precise and GZ for Wary, Lupu and maybe other older pups (ymmv)

It is called "stable" by Apache, and with my limited testing it seems fine. Test away folks, it should be good for everyday use. The sfs produces menu entries but I have not integrated any rox mime-types for now.

Download XZ 141MB

Checksum: d66e8a603e621b3af43d8d9d4f58ac5e

Download GZ 163MB

Checksum: af12c8ee0617a20bf6eee4dc55418619

Enjoy!
Attachments
aoo_xlsx.jpg
a screeny of apache_openoffice editing a microsoft .xlsx spreadsheet.
(50.04 KiB) Downloaded 35380 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

cowboy

openoffice

#2 Post by cowboy »

O1micko,

Thank you. Care to do an early libreoffice v. openoffice comparison? There has been a lot of chatter along the lines of "Why did Apache bother?" but, like you, I think it's always good to have a choice. Monocultures can be dangerous.

It will be interesting to watch the relationship (or lack of one) between Openoffice and Libreoffice going forward.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Thanks ! 8)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

bsprakash

Thanks a ton..

#4 Post by bsprakash »

Hi..
Thanks for the latest office..

I tried to convert tar,gz to Sfs using mksquashfs command.
It converted.. But when i configure that .sfs file at bootup.. no where it is showing..

I tried tgz2pet and converted into .pet
That also not making Menu entry..
Can you tell me how can i make Sfs or Pet file which makes Menu entries.

Thanks in Advance..

Monsie

Apache OpenOffice

#5 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Has anyone had success running OpenOffice in Wary Puppy? I downloaded the gz version, loaded the sfs package, rebooted and tried to start the program but without any luck. The light on the drive starts up, so it looks as if the program is trying to load, but then it stops without presenting any error message or other activity on the screen.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

keniv

#6 Post by keniv »

Hi All

Downloaded the "lupu" version. It works OK (limited testing) but gives an error when unloading. I cannot remember the details of this but unifons was mentioned and I was told it would be fully unloaded at next bootup. At next bootup I got "next boot will be faster" which I have only seen before with a new save file. When desktop appeared the icons were messed up. Not content with doing this once I tried again with the same result. I am not keen to try it again. I have lo as an sfs and have tried other sfs files and have never had a problem with loading or unloading. I am wondering if anybody else has had the same experience with the lupu version. The md5 check sum was correct. I have checked it twice. I agree it would be nice to have a choice between oo and lo If oo works properly.

Regards,

Ken.

Monsie

Apache OpenOffice

#7 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Update:

Apache OpenOffice 3.4 will work in Wary Puppy 5.3.... providing that you first install a more recent glibc2 package which is a system requirement. Wary Puppy does not have the most recent glibc2 (also known as libc6) but thanks to a download location provided by Tman, you can find a more recent version that works over here. As always, be sure to back up your important files before applying this system update.

That said, I found that OpenOffice 3.4 was slow to load on my system for at least a couple of reasons:
  • I am running pupmode 13 with usb 1.1 spec for my flash drives,
    I am maxed out at 384 mb ram on my old Pentium 3 while OpenOffice 3.4 prefers 512 mb ram or greater...
Still, there is some room for adjustment. I suspect that if I were to unload some of my other sfs packages, it would free up some ram for me. Also, if I were to install Wary onto my hard drive, I would gain some performance over using my flash drive(s).

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

Apache OpenOffice

#8 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Here's another update:

The official build of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 and 3.4.1 requires glibc 2.11.1 or newer in order to run. There has been some confusion about this because the documentation with the software concerning system requirements was not updated, however the system requirements have been updated at the Apache OpenOffice website.

While I have been able to run Mick's OpenOffice package after upgrading glibc in Wary Puppy as mentioned in my previous post, further testing shows that this is not a recommended approach because any attempts to uninstall the glibc upgrade will break Wary Puppy.

I have tried to re-package the glibc upgrade to make it safe and usable: see this thread here but have not been successful to date. In spite of this, my efforts have paid off, because it prompted me to do more research and in the process, I found another solution. :D

It turns out that a lot of users wanted to run the new version of Apache OpenOffice but couldn't because their distro ran an older version of glibc... and I suspect that if you are a Redhat customer, this carries some weight :wink: To make a long story shorter, the OpenOffice developers compiled some unofficial builds that will run on a system with glibc 2.5 as per the previous system requirements for OpenOffice 3x You can download an Unofficial Development Build here at: http://people.apache.org/~arielch/packa ... glibc-2.5/

That said, for Puppy Linux, you want to download a standalone build AKA a Full Archived Set because this build requires no installation (it just needs to be extracted and placed in a good location such as my-applications directory) so it should be compatible with any breed that meets the older glibc specification. While it is not stated in the system requirements, if I remember correctly, Java runtime 1.6 is required for full functionality.

To run OpenOffice 3.4.1 you need to find the executable:

Code: Select all

/Apache_OpenOffice.../openoffice.org3/program/soffice
For convenience, you should be able to place a shortcut to the soffice script on the desktop. Once this shell script is started however (and this is a new feature for version 3.4.1) a quick launch icon will start up on the tray of your desktop which you can then use to launch and/or switch to any of the OpenOffice applications. :)

Lastly, in terms of the system requirements, OpenOffice 3.4.1 needs a lot of ram... in my testing, I recommend at least 512 mb and not the 256 mb minimum as stated in the documentation.

I was perhaps a bit long winded, but I had a PM from a teacher who is new to Linux and who is just recently running Wary Puppy on many of the older computers at his school... 8) It turns out that he needs OpenOffice because his staff and students are used to running this particular office suite.

Hope this helps,
Monsie

myr_the_rebel

Apache OpenOffice

#9 Post by myr_the_rebel »

Guys, I've made some language packs for Apache OpenOffice.

Chinese (Traditional and Simplified): http://uploading.com/m4b3ff99/Apache_Op ... h-TWCN-sfs

English (US and GB locales): http://uploading.com/e8384468/Apache_Op ... ack_en-sfs

I will add another language pack in another post. Thanks! :)

myr_the_rebel

Apache OpenOffice

#10 Post by myr_the_rebel »

I'm adding an additional language pack for Apache OpenOffice. Here are the download links:

Other languages (French, German, etc. ) - http://uploading.com/9759dd7m/Apache_Op ... rs_5-4-sfs

MD5SUM - http://uploading.com/ee42732a/Apache_Op ... fs-md5-txt

boxR

#11 Post by boxR »

slavvo67

#12 Post by slavvo67 »

The sfs produces menu entries but I have not integrated any rox mime-types for now.
Mime me baby....

boxR

#13 Post by boxR »

French version of OpenOffice here :

Pelo

Apache open office 4.0.0 in Slacko eeepc

#14 Post by Pelo »

Apache open office in Slacko eeepc needs Java runtime environment, RAM is 680MB Can i run Open Office on an older computer with Puppy or is it better to run the Windows version to keep my puppy as fast as usual..
And to have my housewife believing Puppy is not able to do it.
Laptops are not really done for this kind of office job, are they ?
"Lastly, in terms of the system requirements, OpenOffice 3.4.1 needs a lot of ram... in my testing, I recommend at least 512 mb ..." exactly, Monsie, apache is for computers for workers, not for evening leasure in the sofa.
Or only once a month, to pay the bills.

Slacko 5.7 for the EEEpc ; in fact i tried to load Abiword from my tool case (Abiword would be enough for our business letters at home, even too much, but libs are missing). In the opposite gnumeric well accepted
OOo 4.0.0 is really a big one furthermore i have jRE to activate excepted for Open Office Draw
Is there a brand new version of Open office light (2016) for light activity ?
Attachments
Secrétariat.jpg
Important is not to have it, it's to use it after a long and painful day with Word at the office
(54.32 KiB) Downloaded 3193 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 12 May 2016, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#15 Post by 8Geee »

There isSoftmaker FreeOffice. This one is very small compared to OpenOffice with Java (sorry, link is english, click on a flag at right to change language). The download is only 64Mb. Older puppies can use it with older MicrosoftOffice programs.
I use this FreeOffice on my own version of slacko5.7-2016eee. Small and strong. There is a way to remove languages you don't want, and help-files you don't need (in different language).

Editted for link and language
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

Hello everyone.

I've put together an sfs of apache Open Office 4.1.2, which is the latest version as
of this writing. Available from :
-- https://www.adrive.com/public/NUCwyV/aO ... _en-US.sfs --
As you can see from the filename in the link, this one has the US English interface.

~~ Edits ~~
(Our French-speaking colleagues may be interested in the sfs of the French version.
They can access it from here.)

Notes --
# 1: Please note that this sfs is for recent 32-bit Puppies (even running on a 64-bit
computer). Untried on 64-bit Puppies.

# 2: Untried on older Puppies. Works fine on the following: "The Pooch" (so...
should work on most Dpup Wheezies) and Slim-6 (so... should work on recent
Slackos). Experience reports for other "breeds" of Pups are welcome.

End of notes --
~~ End of edits ~~

A peculiarity of this sfs is that it does NOT have the *.desktop file NOR the
symlinks in /usr/bin. So when you'll load this aOO sfs with sfs_load, you will NOT
be shown the familiar launch panel usually presented by sfs_load when it has
finished loading.

The reason I prepared the sfs this way is that the links offered by ex-factory
ApacheOpenOffice are NOT well suited for PuppyLinux:
  • -- the default symlinks offer "openoffice" filenames, whereas,
    -- more often than not, the *.desktop files call < soffice -something >. Plus
    -- PuppyLinux does not have the same menu differentiation as other distros, not
    __ exactly the same menu categories.
As a consequence, I redid most of the "desktop-integration" into a separate pet.
Please get it from here:
-- https://www.adrive.com/public/JCY8GX/aO ... dsktp2.pet --

The order in which you install the two files above (the pet for the menu and /usr/bin,
and the sfs) does not matter. However, you have to install BOTH before you can
access the Open Office apps. This reminder may sound silly, but "human RAM
is a device that forgets". You remember that, don't you? ;)

Normally, you should see only one menu entry per OpenOffice application. E.g.
"OpenOffice Writer" under Document, "OpenOffice Calc" under Business, and so on.

This sfs of Apache Open Office will be located under /opt. On first launch, it will
create a user directory at /root/.config/openoffice4. I stongly suggest that you
move this directory to /mnt/home and bring a symlink of it back in place, because
this user directory can get pretty big pretty quickly, especially if you equip your aOO
with major plug-ins and templates.

Any problems, let me know. There shouldn't be any since I have tested it for more
than 10 days, But just in case, so you know that I'm here as a resource.

Enjoy! BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

I just did a major edit of the style and contents of the message above.
It may be worth a re-read.

TWYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

If you need it, you'd download the 64-bit version from:
-- https://www.adrive.com/public/CWRAtf/aO ... _en-GB.sfs --

As mentioned in my post at the top of this page, you'll also have to install the pet
archive for the desktop integration for this aOO 64-bit to work.
This pet for
desktop integration should be "bit-neutral", since there are no executables in it.

Enjoy.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Puppus Dogfellow

#19 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

My pleasure!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~