Puppy Slacko 5.7 USB boot is not working

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mekalu2k4

#1 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi all,
Today a few of my friends visited my new puppy-slacko5.7 machine. They also wanted to try. We tried on as many as 8 machines - 5 desktops, 3 laptops - all have DVD drives (of course usb slots).

Downloaded slacko 5.7 ISO file

1. burn CD or DVD - both worked on all PCs, laptops - no problems

2. Used pupy-universal-installer to put it on USB - not a single machine worked. Got message 'pupp...sfs file not found; Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console'.

3. Used 'bootflash-install to USB' - not a single machine worked. Got message 'pupp...sfs file not found; Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console'.

All machines behaved in the same way. Pls note that they all started fine with a CD. Guys were reading various forums for solutions, giving some commands as 'puppy pmedia=usb' -- nothing worked. Some tried to edit the sys files (as provided by forums) - nothing worked again.

4. downloaded 'unetbootin' - using this they made USB drives (with download option, not ISO option) by downloading slacko 4.2. This worked perfectly on all machines. All booted fine, but that version has 'internet connection' we could not figure out how to go online with slacko-4.2 So, there is no use. But the look and feel is way better than 5.7. For that matter, Slacko 4.2 comes with a nice clock and calendar on right side; icons are also nice.

5. used 'unetbootin' with ISO option and selected 5.7 ISO, but no machine worked again.

6. Next attempt - two guys used slacko-4.2 USB, replaced 3 files with those from 5.7 version (vmlinuz, initrd, sfs file); checked uppercase, lowercase issues - nothing worked again.

Those guys are intrigued, and took this as a 'defeat'. However, I feel something wrong here with 5.7 version. I directly tried with a CD; we formatted our internal hard drive and that is it. I never tried to put the puppy on USB. But, apparently it may not be possible.

What I suggest - make this 'unetbootin' to download the 5.7 version. That will solve the problems. Or, make two versions - one ISO (for CDs) - and then another one for USB sticks.

For your action - we want as many guys as possible to get onto the puppy train.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try the boot method here.

mekalu2k4

#3 Post by mekalu2k4 »

We just tried ISObooter with Slacko 5.7 ISO alone. It worked on one desktop PC very nicely, we are able to go online too.

Thanks - rcrsn51 for your succinct response. Just imagine, we all were breaking our heads by permutations and combinations. Some useless threads need to removed, they are misleading indeed.

Tomorrow, we will try on other machines and see how they respond.

mekalu2k4

#4 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi all,
We just tried ISObooter with Slacko 5.7 ISO alone. It worked on one desktop PC (this is a old HP machine with P4 processor) - all fine.

But we tried on Dell-Optilex-745 desktop with the same USB with the same ISObooter. We got the same message 'puppy_slacko_5.7.0.sfs not found; Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console'. Please note that this machine is working fine with Puppy, when we boot with the CD (burnt using same ISO).

Since I am suspecting this ISO of puppy 5.7; we added Ubuntu ISO and tried. We got the option for both at the startup, went ahead with Ubuntu, it worked fine, everything normal.

So, I continue to request guys to look into this. To assist you all, I putting the screens of contents of USB.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-05-02_122549.png
Screenshot of inside of Puppy ISO
(29.8 KiB) Downloaded 1743 times
Screenshot_2014-05-02_122500.png
Screen shot of USB
(30.69 KiB) Downloaded 1643 times

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try using a different flash drive. Sometimes FAT16 will work differently than FAT32.

Booting Puppy off USB has always been a bit of a black art. Lots of people have successfully booted Puppy 5.7 off USB. But on some hardware, it just doesn't work.

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

mekalu2k4

#7 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi all,

I did not try again. I am of the opinion that all my friends have latest computers with CD/DVD drives. Puppy is working fine with CD in live mode. If somebody is interested to switch, they can do in either way - try with live mode/CD or install into the drive.

If USB mode of puppy is not working, that should NOT be a factor to worry. What about windows? I do not think we can do live mode or usb mode with Windows (though I see some links, may be those are for real experts?). This is what I told my friends.

Longtime MS office users (like me) might feel difficult. Most of the clicks we automatically do because, we might have practiced / acquainted with office. But this linux world is free, I do hope it remains free at least for next 10 years?

Have a great weekend.

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »