PupControl-3.3

Miscellaneous tools
oldyeller

#81 Post by oldyeller »

Hi radky,

I have just downloaded and installed this. You sure do know how to keep a guy busy trying to keep up with all of your great work that you do. I will try in a couple of days to get all of your apps in my repos.

Cheers

sheldonisaac

need help

#82 Post by sheldonisaac »

radky wrote:PupControl-2.5. See main post.
- Recommendation: If an older version of PupControl is already installed, please uninstall and remove the old folder (/usr/local/PupControl) before installing the new packages.
Under rerwin's Super Lucid Puppy 2, I uninstalled 'built-in packages' the existing PupControl, and removed the folder as you said.

When I clicked on the new pet, it failed to install.

What can be done to restore PupControl?

Thank you,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

radky

#83 Post by radky »

oldyeller wrote:I will try in a couple of days to get all of your apps in my repos.
Thanks oldyeller! :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

radky

Re: need help

#84 Post by radky »

sheldonisaac wrote:When I clicked on the new pet, it failed to install.
The Puppy 'Remove builtin packages' script does not remove all components of the original pet installation. Specifically, residual resource files from old versions of PupControl (prior to version 2.5) will interfere with the new PupControl.

1 - In ROX-Filer (or your current filemanager) please manually delete the /usr/local/PupControl folder.

2 - Deleting the PupControl folder will remove the old resource files, and the new PupControl-2.5 pet should install correctly.

3 - At this point, if the pet does not install correctly, you could download a fresh copy with Pwget or similar utility. In my experience with firefox, direct browser downloads are sometimes unreliable.

Thanks Sheldon! :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

sheldonisaac

Re: need help

#85 Post by sheldonisaac »

radky wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:When I clicked on the new pet, it failed to install.
1 - In ROX-Filer (or your current filemanager) please manually delete the /usr/local/PupControl folder.

2 - Deleting the PupControl folder will remove the old resource files, and the new PupControl-2.5 pet should install correctly.

3 - At this point, if the pet does not install correctly, you could download a fresh copy with Pwget or similar utility. In my experience with firefox, direct browser downloads are sometimes unreliable.
Whew!
Finally it works.
I did all your steps. Had never before used Pwget.

I booted another Puppy to remove the "inode/unknown" PupControl in /usr/local/
After I mounted /mnt/home/SuLu/sulusave-Dec28.2fs

Many thanks.

radky

#86 Post by radky »

Pup-Control-2.6
- Updated support for recent changes in Woof-CE.
- Updated Help dialog.
- Added support for additional applications.

radky

#87 Post by radky »

PupControl-2.7. See main post.
- Added new JWM configuration module (JWMDesk) for management of both legacy and modern versions of JWM (with support for the new XML configuration standards of JWM >=2.3.2).
- Added support for jwm_config desktop environment
- Updated desksetup module
- Updated screensaver module
- Updated firewall-status option (support firewall_ng)

Pelo

PupControl 2.2.1 Dpup Exprimo remasterization kernel 3.4.

#88 Post by Pelo »

PupControl 2.2.1 Dpup Exprimo remasterization kernel 3.4.82 . Version 2.7 ok
Ah sorry. I read now the topic once new version 2.7 installed. It was said to remove previous one. Sorry. :!:
Problem with resize are not due to PupControl, after checking the forum topics.
Attachments
PupControl.jpg
Resizepfile has some problems.
(57.55 KiB) Downloaded 455 times

radky

PupControl-2.8

#89 Post by radky »

PupControl-2.8. See first post.
- Adjust compatibility with recent changes in Woof-CE
- Update JWM configuration manager
- Update desksetup.sh

radky

#90 Post by radky »

PupControl-3.0. See first post.
- New user interface (vertical tabs)
- Adjust tabbed categories and content for improved accessibility
- Utility tray is now optional (enable/disable in Preferences)
- Add support for suspend to RAM in modern Pups (/etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh) and continue support for acpitool-mediated suspend in older Pups
- Add support for the new YASSM executable names and continue support for the old nomenclature.
- Add support for Samba Simple management (samba.sh)
- Add support for gadmin-samba (part of the GAdmin Tools administration toolkit)
- Add support for bluepup (bluetooth manager)
- Add support for peasydiff (file difference viewer)
- Add support for puppyapps (new Woof-CE applications chooser)
- Add support for get_java (download and install java runtime environment)
Last edited by radky on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#91 Post by bigpup »

PupControl-3.0 running in Xenialpup 7.0.1.

Nice improvements.
Seems to be working OK.

Thanks for this program and keeping it updated!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

radky wrote:- Add support for the new YASSM (Samba Manager) executable names and continue support for the old nomenclature.
Just to be clear, YASSM is a Samba CLIENT tool. It detects and mounts remote Samba shares. The word Manager is usually applied to Samba SERVER tools.

radky

#93 Post by radky »

bigpup wrote:Thanks for this program and keeping it updated!!!
Although PupControl is approaching middle age (in dog years) it supports both old and new Pups, including Xenialpup. :)
rcrsn51 wrote:Just to be clear, YASSM is a Samba CLIENT tool. It detects and mounts remote Samba shares. The word Manager is usually applied to Samba SERVER tools.
Thanks for the clarification rcrsn51, and thanks for your Puppy utilities.

Robert123

#94 Post by Robert123 »

Thanks Radky,

Working on Lucid 5.11.

rerwin

#95 Post by rerwin »

radky,
I am of the impression that you are maintaining PupControl for older pups such as Lucid pup. Is that correct? If so, I am reporting what I see in xerrs.log when I install it in lupu and sulu2:

Code: Select all

/pinstall.sh: line 32: [-d: command not found
grep: /usr/share/applications /usr/local/share/applications/abiword.desktop: No such file or directory
grep: /usr/share/applications /usr/local/share/applications/ALSA-sound-Wizard.desktop: No such file or directory
 . . .  [208 lines]
grep: /usr/share/applications /usr/local/share/applications/yassm-search.desktop: No such file or directory
grep: /usr/share/applications /usr/local/share/applications/yassm-select.desktop: No such file or directory
I don't see in the code where the /usr/local/share/applications directory is referenced. Only the "/pinstall.sh: line 32: [-d: command not found" line might cause a problem. But the others flood the log.

Do I need to fix line 32 of the pinstall script? Or does it fail in a way that has no impact? The "flooding" will not affect Lucid Pup users because they will not need to install PupControl themselves.
Richard

radky

#96 Post by radky »

rerwin,

I'll prepare a general update and upload in a few hours.

The update will support both old and new Pups, including fixes for the pinstall issues you noted in lupu/sulu.

Thanks

sheldonisaac

problem? with xerrs.log?

#97 Post by sheldonisaac »

Booted four Puppy Linuxes with pfix=ram

Here are the initial sizes of /tmp/xerrs.log, and after installing pupcontrol 3.0

Slim Slacko 6: 2787 bytes, 3419
SuLu2-2016: 2716, 26K
Slacko 6.9.6.4 2098 (it's in /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/ and grows each time I ls it)
Tahr 6.05 3514, 4224

radky

#98 Post by radky »

@sheldonisaac,

Most applications, including PupControl, will add content to xerrs.log over time, so the log will grow larger even when all is well in Puppy. The added content often represents simple messages about the status of a given application, with no true error state.

In the case of PupControl, rerwin noted additional content in xerrs.log when running the pinstall script. The excess messaging was secondary to the initial search for .desktop files in the /usrs/local/share/applications directory. This is now fixed (quiet) in PupControl-3.1.

Thanks

radky

#99 Post by radky »

PupControl-3.1
- Add support for the new binary-detection heuristics of grep >= 2.21
- Add support for the new Woof-CE nomenclature of rox file manager (roxfiler)
- Update JWM desk manager
- Bugfix: pinstall script (thanks rerwin)
- Bugfix: peasydiff spelling error in utility tab

musher0

#100 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, radky!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)