Grive Rox App

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
01micko

Grive Rox App

#1 Post by 01micko »

This is a rox app that connects and syncs with Google Drive.

NOTE: If you have lots of files on Google Drive you will fill up your pupsave!!! (TODO: allow linking outside pupsave for frugals, Done!)

It is based on Grive

I have packaged everything separately.

EDIT
Updated to 0.2, fixes menu bug 120723
Updated to 0.3 adds depend check, pics in html help file 120724
Updated to 0.4 pinstall cleanup if you had previous failures with this app (missing deps etc)
Updated to 0.5, pop up ROX at $HOME so you can see the new My-Grive icon in your home directory
Updated to 0.6 link to /mnt/home with more descriptive name of folder 120727

grive_roxapp-0.6.pet 40K, the main Puppy app, which is a rox app, with gtkdialog, (gtkdialog4 linked to gtkdialog is needed, most pups are built that way these days)

grive-120721-git-i486.pet 287K, straight from git, see the link atop the page for more info.

REQUIRED DEPS to grive
json-c-0.9-i486.pet 13K, again from git
libboost_filesystem-1.50.pet 44K from the latest boost C++ sources
libboost_program_options-1.50.pet 159K ^ditto^
libbfd-2.21.51.0.620110118-i486.pet 349K NOTE: In Slacko this lib resides on the devx. Please find the correct lib for your Puppy version if not using Slacko or ask your distro maintainer to compile grive and dependencies

Sundries (dev, doc)
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... t-i486.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... 9-i486.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... V-1.50.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... V-1.50.pet

Screeny...

All binaries are compiled in Slacko, YMMV in other puppies. You definitely need to be using rox filer.

Install main packages and all dependencies and follow the instructions. There is a help page in /usr/share/doc

Have fun!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For devs and puplet/distro maintainers

grive git repository <-- https://github.com/Grive/grive
json-c git repository <-- https://github.com/json-c/json-c
boost libraries <-- http://www.boost.org/

First compile the deps of course! json-c is a no brainer. For the boost libs you need the latest 1.50 version. I just copied the "boost" headers directory straight to /usr/include, the grive cmake found them fine. Boost is a curious animal, you need to use the builtin tools to compile stuff, you only need to compile the two shared libs libboost_filesystem and libboost_program_options. RTFM!!! (it's not difficult at all when you do :wink: ) Then you can cmake and make grive. The whole process only takes half to three quarters of an hour, depending on net speed (and I live in Australia.. ahem.. not fast here!)

Again.. have fun!
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 27 Jul 2012, 03:03, edited 5 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

After some teething problems I have updated grive_roxapp to version 0.3. Be sure to get all dependencies and be aware that this may only work in Slacko.

See above
Attachments
capture558.png
(19.78 KiB) Downloaded 3847 times
capture1427.png
(29.07 KiB) Downloaded 4196 times

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

Updated to 0.4

See main post

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

Updated to 0.5

See main post

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Updated to 0.6

See main post

simes

#6 Post by simes »

Hi 01micko,
I can't quite believe that I'm the first person to append to this discussion. There must be discussion somewhere else, but I can't find it. Apologies, if necessary, for replying here.

So - I was very pleased to find this PET. Have installed it, on Slacko 5.3.3, with all dependencies. Everything worked as expected until I launched the app for the first time by opening the My-Grive folder. This causes the Grive log file to pop up with the message (after the version and time info) "Please run grive with the "-a" option if this is the first time you're accessing your Google Drive!". Click OK, the logfile window closes, but no synchronisation or downloading happens.

It IS the first time I'm accessing my Google Drive from this PC (not the first time of all, though). But I cannot find how to pass it the -a option. Any help welcome, thanks!

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

simes wrote:Hi 01micko,
I can't quite believe that I'm the first person to append to this discussion. There must be discussion somewhere else, but I can't find it. Apologies, if necessary, for replying here.
Nope, this is it, I have basically been talking to myself!
simes wrote:So - I was very pleased to find this PET. Have installed it, on Slacko 5.3.3, with all dependencies. Everything worked as expected until I launched the app for the first time by opening the My-Grive folder. This causes the Grive log file to pop up with the message (after the version and time info) "Please run grive with the "-a" option if this is the first time you're accessing your Google Drive!". Click OK, the logfile window closes, but no synchronisation or downloading happens.

It IS the first time I'm accessing my Google Drive from this PC (not the first time of all, though). But I cannot find how to pass it the -a option. Any help welcome, thanks!
Go to the help, it should open and follow the instructions. If you find they are not clear enough let me know but so far what you describe is ok, just need to carry it a little further.

I will try some improvements to this app soon. Unfortunately the developers seem to have stalled on the grive project. We'll see in time I guess.

simes

#8 Post by simes »

Hi micko,
It seems to be just you and me then! Hard to believe, given how popular Google Drive is likely to be.

Anyway - I have read and followed the help text as you say. It is a repeat of the 'HowTo' installation notes. I followed those step by step and all was OK. But on first use I see the message I mentioned which asks me to initiate the app with the -a option. I think the installation has succeeded, everything else appears to be in place, but I cannot initiate the first sync. I guess the answer will be to do this via command line and then open the folder for subsequent auto-initiated syncs. Can you suggest what the command should be? The command "grive -a" didn't do it (it started off down the 'supply authentication code' route again). Thank you.

01micko

#9 Post by 01micko »

Hello simes, sorry for my lateness but I am basically pulling support for this app due to:
  • lack of interest
  • lack of developer .. seems to have become abandoned :( (grive). There is an alternative with Insync
I'll wait until Google releases their linux tool (of course which they already have, chrome-os and android both have "drive" support).. just depends when and if , probably some ridiculous political decision involving Ubuntu I guess. Maybe I'll make an Ubuntu One client for Puppy in the mean time :lol:

(BTW, it still works, just tested and will be using in Slacko-5.4)

Cheers

simes

#10 Post by simes »

Hi 01micko,
Thanks for the reply and the pointer to Insync, which I hadn't come across. I'll give that a go and post here again. I have coped in the meantime by booting Windows whenever I needed to sync with Google Drive but what a nuisance. Like you, no doubt, I am trying to eliminate the last few reasons for ever needing to boot Windows. I'm down to a few obscure device support issues now, plus this. Thanks again for your interest.

Incidentally, which software did you mean when you said "still works and will be in Slacko 5.4" ?

01micko

#11 Post by 01micko »

simes wrote:Incidentally, which software did you mean when you said "still works and will be in Slacko 5.4" ?
The grive-roxapp (with all listed depends)... and I mean't I'll be using personally in my 5.4 installation :) . However I can't recommend or support it publicly. If you still want to pursue using it PM me. It is still a usable alternative for 5.3x and 5.4x slacko versions.

mcewanw

#12 Post by mcewanw »

I'm still using slacko 533 on my old Pentium M machine, since that seems to give me optimum resource usage. Your Grive Rox App continues to work fine for me here. I find it very handy, thanks.
github mcewanw

rufwoof

#13 Post by rufwoof »

.... another year later .... and its still installing and working fine (under Slacko 5.3.3t (thin)).

slavvo67

#14 Post by slavvo67 »

I was using Grive until a friend advised it's a 3rd party app not made by Google. This opens the door to security issues so I decided to stop using it. If I recall correctly, it was pretty large to install, too.

Best,

Slavvo

comcoco

Google Drive on Slacko

#15 Post by comcoco »

8/3/15

Does this still work? Google Drive stopped working on Linux a few months ago. It still works on Precision Puppy which I use on my laptop, but I can not get Precision Puppy to work on other computers which I operate with Puppy Linux. I can run Puppy Slacko 5.3.3 on them. What is the latest status of running Google Drive on Puppy Slacko 5.3.3?