DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#181 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:
fredx181 wrote: *stuff deleted*

Does a DebianDog that's using a save file during a session, normally auto-save during the session?
Yes, but only if you setup correctly "changes=EXIT:/<path>/changes.dat" you can do from terminal:

Code: Select all

save2flash
That will save in the middle of a session.

*more stuff deleted*

Fred
Will this work with Porteus style boot with changes kept in a folder configured to save only on exit.
Yes, it's the same.

Fred

dancytron

#182 Post by dancytron »

Thanks. Just tested it and it worked great for me. I'd document this up front (if you haven't already and I just missed it).

Keep up the good work.

Dan

Billtoo

DebianDog - beta version.

#183 Post by Billtoo »

Running on an emachines D620 laptop:
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Memory 1813MB (152MB used)
Operating System Debian GNU/Linux 7.2
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu May 8 19:27:45 2014
Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.12.4
OpenGL
Vendor X.Org R300 Project
Renderer Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690
Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5
Direct Rendering Yes

I installed several applications with synaptic and apt-get including
iceweasel,xbmc,kpat,kshisen,kmahjongg,lxterminal,midnight commander,and more.
It's working well so far but I have lots more to learn about using Debian
Dog.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(52.42 KiB) Downloaded 738 times

saintless

#184 Post by saintless »

Hi, Billtoo.

Unfortunately running different linux version is like learning linux again even for experienced users. Debian behaviour is different from Puppy. Special DebianDog programs information here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93391
Everything else is as running Debian Wheezy. You can easy upgrade to testing or unstable or use it as standard Debian Wheezy full install.

DebianDog is a base to make it larger or smaller. Removing packages with all dependencies from the system before remaster is as easy as adding packages. In fact you can reverse DebianDog to basic command prompt system with working apt-get but without Xorg, WM and any GUI programs very easy and start building from this point what ever you wish. Maybe I will explain how to do this in HowTo thread later.

Toni

mcewanw

#185 Post by mcewanw »

The way you have assembled the install information and howtos in just a thread or two, but near the top of each, is really great Toni. We have the advantage of this being a new creation. Puppy has been around so long that information is all over the place so although it eventually becomes very familiar it can take a long time to master it all. I find it doesn't take long at all to become relatively comfortable with Debian, though mastery is another matter of course.

You clearly learned a lot working with FoxyRoxy. This page is very informative from there:

http://foxyroxylinux.com/viewforum.php? ... cffa3af3a6

Particularly:
dpkg = the unsung hero while apt-get receives all the glory
github mcewanw

saintless

#186 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:You clearly learned a lot working with FoxyRoxy. This page is very informative from there:

http://foxyroxylinux.com/viewforum.php? ... cffa3af3a6
Yes, I learned a lot from JBV and FoxyRoxyLinux project. Many DebianDog scripts are ideas included as cli scripts in FoxyRoxyLinux from JBV. Zero-sizing man/doc/info files is JBV's idea for example as also all dpkg-update stuff included in separate kernel modules for DebianDog.

Toni

Sylvander

#187 Post by Sylvander »

@saintless
1. Working my way back through the thread, post-by-post looking for things I aught to do [to complete the following of all instructions].

2. See THIS POST by you.
I've completed nearly all of this, so as to get to the point where I have an XFE window displaying the content of the changes.dat save file.

3. "it is recommended to delete the content of save file which is not in use running DebianDog with No-Save boot option
Er...
Right now I'm running in DebianDog having used the boot option to make use of the changes.dat file in the /mnt/live/mnt/sda5/05-DebianDog folder.
So what should I do now?
I'm guessing I should:
a. Reboot with the new [config+file] changes saved.
b. Boot with the "no save file" option chosen.
c. Again follow your instructions so as to be able to delete ALL of the content of the save file. [all of the previously made/saved changes will then be gone]
d. Reboot, and boot in using the save file this time.
e. Repeat the following of your instructions.
This time the changes made will be going into [added to] a save file that is empty.
f. At shutdown/reboot those new changes will be the only content of the save file, yes? Can you confirm?

4. Now back here in "no save file" mode.
a. Deleted ALL content in /media/+media+sda5+05-DebianDog+changes.dat
Will now reboot into "use save file" mode.

b. Back in "save file" mode. [I hope; beginning to lose track]
Hmm, having repeated your instructions there is lots of content displayed in the /media/+mnt+live+mnt+sda5+05-DebianDog+changes.dat file.
I will leave as-is and wait for your further instructions.

c. Will reboot into "save file" mode to see if the changes are present [permanent].

5. Back yet again in "save file" mode.
a. "XFE->cnahges.dat->Properties->File Assiciations-> In Open (white field) type there mnt-img->click Accept button"
This change hasn't been saved! i.e. It isn't permanent. Not persisting to every "save file" session.
Should it be permanent?
Ah, having rebooted a couple of times in "save file" mode, and made the change, it is now permanent [see 5c below].

b. I'll move an icon [its location on the desktop] and see if it is still in that location when I come back in using "save file".
Back in, and the icon is still located where it was placed, so that's OK. :D

c. Checked "XFE->cnahges.dat->Properties->File Assiciations-> In Open (white field)", and "mnt-img" is there [permanent], so that's OK.

I notice:
a. When booting into "save file" mode, it's reported that the save file wasn't dismounted cleanly at previous shutdown.

b. The firewall [Firehol] is disable in "etc/default/firehol".
I've just now edited the content of that file so it now looks thus:

#To enable firehol at startup set START_FIREHOL=YES
START_FIREHOL=YES
#If you want to have firehol wait for an iface to be up add it here
WAIT_FOR_IFACE=""
i.e. I changed START_FIREHOL=NO to START_FIREHOL=YES.

saintless

#188 Post by saintless »

Hi, Sylvander.
Sylvander wrote:2. See THIS POST by you.
You really can make something simple to be very complicated :)
My post is a reply to your question how to delete files from save file.
Fred gave you the command line option how to mount from terminal and delete files from it. Or to use new created empty save file.http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 173#776173
I gave you single click mount option for changes.dat to delete or add files inside without need to type commands in terminal. Nothing more and I have no further instructions on this. Use new mnt-img or don't use it. Attached mnt-img was edited special for you as answer to:
I've never deleted the contents of a savefile before!
To give you option to do it easy. I do not ask why you need to delete files from changes.dat I just gave you easy way to do it.

About firewall I will write again - I can't give you good advice how to configure firehol. The configuration file is /etc/firehol/firehol.cfg but I can't tell what is the proper configuration.

Toni

Sylvander

#189 Post by Sylvander »

1. "You really can make something simple to be very complicated"
Ouch!
a. I prefer to do it visually by left-clicking on /mnt/live/mnt/sda5/05-DebianDog/changes.dat within Xfe, because I can get my mind around what is going on, SEE which file I'm opening, and SEE the folder/file contents of that save file.
I might then explore, and get to know and understand the layout/structure of the folder/file contents.
If I then used Xfe to delete some [or all] of the contents of the save file [the save file must NOT be in use at that moment] I could SEE it happening.
I find this easy to do once I get my mind around what is going on, and I think I'm at that point now.
I was taught MANY years ago that people in general learn/understand MUCH MORE of what they SEE rather than from words/text [an image is worth a thousand words].
I rate "understanding" very highly ["with all thy getting get understanding"].
I generally don't forget the principles of those things I come to understand, even if I forget the detail.

b. Although I can copy&paste commands into a terminal, and I'm happy to do that...
At this present time, I'm not comfortable with using commands to get stuff done.
I wouldn't be certain of what was going on, and would be unable to know whether such things were happening as they aught.
I'd be crossing my fingers and hoping, and that's not a way I like to work.
Like they say:
"crossing your fingers is the worst form of family planning".

Billtoo

#190 Post by Billtoo »

Sylvander wrote:/changes.dat within Xfe, because I can get my mind around what is going on, SEE which file I'm opening, and SEE the folder/file contents of that save file.
I might then explore, and get to know and understand the layout/structure of the folder/file contents.
If I then used Xfe to delete some [or all] of the contents of the save file [the save file must NOT be in use at that moment] I could SEE it happening.
I find this easy to do once I get my mind around what is going on, and I think I'm at that point now.
Here's my changes.dat in xfe, I don't want to delete anything but would like to make it larger than 2gb, it's getting close to full with only 200mb of space left.
Attachments
changes.jpg
(49.34 KiB) Downloaded 577 times

saintless

#191 Post by saintless »

Hi, Billtoo.

First try:

apt-get clean
This will remove all downloaded deb packages from /var/cache/apt/archives. You do not need these packages after installing them. This will give you more free space.
Here is testing version of GUI script for resizing save file (not ready for public use yet but it works):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 613#775613
Boot with no-save option (always fresh for example) and use it only for changes.dat that is not mounted. The man page of resize2fs command says it can also enlarge save file that is mounted (in use) but it is not tested proper yet.

Or use this from command line after boot with no-save file boot code:
Check for errors, resize for example from 2Gb to 3Gb and check for errors again:

e2fsck /path-to/changes.dat
resize2fs -f /path-to/changes.dat 3000M
e2fsck /path-to/changes.dat
Toni

Billtoo

#192 Post by Billtoo »

Doing apt-get clean got 400mb of space back, I'll leave it at that for now.
Thanks

fredx181

#193 Post by fredx181 »

Sylvander wrote:1. "You really can make something simple to be very complicated"
Ouch!
I agree with Toni:
You put a lot of efford in writing your posts as clear/detailed as possible, but IMHO it's overdone.
It's the opposite of someone only just saying: "Doesn't work, what should I do?"
Keep it simple, your posts look like a complicated Howto.
I also think: correct me if I'm wrong, that you have already experience using puppy and all things how to use a savefile.
It's very similar on DebianDog, specially when using the porteus-boot way.

Fred

saintless

#194 Post by saintless »

Resize Save File GUI utility here. Will be included in the next version.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 350#776350

mcewanw

#195 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:
Sylvander wrote:1. "You really can make something simple to be very complicated"
Ouch!
I agree with Toni:
You put a lot of efford in writing your posts as clear/detailed as possible, but IMHO it's overdone.
It's the opposite of someone only just saying: "Doesn't work, what should I do?"
Keep it simple, your posts look like a complicated Howto.
Yes, I was feeling the same. I had never used Debian-based systems before but have been using Puppy for years and I found Toni's explanations very simple and clear. Please keep help requests simple. If trying to do complex things above simple remastering it's probably best to just use basic DebianDog install for a while until comfortable with that and basic Debian way of doing things.
github mcewanw

Sylvander

#196 Post by Sylvander »

1. My DebianDog CD-RW, burned using "DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta_custom,01-remaster,squashfs.iso", is working well.
Typing this from it.

2. Decided to use "ISO Master" to edit live.cfg in the ISO to include changes=EXIT:/05-DebianDog/changes.dat
Did this by swapping in the copy I have kept and edit as needed.
Here's the total content of the new live.cfg on the ISO:

#This will search for /changes.dat file at root of every HDD or USB drive partition.
label Porteus RAM Save /
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/changes.dat

#This will search for save file changes.dat inside directory /05-DebianDog at root of every HDD and USB drive partition.
label Porteus RAM Save /05-DebianDog/changes.dat
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ noauto copy2ram  changes=EXIT:/05-DebianDog/changes.dat

#This will boot in RAM without searching for save file anywhere. If there is save file it will not be used.
label Porteus RAM No-Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram
3. Named the new ISO = DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta_custom,01-remaster,squashfs-1.iso
Used this to make yet another CD-RW and booted that using the "Porteus RAM save" menu option.

a. Got the following warning/halt during boot:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Changing root directory
initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ noauto copy2ram changes=EXIT:/05-DebianDog/changes.dat BOOT_IMAGE=/live/vmlinuz1
Live system is ready now - starting Debian
cp: can't stat "/union/sbin/init" : No such file or directory
!!ERROR!!
Something went wrong and I cannot continue
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.
"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fredx181

#197 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sylvander,
I had a close look at your boot codes to see if there's anything wrong but it's all OK.
You only edited live.cfg? No other changes made in the iso?.
Looks like you booted the second entry, how about the first or third do they work?
The only difference I see is that "from=/" is first parameter in contrast to the others.
Maybe try change it to:

append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=EXIT:/05-DebianDog/changes.dat 
But I doubt this will help.
No need to make new iso for it, just press [Tab] just after the boot screen appears and you can edit it.

Fred

Sylvander

#198 Post by Sylvander »

fredx181 wrote:Maybe try change it to:

append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=EXIT:/05-DebianDog/changes.dat 
But I doubt this will help.
No need to make new iso for it, just press [Tab] just after the boot screen appears and you can edit it.
a. Did this.
Selected "Porteus RAM save", and hit [Tab].
It was tricky editing the line of code, because each time I hit the backstep key it made a copied line of code with 1 character [on the end] missing.
However, I got there eventually.
Looked like it was going to work, proceeded to load DebianDog, but ended up at the same halt/error [having displayed the newly typed code some lines before, so it got through OK]. :(

fredx181

#199 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sylvander,
but ended up at the same halt/error
That's a pity.
I ask again, please answer:
You only edited live.cfg? No other changes made in the iso?.
Looks like you booted the second entry, how about the first or third do they work?

Fred

Sylvander

#200 Post by Sylvander »

1. "You only edited live.cfg? No other changes made in the iso?"
Correct. :D

2. "Looks like you booted the second entry"
Correct. :D
I assume you refer to the 2nd CD-RW made using DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta_custom,01-remaster,squashfs-1.iso

3. "how about the first or third do they work?"
Assuming you refer to the 2nd CD-RW made using DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta_custom,01-remaster,squashfs-1.iso :
I haven't tried these yet; will do that now; what I did was to test the 1st CD-RW made using DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta_custom,01-remaster,squashfs.iso, and first [, 2nd] & third boot options worked with this disk.
p.s. I copied changes.dat from /mnt/home/05-DebianDog to /mnt/home [home being sda5], so that the first option would work.

4. OK...
Tested the 2nd disk, and all 3 boot options halt/fail with the error.
Looks like I messed up that ISO->CD-RW.
Don't understand how I could have done that.
Do you think it a good idea to have a 2nd go at it, to try to get it right?