Puppy Lighthouse Intel Proprietary Driver

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
David Andrew

Puppy Lighthouse Intel Proprietary Driver

#1 Post by David Andrew »

Hello, Im using Puppy Lighthouse on an Acer Aspire 5738Z.

I have an Intel graphics card, but the default Mesa driver is giving a lot of problems with OpenGl games, including both Wine and native ones. Here are 2 screenshots from my Hardinfos display diagnostic:

The google results suggest I'll need the proprietary intel driver to resolve my (various) opengl problems. How do I achieve this with Puppy Lighthouse? I found no proprietary drivers in the package manager.

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Assuming your are using LightHouse64 v602b, please open Menu>Setup>Personalized Settings and post that picture here. In it, it shows the current driver used by your LH64.

If it does NOT show Intel, you might want to drop out of X to a prompt (ctrl-alt-bksp) and note the 2 commands the prompt messages shows. xorwizard and xorgwizard-...

Try each to see it if will get up to where you need to be.

I DONT have Intel video. Other users may be able to offer better advice.

Hope this helps

David Andrew

#3 Post by David Andrew »

gcmartin wrote:Assuming your are using LightHouse64 v602b, please open Menu>Setup>Personalized Settings and post that picture here. In it, it shows the current driver used by your LH64.

If it does NOT show Intel, you might want to drop out of X to a prompt (ctrl-alt-bksp) and note the 2 commands the prompt messages shows. xorwizard and xorgwizard-...

Try each to see it if will get up to where you need to be.

I DONT have Intel video. Other users may be able to offer better advice.

Hope this helps
Menu>Setup>Personalized Settings reads simply as "Intel".

I'm beginning to suspect the issue is only caused by 32-bit programs. In Playonlinux I get an error that reads:

"unable to find 32-bits OpenGL libraries. You may encounter problems with your games".

The 64-bit POL diagnostics on the other hand don't report any problems.

Native 32-bit OpenGl programs seem to run, but the graphics keep behaving eratically.

I've already got the 32-bit Slacko SFS libraries installed.

Already tried to install the 32-bit Mesa version of the same driver, but that was a disaster. (Got my save file backed up though)