QEMU Launcher + 32 bit QEMU pet and sfs

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
gcmartin

#21 Post by gcmartin »

Further along in the GUI, V021. But, here's current results:

Code: Select all

bash-4.1# echo "download and extract to root user app folder. Check system path"
download and extract to root user app folder. Check system path
bash-4.1# which qemu_gui
/root/my-applications/bin/qemu_gui
bash-4.1# qemu_gui 
sh: 1075200
	above repeated 16 times
1075200 - 26624 : syntax error in expression (error token is "1075200
	above repeated 16 times
1075200 - 26624 ")
killall: qemu: no process killed
BOOTDEV="false"
BOOTDEV2="true"
CDROM="/mnt/Downloads/Puppy/01Micko/Slacko/32bit/V57/slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso"
FILE_BROWSE_SAVEFILENAME=""
FILE_BROWSE_SAVEFILENAME2=""
FILE_BROWSE_SAVEFILENAME3=""
IMAGE="/media/NAS/LinuxBoots/vHDDs/Storage1.disk"
IMAGE2=""
KVM="true"
MEM="768"
NORMAL="true"
SIZE=""
VNC="false"
EXIT="EXIT-QUIT"
<root> ~
bash-4.1# echo "GUI does not start the virtual Guest."
GUI does not start the virtual Guest.
GUI pic below
Attachments
Wont run this.png
(90.11 KiB) Downloaded 575 times

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

Ok for some reason after successful testing I decided that $(( MEM * 1024 )) needed a $ on the MEM... mental lapse there...

reuploaded.

mike

gcmartin

#23 Post by gcmartin »

Here's current results:

bash-4.1# ls -l /root/my-applications/bin/qemu_gui
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4505 May 10 15:08 /root/my-applications/bin/qemu_gui
<root> ~
bash-4.1# ls -l /root/my-applications/bin/qemu_gui
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4504 May 11 10:41 /root/my-applications/bin/qemu_gui
<root> ~
bash-4.1# which qemu_gui
<root> ~
bash-4.1# qemu_gui
sh: 1075200
     o
     o
     o
Same report as before. Same outcome: "Not lauching VM guest."
Attachments
Unpack Launcher.png
Filedate
(47.88 KiB) Downloaded 547 times

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

Hmm curious...
I can boot with my qemu no problem now and shmfs is set to the correct value.

the sh: 1075200
suggests bash is not interpreting correctly .... is there something about the handling of such as

MEM=128
[ "`mount | grep shmfs`" == "" ]&& mount -t tmpfs -o size=154m shmfs /dev/shm
OR

[ $(( MEM * 1024 )) -gt $(( `df | grep shmfs | awk '{ print $2}'` - 26624 )) ]&& mount -t tmpfs -o remount,size="$(( MEM + 26 ))m" shmfs /dev/shm
I need to know about...more specifically $(( {numeric evaluation } )) ? I have bash 3.1 for testing yours is 4.1
Otherwise what is the output of mount and df when there is shm enabled?

mike

gcmartin

#25 Post by gcmartin »

OK, up until now, I had done all of my testing on a LH64-602 desktop with the results shown in this thread.

I booted my FATDOG630 on my laptop, and am including the results below. Note: This shows use of a smaller ISO and ALSO no other changes in the default selections you present in the GUI window. The ISO was booted in the VM Guest. This code AND the picture below shows those results:

# echo $SHELL
/bin/sh
# which qemu_gui
# echo "ROX copy qemu_gui to this system"
# which qemu_gui
# ls -l /root/my-applications/bin/qemu_gui
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4504 May 11 10:41 /root/my-applications/bin/qemu_gui
# qemu_gui
BOOTDEV="true"
BOOTDEV2="false"
CDROM="/mnt/mynas/Downloads/Puppy/Rufwoof/s533t.iso"
FILE_BROWSE_SAVEFILENAME=""
FILE_BROWSE_SAVEFILENAME2=""
FILE_BROWSE_SAVEFILENAME3=""
IMAGE=""
IMAGE2=""
KVM="true"
MEM="128"
NORMAL="true"
SIZE=""
VNC="false"
EXIT="EXIT-QUIT"
# mount
	o
	o
	o
	o
shmfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=157696k)
# df
Filesystem               1K-blocks       Used Available Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                   1740636          4   1740632   1% /dev
tmpfs                      1895152       3604   1891548   1% /aufs/pup_init
	o
	o
	o
tmpfs                       157696          0    157696   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                      1895152        368   1894784   1% /tmp
	o
	o
shmfs                       157696          0    157696   0% /dev/shm
# bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.2.20(2)-release (x86_64-t2-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
#
Also note the "SHELL" and the bash version.
Attachments
ONLY add ISO-boots_BUT_slow128MB.png
terminal calls GUI. Add ISO and click RUN to get VM Guest
(122.7 KiB) Downloaded 461 times

gcmartin

#26 Post by gcmartin »

Future idea
If possible, it would be potentially useful if the qemu execution command/command-attempts could be posted when run from the terminal.

Current problem status
  • The GUI is successful in FATDOG with changes appropriately made for VM guest resources.
  • Looks like the problem is local to the LH64 distro that I am running
Here to help
Attachments
ONLY add ISO-boots_withGUIchanges.png
Change RAM and boot device
(99.92 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

mikeb

#27 Post by mikeb »

Hmm ok so I am not going mad....

LH64 not handling the script in the expected way.

Ok well since i do have that on one machine for testing I can compare results even if I cannot get qemu itself running.

Since its working on fatdog I will make into a fresh pet now and add the echo of the command line for you

Did it appear that kvm itself was working?... I would assume as such since no error messes were generated.

mike

edit ..pet updated to 0.2.1

Ted Dog

#28 Post by Ted Dog »

you not going mad? looks like you are juggling multiple threads this morning you and JB are cross posting all over the place... 8)

Ted Dog

#29 Post by Ted Dog »

Since the three guys with the most skills are here let me post a neat seg way to implement something cool..while reading up on QEMU I learned it can live migrate with nsf file system between two machines of different hardware. I wanted my little Mele to be a file server since it draws the least amount of watts and has sata drive support built in to hardware. So any takers in playing with this idea?
I lack the required skills to set this up but JB gcmartin and yourself know how each of the parts.

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

You mean NFS ?

If so yes it works...just needs the 'insecure' parameter adding to exports plus you connect to iirc 10.0.2.15 not 10.0.2.2 or vice versa ie not the obvious one but its been a while....
Not tried this over a LAN but in theory should work ..qemu becomes part of the host machine in network terms.

mike

Ted Dog

#31 Post by Ted Dog »

dang mild dyslexia pops up again. My drivers ed teacher in high school grabbed my hands and rote left and right on the back of my hands so I would recall under pressure which was which... Suprised my nickname was not "YOUR OTHER LEFT". :lol:

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

That's ko I standerund....

by the way house hunting too as well as multiple topics :D

spell chequers are for whiches

mike

Ted Dog

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

house hunting.. How about building your own house... The preplaning is a nightmare you have nobody but yourself to blame if it becomes a poorly functional house. But I do plan to get around that by having roof supported of outside columns so major redos are not worried if that is a load baring wall no wall will be!
Also think major home divisions sould be non permanent if the hall is to small move the wall etc.

mikeb

#34 Post by mikeb »

House building...check out UK land prices...not an option.

Ok back to topic.

Booted LHP 64 ...... version 6.0.2

Added dummy qemu so gui ran...not getting that error message with the number , shmfs handled and resized correctly.
Did find a problem with the modprobe of kvm...it wanted a space before the comment # ...not sure if thats related as it did not produce any error just failed to load kvm.ko....fine once altered.

In other words its behaving exactly the same as in my olde pup and the command line looks healthy.
Not sure what to suggest as could not reproduce the problem. I will amend the kvm modprobe line.

Ok next bit is whinge time.

I did try to use the (90% oversized) qemu 2.0.0 sfs since kvm was loaded and all seemed ok...
After going through the confusing LHP 64 rox and context menu (those icons are awful) i selected the even more confusing sfs loader ... it seemed to load but qemu was not inserted.... retrying said already loaded and unloading is not an option (!!!!!!!!!)

I am posting on it using firefox which keeps annoying me with update popups and has awful tiny crappy fonts still after years of solutions being around this forum

If this is the standard of recent pups then I am sure its fine for the devs but from a users point of view there is NOTHING friendly about it.

And really does a system have to guzzle 10% cpu on a dual core doing nothing?

Windows 7 works better in several respects on the same machine.

winge over :D

yours slightly peeved and confused

mike

Ted Dog

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

UK you say... funny the building material is based on a UK lime rich cement that has the same ratios as the pre Mayan limecrete I am going to use. But here its wall material and over across the pond its used for flooring. Was thinking about a trip to Lincoln UK where it is common to see it as a floor. No too many examples of a good floors here.

mikeb

#36 Post by mikeb »

Hmm lots of chalk in the uk...might be a reason.

I did assist with some straw bale construction when in France ... interesting technique for a fast build.

winge part 2.... why are only ugly or REALLY ugly GTK themes offered in pup land? Not like there is not a huge choice of really appealing ones...beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but those glass buttons look really cheapo...

On windows 7 now and my eyes are happy ....

mike

gcmartin

QEMU Works!!! matching the Guide w/FD/LH64 usage

#37 Post by gcmartin »

Update on QEMU Launcher
I finally took down one of my LH64 machine which has been running for months. I rebooted pristine (this is boot-time option 2 "Lighthouse without a save file"). I am happy to report, that I am now getting the same results that I got in the FATDOG report I provided earlier. So, my problem in my LH64 with save-session is probably something added after initial Mariner boot.

Thanks @MikeB. This is a real gem. As it makes easy, straight-forward, and simple, booting a Guest on the 64bit systems, tested. And, it also works for those 32bit users as well.

On your Lighthouse64 issues, let me share how I have used and tested in the past with ANY 64bit SFSs. LH64 does something I have NOT seen in other PUPs. It will load ANY SFSs that it has available on the Live disc at boot-time...under your selection control, of course.

So, before booting, I have opened ISO master, added the SFSs and saved which creates a new ISO with the SFSs enclosed. Creating media/booting that ISO, I choose which I want included in the running desktop and at desktop arrival ALL selections are included.

This is a feature to ease understanding and inclusion of SFSs that LH64 employs.

There are also all of the "classic" SFS processing available as well, but, I have not used them in years in LH64.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I can see your views on the LH64 desktop, but, over the years, I have continue to use it.

There are some other nifty things in that desktop that you will discover as you proceed, lifting the hood, so to speak.

Thanks for your assistance in guiding me thru this to solution.

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

Yes well I retained the load sfs automatically...its how it was when I first used puppy and was a 'no brainer'

sfs load was a,confusing and b, failed to do the job which was frustrating.

Ok cannot get access to update the pet at the moment but the fixed line in question is
[ ! "`lsmod | grep kvm`" ]&& modprobe kvm 2>/dev/null # major=250

I moved the # !! ... that should mean kvm loads and emulation can run at full speeds.

If all seems happy we could look at such as vnc working next

mike

Ted Dog

#39 Post by Ted Dog »

yeah... rain break.. will be indoors for the next day or so. forecast for some Texas famous gully washers tonight and tomorrow so I will have time to play indoors on my computer. Finally got caughtup on my things to due outside which is great had a bad spell of muscle weekness the last 6 weeks and was worried if I was going to be able to walk well again.
So I plan on getting my hands dirty playing in puppy and fatdog64 stuff will you be online tomorrow to answer questions have not been successful with QEMU on one box but I have not put much effort into it to figure out why.

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

Ok updated pet to fix kvm module loading

Note... all done on windows 7 ;)

mike