Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 10:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Seems PL and DSL are the only distros left for older boxes
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Fossil

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2014, 14:06    Post_subject:  

Just tried KolibriOS - Amazing for it's size!
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2014, 16:31    Post_subject:  

I've just come across this page, which has an extensive listing of the options for someone who needs to have something to run on an old machine. It's well worth a look if you don't mind older distros;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running Puppy Slacko 5.9.3, Puppy EmSee v2.2, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy Boxpup 4.31, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
jacatone

PostPosted: Mon 05 May 2014, 23:59    Post_subject:  

Wanted to try this LXLE, but it can only be downloaded through bittorent. I use my local library for their free broadband and they don't allow bittorent. Anyone know of a standalone iso download somewhere?
darry1966

PostPosted: Tue 06 May 2014, 04:45    Post_subject:  

How about Wattos - has anyone tried it?
http://www.planetwatt.com/
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 06 May 2014, 05:52    Post_subject:  

darry1966 wrote:
How about Wattos - has anyone tried it?
http://www.planetwatt.com/

I haven't tried the latest one, but I did try the last release (7.0) and it was OK except that I had trouble downloading additional software.

It's a good choice for a lightweight Ubuntu based distro, and quite nice-looking, but if you want to extend it I think you need to know how mirrors work (which I don't).

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running Puppy Slacko 5.9.3, Puppy EmSee v2.2, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy Boxpup 4.31, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
darry1966

PostPosted: Tue 06 May 2014, 07:58    Post_subject:  

You can edit apt sources list using an apt sources list generator site there is one for Debian and one for Ubuntu from which Wattos is based - example below, I would imagine it works with Wattos

http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/
darry1966

PostPosted: Tue 06 May 2014, 08:02    Post_subject:  

By the way I forgot to mention slackware based Absolute Linux which is pretty solid, I have used it along with Vector Linux.

http://www.absolutelinux.org/
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 06 May 2014, 10:07    Post_subject:  

darry1966 wrote:
You can edit apt sources list using an apt sources list generator site there is one for Debian and one for Ubuntu from which Wattos is based - example below, I would imagine it works with Wattos

http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/

Thanks, I'll make a note of that one.

Cheers,

CP .

darry1966

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 22:04    Post_subject:  

By the way Colonel Panic WattOS has changed bases to debian
according to distrowatch:
"Ron Ropp has announced the release of wattOS R8, a set of minimalist Debian-based distributions with a choice of LXDE, MATE or Openbox desktop user interfaces: "The wattOS team is pleased to announce the release of the new version of wattOS - release 8 - (also known as RCool. After 5 years of being an Ubuntu-based distro, we have made the change to Debian. Specifically Debian 'Wheezy' as the base, with some backports thrown in (for example a newer kernel), and in a couple of small places a little 'Jessie' where warranted. But for the most part, its Debian 'Wheezy' as a base to build from. The additional tweaks include the addition of the expected things to make it easy to use as a live CD or install CD. So a reasonably complete desktop for all editions that includes things like support for multiple wireless chipsets, Flash inclusion, printing support...."
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum