System resource use spiking and application freezes in 2.10

Using applications, configuring, problems
mouldy

System resource use spiking and application freezes in 2.10

#1 Post by mouldy »

I can kill the application or at least the gui though resource spike doesnt go away and "ps" shows process still running. "kill -9" doesnt phase it though eventually it goes away on its own.

I first noticed this playing a dvd movie with gxine and changing chapters. I vaguely remember somebody saying something about latest gxine having some kind of problems. So any chance to try something different, I downloaded Ogle and Goggles. Once I finally got compatible versions of fox tool kit and goggles, it worked. And when I changed chapters more than couple times it did exactly like gxine. By way if you just let movie play without changing chapters both gxine and goggles/ogle will play movie completely through with no problem. And I have to say this system plays movies much better than my old P2 computer did.

I even booted Puppy 0.9.3 and ran ogle with Barry's gui, it froze after just one chapter change. This morning just now, Opera9.01 did same thing so not just dvd related.

Whats up? This is recent computer I pieced together 754 ESC motherboard with Sempron 3300 and 256mb ddr pc3200 memory. Assuming one can believe the bios health meter, this system is running cool and no overclocking.

mouldy

#2 Post by mouldy »

Must be something in the application software as I downloaded mplayer and can swap between chapters and titles with ease even if I continually change. No freeze up. Though I have to say mplayer has its own little annoying quirks but they are liveable. One of these days I will try VLC player though the linux version is huge and nobody has made a dotpup.

By way I was just using Opera to try and post this and it spiked system resources and froze after opening the "post a reply" screen. Had to kill it. Using K-Ninja under WINE which never does this. Seamonkey never spikes and crashes either.

What is it about 2.10 or my hardware that is causing this or do certain applications have some bug that reacts either to 2.10 or my hardware. I never had problem with these applications freezing on older Puppies. Goggles/Ogle always was super fast and worked a treat before. And Opera wasnt spiking and crashing.

Yes just reread earlier post, I did run Puppy 0.9.3 on this computer and ogle crashed on it also. Must be something in ogle, gxine, and Opera that doesnt like my new hardware. Everything else so far is as stable as can be.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

yes, the javascript on the forum crashes my Opera 9.02 .... it locks up with 100% cpu useage if i click any of the buttons (bold, italic, quote, etc etc) ... as a workaround, i don't click the buttons if i post from Opera

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

GuestToo wrote:yes, the javascript on the forum crashes my Opera 9.02 .... it locks up with 100% cpu useage if i click any of the buttons (bold, italic, quote, etc etc) ... as a workaround, i don't click the buttons if i post from Opera
I didnt use any of the javascript decoration buttons, just pushed buttton towrite a reply, reply screen came up and voila, major freeze.