Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Jan 2019, 17:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 186 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
Ether

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2014, 18:28    Post subject: Re: Kernel-3.14.4-1 install
Subject description: hardinfo blowfish

Ether wrote:
FWIW:

Hardinfo CPU Blowfish; Optiplex GX620 with Pentium D.

17.62 seconds DebianDog*
12.22 seconds Precise571
11.99 seconds Slacko560pae
11.97 seconds Slacko560non-pae
08.90 seconds Lucid528-005

All frugal-installed on HDD.

Question:
Why is Lucid528-005 in a league of its own?

PAE doesn't seem to make any difference with Slacko.

*DebianDog:
3701bf9a31615905ac7333d5a50d98eb DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta.iso

Just installed the 686-pae kernel from
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/022-kernel-686-pae.zip

Ran CPU blowfish and now it's 8.81 seconds.

Sweet.

Toni, can you help me get internet working in DebianDog on my Optiplex GX620? It works in Lucid528, Slacko56&57, and Precise571. But not in DebianDog. I get a DNS error.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2014, 19:18    Post subject: Re: Kernel-3.14.4-1 install

Ether wrote:

Toni, can you help me get internet working in DebianDog on my Optiplex GX620? It works in Lucid528, Slacko56&57, and Precise571. But not in DebianDog. I get a DNS error.

Well, I'm not Toni, who will probably be asleep up in his part of the world just now. If it is a driver issue, Ether, you cold try the following, or if that doesn't work maybe try: apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree
saintless wrote:

031-firmware-porteus.squashfs - Firmware from Porteus. Use it in case some device does not work. It might fix the problem.

Otherwise, as a starter, you'd need to publish more details of your hardware and if using wireless or ethernet ADSL or whatever.

DNS error could just signify you don't have a connection through to your ISP. The ISP machine normally auto-provides the DNS domain server details as part of dhcp configuration details passed to your adsl (or whatever) router. If something wrong with that connection then that won't be happening.

William
Ether

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2014, 21:32    Post subject: Re: Kernel-3.14.4-1 install
Subject description: internet DNW in DebianDog on GX620

mcewanw wrote:
...If it is a driver issue, Ether, you cold try the following,
saintless wrote:

031-firmware-porteus.squashfs - Firmware from Porteus. Use it in case some device does not work. It might fix the problem.

Yes, that works, but only with the non-SMP kernel.

Quote:
or if that doesn't work maybe try: apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree

Catch-22. If 031-firmware-porteus.squashfs didn't work, then I couldn't try apt-get on this machine (because it requires internet).

But since 031-firmware-porteus.squashfs did work, should I boot that and then try apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree? Or would that really screw things up?

Quote:
Otherwise, as a starter, you'd need to publish more details of your hardware and if using wireless or ethernet ADSL or whatever.

Not wireless. Ethernet cable to my router. The error in Dillo is:

ERROR: Dns can't resolve google.com

Quote:
DNS error could just signify you don't have a connection through to your ISP. The ISP machine normally auto-provides the DNS domain server details as part of dhcp configuration details passed to your adsl (or whatever) router. If something wrong with that connection then that won't be happening.

On the machine in question (GX620), internet works when booted to WinXP, Precise571, Slacko57, Slacko56, and Lucid528. But not DebianDog.

Last edited by Ether on Tue 27 May 2014, 22:19; edited 1 time in total
Ether

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2014, 22:15    Post subject:  

saintless@775942 wrote:
I suggest using fresh frugal DebianDog install without any save file or separate sfs loaded (especially sfs made with old RemasterCow included in the iso).
Then try to reboot with this firmware from Porteus inside /live directory:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/031-firmware-porteus.squashfs

That worked, but it does not work with the SMP kernel 022-kernel-686-pae.

Quote:
If there is no connection try installing firmware-linux-nonfree package from here (download it now and install it with right click Install/Upgrade in XFE on the machine with network problem):
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb

The word "firmware" in there gives me pause. Before I do this I need to know: Is this going to change the firmware in some of the chips in my machine?

Quote:
I will look at Lupu 528 firmware if we can take something from there to work on your HP.

Thank you.

Please note that there are now two models that don't work: HP Pavilion a600n and Dell GX620.

Dell Dimension E310 works fine.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 00:43    Post subject:  

Ether wrote:

Quote:
If there is no connection try installing firmware-linux-nonfree package from here (download it now and install it with right click Install/Upgrade in XFE on the machine with network problem):
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb

The word "firmware" in there gives me pause. Before I do this I need to know: Is this going to change the firmware in some of the chips in my machine?

Yes, if I was you, I'd download the above package from a machine you do have connectivity on. Can also get it here:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/firmware-linux-nonfree

It doesn't change the firmware inside any of the chips; it is just low-level driver code. I wouldn't use Lupu stuff - use the above package from Debian.
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 03:09    Post subject:  

Hi, Ether.
Ether wrote:
..Please note that there are now two models that don't work: HP Pavilion a600n and Dell GX620.

As William suggested (Thank you, William) installing firmware-linux-nonfree most probably will fix your problem.
Speaking about Dell GX620 for now - type this in terminal:
Code:
lspci -nn | grep Eth

I think you will get similar output:
Code:
Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1677] (rev 01)

This means you need Broadcom firmware which is included in firmware-linux-nonfree package (part of the included firmware):
Code:
 * Broadcom BCM5703/BCM5704 TSO firmware (tigon/tg3_tso.bin)
 * Broadcom BCM5701A0 firmware (tigon/tg3.bin)
 * Broadcom BCM5705 TSO firmware (tigon/tg3_tso5.bin)

It is perfectly safe to install this package.

As alternative:
If you like to use it only for the machines with network problem you can create separate squashfs module this way:

1. Boot the computer with network connection with fresh DebianDog (no save file and no other squashfs modules loaded). Use live-boot-2x or porteus-boot.
2. apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree
3. Use RemasterCow to create new squashfs module 03-firmware-linux-nonfree.squashfs (make sure not to uncheck the box "Disable dpkg registration". It is checked by default. Just keep it this way.
4. Boot the machines without network connection with Pae kernel module and 03-firmware-linux-nonfree.squashfs inside /live

If all works well you can easy make a remaster with Pae kernel by removing the dafult kernel and keeping firmware-linux-nonfree package included. If you decide to do it just write here for proper instruction. Just write which boot method you like to use for the remastered version.

Like William I also would not use non-debian drivers and firmware from Puppy or other linux if it is not the last and only way to fix the problem

Toni
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 12:58    Post subject:  

Only for information for anyone interested:
Just found a way to use RemasterCow with live-boot-3x in specific case which will make installing new kernel process and creating new initrd files much easier and without need to reboot the computer. The instruction will be completely changed in the next days.

Toni
stemsee

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 14:53    Post subject: Great News!!!
Subject description: when when ??

This sounds like what I need!!

Will it include ability to compile and install your own custom kernels? just icing on the cake...
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 15:40    Post subject:  

New separate kernel module uploaded for modern PC:
026-kernel-3.14-Pae.tar.gz - Debian kernel-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-Pae:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=779898#779898
I might remove 3.12 or 3.13 no-pae kernel module soon. We do not need both.

Stemsee,
Debian documentation is full with information how to compile kernel if you need to do it. I gave few links to such instructions here but there is much more information in google from Debian and Ubuntu documentation.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=779137#779137
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 15:49    Post subject: Re: Kernel-3.14.4-1 install

Hi, Ether.
Ether wrote:
Just installed the 686-pae kernel from
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/022-kernel-686-pae.zip

Ran CPU blowfish and now it's 8.81 seconds.

Sweet.

Maybe this much newer kernel-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-Pae separate module will work better for your hardware if you like to try. I don't think it will solve the network problem without firmware-linux-nonfree installed but you never know.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=779898#779898

Ether

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 19:48    Post subject: Re: Kernel-3.14.4-1 install
Subject description: Broadcom drivers

saintless@779901 wrote:
Maybe this much newer kernel-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-Pae separate module will work better for your hardware if you like to try. I don't think it will solve the network problem without firmware-linux-nonfree installed but you never know.

The newer kernel did not solve the internet connection problem without firmware-linux-nonfree.

saintless@779822 wrote:
1. Boot the computer with network connection with fresh DebianDog (no save file and no other squashfs modules loaded). Use live-boot-2x or porteus-boot.
2. apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree
3. Use RemasterCow to create new squashfs module 03-firmware-linux-nonfree.squashfs (make sure not to uncheck the box "Disable dpkg registration". It is checked by default. Just keep it this way.
4. Boot the machines without network connection with Pae kernel module and 03-firmware-linux-nonfree.squashfs inside /live

The above worked. I now have both the SMP kernel (8.8 second hardinfo CPU blowfish) and internet connection. Thank you.

But I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the "Disable dpkg registration" checkbox you mentioned? I am using the latest DebianDog ISO (dated May 15th). The ReMasterCow that came with that does not have such a checkbox.

2) What is the significance of the prefix numbers you have assigned to the squashfs files? When I added a squashfs I had created earlier named "iceweasel.squashfs" to the /live folder and booted, the internet stopped working. When I renamed that file to 02-iceweasel.squashfs and re-booted, the internet worked.

Quote:
If all works well you can easy make a remaster with Pae kernel by removing the dafult kernel and keeping firmware-linux-nonfree package included. If you decide to do it just write here for proper instruction.

Yes, I'd like to try this.

Quote:
Just write which boot method you like to use for the remastered version.

Here's the kernel:

root@debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.14.4-1~bpo70+1 (2014-05-14) i686 GNU/Linux
root@debian:~#

Here's the menu.lst boot entry:

root=(hd0,2)
kernel /live/vmlinuz6 boot=live config swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin showmounts
initrd /live/initrd62.img

Here's the contents of the /live folder:

root@debian:/live# ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 354 May 14 17:09 01-filesystem.squashfs
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 72 May 28 21:01 026-kernel-3.14.0.bpo-pae.squashfs
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 82 May 28 15:30 03-firmware-linux-nonfree.squashfs
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 380 May 29 01:15 cow
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 May 29 01:13 image
root@debian:/live#

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 29 May 2014, 01:38    Post subject:  

Hi, Ether.

Ether wrote:
1) What is the "Disable dpkg registration" checkbox you mentioned? I am using the latest DebianDog ISO (dated May 15th). The ReMasterCow that came with that does not have such a checkbox.

It has. Make sure you do not have live-rw save file or squashfs module inside /live folder made with older version of DebianDog.
Here is the new RemasterCow info with pictures:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=773214#773214
Checkbox "Disable dpkg registration" is on the bottom:

Click on "Click for info about dpkg registration":

Quote:
2) What is the significance of the prefix numbers you have assigned to the squashfs files? When I added a squashfs I had created earlier named "iceweasel.squashfs" to the /live folder and booted, the internet stopped working. When I renamed that file to 02-iceweasel.squashfs and re-booted, the internet worked.

The text in the picture above gives short information but in general if you have 01, 02 and 03 squashfs modules inside /live folder (/live folder on the iso or hdd partition frugal install - not "ls -l /live" which gives different location) they are loaded in alphabetic order. If you have the same file (/etc/rc.local for example) with different content inside 01, 02 and 03 squashfs module the system will show after boot /etc/rc.local from 03.squashfs
I can't tell what is the reason for iseweasel.squashfs but if it is made with older DebianDog RemasterCow version I suggest do not include this iseweasel.squashfs in remastered version made with RemasterDog. It will break dpkg database and apt-get will give errors because /var/lib/dpkg/status from iceweasel.squashfs will overlay the content of /var/lib/dpkg/status from 01-filesystem.squashfs (and the last one has many later installed programs that will be invisible now for the system).

Remaster DebianDog.
RemasterDog information:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=773212#773212

Now special for you configuration:
Quote:
Here's the kernel:

Linux debian 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.14.4-1~bpo70+1 (2014-05-14) i686 GNU/Linux
root@debian:~#

Here's the menu.lst boot entry:

root=(hd0,2)
kernel /live/vmlinuz6 boot=live config swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin showmounts

Here's the contents of the /live folder:

root@debian:/live# ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 354 May 14 17:09 01-filesystem.squashfs
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 72 May 28 21:01 026-kernel-3.14.0.bpo-pae.squashfs
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 82 May 28 15:30 03-firmware-linux-nonfree.squashfs
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 380 May 29 01:15 cow
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 May 29 01:13 image
root@debian:/live#

initrd62.img means you use live-boot-2x I guess it is your favorite choice to use DebianDog (as it is mine BTW.) To keep the system size smaller I will explain what you can remove that is not needed for live-boot-2x in /live folder.
Make sure you have inside /live (/live/image/live if you use DebianDog initrd62.img) only:
01-filesystem.squashfs
026-kernel-3.14.0.bpo-pae.squashfs
initrd62.img
vmlinuz6

Remove all other files and folders from there. You do not need them for live-boot-2x.
It is easier to install firmware-linux-nonfree again instead setting up dpkg registration manually from the content of 03-firmware-linux-nonfree.squashfs, so do not use 03-firmware-linux-nonfree.squashfs
If you make the remaster on a computer that do not have network without firmware-linux-nonfree package download the package before starting the remaster process. This way you will be able to install it manually without internet connection.
Use the same boot code. Make sure there is no live-rw save file in use ( I see from your boot code you do not use save file but just in case):
Code:
root=(hd0,2)

After boot check out the kernel version to make sure all is fine:
Code:
Linux debian 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.14.4-1~bpo70+1

Now remove the default kernel and confirm with Y:
Code:
apt-get purge linux-image-3.2.0-4-486

Then install firmware-linux-nonfree package already downloaded from XFE file manger --> right click on the deb package --> Install/Upgrade.
After this use XFE to go in /opt/bin and left click on update-dpkg-314pae
The file will be erased in a second and this means dpkg database is updated with information about your new kernel.
Type in terminal:
Code:
apt-get -f install

to make sure no errors will appear and continue:
Start System->RemasterDog and chose the partition to create working folder and 01-filesystem.squashfs.
Information about RemasterDog here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=773212#773212

If you use as I suggested fresh DebianDog without save file and only with this files in /live:
01-filesystem.squashfs
026-kernel-3.14.0.bpo-pae.squashfs
initrd62.img
vmlinuz6
just leave RemasterDog to finish the process and confirm creating new module.
Then remove from /live (/live/image/live) 01-filesystem.squashfs and 026-kernel-3.14.0.bpo-pae.squashfs. They are included in your remastered 01-filesystem.squashfs on the partition chosen in RemasterDog. Move this new file in /live. Now the content of live should be only:
01-filesystem.squashfs
initrd62.img
vmlinuz6

Reboot the computer with the same code and try to install some programs with apt-get to make sure all is fine. I'm sure it will be but, please, write the result anyway.

Toni

Ether

PostPosted: Thu 29 May 2014, 08:47    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
Hi, Ether.

Ether wrote:

It has. Make sure you do not have live-rw save file or squashfs module inside /live folder made with older version of DebianDog.

There is no checkbox in RemasterCow. See attached screenshot.

Here is the boot entry I used from menu.lst:

root=(hd1,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live config swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin
initrd /live/initrd1.img

Here is the contents of /live folder at (hd1,0):

root@debian:/media/sdb1/live# ls -l
total 114196
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 91545600 May 15 01:36 01-filesystem.squashfs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 20 15:44 base
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8069952 May 15 01:36 initrd.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7918372 May 15 01:36 initrd1.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6722348 May 15 01:36 initrd1.xz
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 20 15:44 modules
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 20 15:44 optional
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 20 15:44 rootcopy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2511200 May 15 01:36 vmlinuz1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 437 May 15 01:36 wheezy-i486.sgn
root@debian:/media/sdb1/live#

As you can see:

1) The only squashfs file in the /live folder I am booting to is 01-filesystem.squashfs

2) There is no live-rw file in the /live folder I am booting to

3) The boot entry I am using does not use persistence

I have a /live folder with old DebianDog version on (hd0,0) sda1, but that is not the one I am booting to. I am booting to (hd1,0) sdb1.

ls-l live.png
Description  ls -l listing of /live folder
png

Download 
Filename  ls-l live.png 
Filesize  61.8 KB 
Downloaded  334 Time(s) 
menu.lst.png
Description  menu.lst
png

Download 
Filename  menu.lst.png 
Filesize  22.22 KB 
Downloaded  317 Time(s) 
RemasterCow.png
 Description   screenshot of RemasterCow
 Filesize   25.58 KB
 Viewed   368 Time(s)

RemasterCow.png

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 29 May 2014, 09:08    Post subject:  

Ether wrote:
I have a /live folder with old DebianDog version on (hd0,0) sda1, but that is not the one I am booting to. I am booting to (hd1,0) sdb1.

And this is where the problem comes. init script will search for /live on any partition and will use anyone found after loading initrd and vmlinuz from (hd1.0).
Rename /live folder with old DebianDog version on (hd0,0) to /live-old and boot again (hd1,0).
There is a way to use several DebianDog frugal install on different or on the same partition but they need to have different names and different boot codes.

BTW just for information you have second module /live/base/021-apps-porteus.squashfs which actually is in subfolder inside live but this has nothing to do with the problem we discuss. Also live-rw save file (if there is any should be outside /live at top of any vfat or ext partition to be used.

Toni

Ether

PostPosted: Thu 29 May 2014, 10:16    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
init script will search for /live on any partition and will use anyone found after loading initrd and vmlinuz from (hd1.0).

Is there a way to tell, once booted, what version was actually booted?

saintless wrote:
There is a way to use several DebianDog frugal install on different or on the same partition but they need to have different names and different boot codes.

I was doing that for a while and it was working, until I tried using the 022 & 026 kernels. They seemed to want the folder to be named "/live". If this is not the case, could you please post a complete menu.lst boot entry showing how to boot the new kernel in a folder not named "/live" ?

saintless wrote:
live-rw save file (if there is any should be outside /live at top of any vfat or ext partition to be used

If I am booting a menu.lst boot entry that does *not* have the "persistent" parameter, does it matter if I have live-rw or where they are located?

BTW, what is the preferred way to refer to the "old" and "new" DebianDog ISO? Should I just use the date (and if so, which date), or is there a version number.

Page 186 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: