Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Argolance

#301 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
This could not be more completed!
:D :D
Thank you!
I (un)fortunately have to go away during the whole month but I take my laptop with me and will surely find connection and time to test all what you kindly "cooked" for ToOpPy users.

Cordialement.

rerwin

Frisbee and pgprs removed from "beta" status

#302 Post by rerwin »

I have re-uploaded frisbee-1.2 and pgprs-1.5 with the "-beta" removed form their names. They are identical to the betas and carry the same date in their names. If anyone still has an issue with either, please report it here. They appear to be ready for addition to the woof-CE system.
Available: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#757398

Out of curiosity, does anyone use the VPN interface, gpptp? If so, is there any interest in my adding a tab to frisbee to support the fine-tuning of the options.pptp configuration file?
Richard

rerwin

Frisbee 1.2 for DebianDog

#303 Post by rerwin »

I recieved this message from anikin regarding frisbee and DebianDog:
I would like to test the latest version of Frisbee in DebianDog, and have 2 questions.

1) Does your version have ipinfo (icanhazip) implemented in the code?
if it doesn't,
2) Your pet seems to be structured differently from the DD setup. Should I just manually replace the files, or do uninstall first? Can you also make a deb file in addition to pet?
Re #1: It does not link to icanhazip.com directly, but does use ipinfo, which does. However, ipinfo has been fixed so that it does not link there unless the user selects that as an option. By default, ipinfo does not link to icanhazip.com.

Re #2: First, I do not know how to make deb files, so that is out. Before committing, I wanted to check out DebianDog to see where there might be problems. The main difference between puppy and DD that affects the latest frisbee is that DD does not contain the Roaring Penguin PPPOE function that frisbee now interfaces with. I have updated frisbee to look for that possibility and to disable (grey out) the part of the Telephone Networks tab relating to PPPOE, including the radio button for selecting it. The Mobile/3G part should work, as it is independent from (but compatible with) the also absent pgprs function.

Since DD does not support pet packages, I converted the updated 1.2 pet to the attached tarball that can be installed at the top/root-level (/) directory:
  • - In DebianDog, download/move the tarball to the "/" directory.
    - Click on it to open Xarchiver.
    - Extract all of the files there (to /).
    - Open a console (xterm) and type: cd /
    - Then type: ./pinstall.sh
    - Remove the tarball and pinstall.sh files when done with them.
When you start frisbee (JWM > Settings > Frisbee) you should now see 3 tabs instead of 2. If anything turns out to be amiss, be sure to notify me so that I can address it.
Richard

UPDATE 5/19/2014: I now see what you mean, anikin, by "structured differently", having examined in more detail the frisbee implementation in DebianDog. I assume that the directory changes are to conform to debian conventions. I need to create a new update package for DD that incorporates the "1.2" updates into the existing DD directories for frisbee. Although the the 20140518 package may give you something to test with, be assured that I will also provide, soon, a package/tarball that is consistent with the DD architecture. R
Attachments
DD-frisbee-1.2-20140518.tar.gz
Frisbee for Debian Dog only. See installation instructions.
(25.77 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

anikin

#304 Post by anikin »

Thank you, Richard,

At a glance, nothing seems to be amiss, installed following your instructions, restarted DHCP - looks good so far. As you will see in the attached image, there are 3 windows and PPPOE is indeed greyd out. However, PPPOE can easily be installed -> 'apt-get update' -> 'apt-get install pppoeconf' =>https://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE
It would be great to have a fully consistent package, not necessarilly deb. I'm looking forwrad to having it. To make my request absolutely clear, I'm looking forward to having a Frisbee, that will not have ipinfo/icanhazip (or any similar mechanism) in *any* form - enabled/disabled, or user selectable. Just a plain Linux network manager, like those currently availabe in Debian - wicd, connman, networkmanager.

Thank you, once again for all your work and knowledge.
Attachments
frisbee12.jpeg
(37.32 KiB) Downloaded 1668 times

mavrothal

Re: Frisbee and pgprs removed from "beta" status

#305 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote:They appear to be ready for addition to the woof-CE system.
Dear Richard
just to clarify that frisbee and pgprs scripts are not in wood-CE so they can not be "updated" with your changes.
So "ready for addition" means that puppy builders that use woof-CE can include these pets with their builds.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Scooby

#306 Post by Scooby »

I'm trying to port frisbee 1.2 to alphaos ( frisbee 1.0 is working properly )

I understand there was a patched dhcpcd for drop-out-wait time
Could this patch be applied to compile dhcpcd for 64-bit environment.

Is PPPOE optional?

pdiag is not existent on alphaos and I think to specific for puppy
but I guess I could comment it out.

I get strange behaviour when I tried 1.2. Ip adress is perfectly negotiated but
then I cannot reach internet anyway.

any suggestions?

rerwin

#307 Post by rerwin »

Scooby,
Thanks for consulting me about porting frisbee 1.2 to alphaos. Although I am unfamiliar with alphaos, I have been working this past week with anakin regarding porting it to DebianDog, which getting interesting. Your timing is excellent. So far, I have it working along with network_tray. DD already has the modified dhcpcd.

For a 64-bit OS, I think the same modified-dhcpcd source code should compile for it. I have not tried that, so assume you would work out any kinks. I think I posted the source code earlier in this thread. Let me know if it needs modification for 64-bit compatibility. You also need the script, dhcpcd_dropwait_option.

Regarding PPPoE and pdiag, I am preparing an updated frisbee-1.2 that makes PPPoE optional. I should do the same with pdiag; if it is not present, the button for it will be disabled (greyed out). If you can provide an alternative diagnostic tool that captures logs and other info into something that is useful for debugging, either name it pdiag or make a link to the tool, naming the link as "pdiag". If you need further mods to frisbee, please tell me so that I can incorporate them, to minimize the number of (or avoid) frisbee variants out there.

I would like to work with you on this, in case I need to make further mods to frisbee-1.2 for alphaos, as I have for DD.
Richard

Scooby

#308 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote:Scooby,
Thanks for consulting me about porting frisbee 1.2 to alphaos. Although I am unfamiliar with alphaos, I have been working this past week with anakin regarding porting it to DebianDog, which getting interesting. Your timing is excellent. So far, I have it working along with network_tray. DD already has the modified dhcpcd.
found source for network_tray and compiled it, don't know if it's compatible with alphaos.
Since alphaOS is on gtk3 I had to change some method calls.
rerwin wrote: For a 64-bit OS, I think the same modified-dhcpcd source code should compile for it. I have not tried that, so assume you would work out any kinks. I think I posted the source code earlier in this thread. Let me know if it needs modification for 64-bit compatibility. You also need the script, dhcpcd_dropwait_option.
Found source for dhcpcd dropwait here . Since alphaos use dhcpcd 6.3.2 I downloaded it
as source and manually hacked in the diffs in the source files.
I think I have the dhcpcd_dropwait_option script since my starting point was your frisbee 1.2 pet

I haven't tested this at all but will report progress and setbacks.
rerwin wrote: Regarding PPPoE and pdiag, I am preparing an updated frisbee-1.2 that makes PPPoE optional. I should do the same with pdiag; if it is not present, the button for it will be disabled (greyed out). If you can provide an alternative diagnostic tool that captures logs and other info into something that is useful for debugging, either name it pdiag or make a link to the tool, naming the link as "pdiag".
what about the pgprs pet, optional?

rerwin wrote: If you need further mods to frisbee, please tell me so that I can incorporate them, to minimize the number of (or avoid) frisbee variants out there.

I would like to work with you on this, in case I need to make further mods to frisbee-1.2 for alphaos, as I have for DD.
Richard
I'm happy to cooperate on this and if possible respect your wish to limit number of frisbee variants
but I think alphaOS is pretty different from puppy and don't know
if it is possible?

Is there a pet of the pet-file handler that puppy uses.
Alphaos doesn't have pet system but maybe it could be provided as a module?

rerwin

#309 Post by rerwin »

Scooby wrote:what about the pgprs pet, optional?
It is not required. Frisbee-1.2 implements similar logic, making pgprs redundant. But having it present would give users the option to avoid using frisbee for gprs. They use the same configuration and chatscript files, so cannot be used concurrently.
Is there a pet of the pet-file handler that puppy uses.
Alphaos doesn't have pet system but maybe it could be provided as a module?
Well, "modules" are hardware drivers, not applications, so that is out. For DebianDog, I am providing archive/tarball files for frisbee and network_tray, such that they can be expanded to "/". I include a pinstall-type file to be executed (manually) to make any necessary changes, such as deletions. I hope to master the process of making a ".deb" package for each, to eliminate possible operator errors in installing the packages. What packaging method does alphaos use. Obviously, I have not yet done my research on alphaos yet.
Richard

Scooby

#310 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote: Well, "modules" are hardware drivers, not applications, so that is out.
I meant modules in a more general sense
rerwin wrote: For DebianDog, I am providing archive/tarball files for frisbee and network_tray, such that they can be expanded to "/". I include a pinstall-type file to be executed (manually) to make any necessary changes, such as deletions. I hope to master the process of making a ".deb" package for each, to eliminate possible operator errors in installing the packages. What packaging method does alphaos use.
Basically alphaOS uses arch repo's so I guess you could make an AUR package if you like.

For me normally I just supply a sfs-squashfile to be loaded in union.
AlphaOS loads user sfs-files higher up in union than base OS files.
(sfs files are actually called "sb" files in alphaOS )
With this approach you cannot of course run pinstall-type file automatically

I think you only Remove residue from prior frisbee versions with pinstall.sh.
There is no residue in alphaOS as it uses connman by default now.

you have to remove/replace some connmann stuff to get it to work.
But that is maybe something that shouldn't be inside a frisbee package though?

The way I do it when I try to convert frisbee 1.2 is just have another sfs-file with alphaos specific configuration. i.e trying to keep frisbee as close to the one in puppy in it's own container and then the config of alphaos separately.

BTW is there a way to identify version from a current install? I miss --version flag

Scooby

#311 Post by Scooby »

Now I've gotten network_tray 2.7 and frisbee 1.2 to run on alphaOS

I still have some cleaning up todo and of course dropwait patch for dhcpcd

And some puppy specific stuff to add so that everything works in
frisbee GUI

will report further findings and then we can discuss how to package it.

I can say for sure that I cannot use some of the original dirs on alphaOS

I had to move stuff from /lib to /usr/lib
and from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin

/lib and /usr/sbin are symlinks on alphaOS

rerwin

Compatible version of frisbee?

#312 Post by rerwin »

anikin, Scooby,
I now have a "compatibility" version of frisbee that works both in puppy and DebianDog. Its functionality is the same as the previous "1.2" but with these minor improvements:
  • - fixes the pppoe option's "Status" button operation
    - greys out the PPPoE option altogether if Roaring Penguin's PPPoE function is not present
    - greys out the Diagnostics "Generate Diagnostic Data" button if the "pdiag" command/package is not present
The primary differences are to accommodate the different locations of the component files, as Scooby just mentioned above.

My intent is that there be only a single set of files constituting frisbee itself, but with a separate package of some type that has the files in the right place for debian or arch, and any other distro someone wants to use frisbee on.

Therefore, if you discover that you need to modify frisbee file contents, please notify me so that I can incorporate the mods into a master version of frisbee. I want to avoid having many variants of frisbee floating around, when I am eager to adapt frisbee as necessary to support its widespread acceptance.

In this posting I attach the current version of the "compatible" frisbee-1.2 for use only in Puppies that already support frisbee-1.x. The DebianDog (and any other adaptations) are in my next posting.
Richard

UPDATE 6/8/2014: Replaced frisbee-1.2 (with 20140607) to add changes recommended by Scooby and others.

UPDATE 6/14/2014: Replaced frisbee-1.2 (with 20140614) to add changes recommended by Scooby, to disable 2 diagnostic buttons (for pdiag & drop timeout) if they are not supported.

UPDATE 7/25/2014: Replaced frisbee-1.2 (with 20140724) to:
  • - Remove the 'Set Drop Timeout' button (instead of disabling it) if dhcpcd does not offer the "-j/--dropwait" option, either because dropwait is not implemented or is a fixed value (3 seconds), depending on which variant dhcpcd package is installed.
    - Prevent multiple instances of frisbee running concurrently.
    - Fix "Drop Timeout" Cancel/X buttons to avoid zeroing the saved value.
    - In Network Interfaces tab, (1) disable (grey out) fields and 'Save' button when no interface is selected; (2) ensure the 'Auto DHCP' checkbox is disabled if the 'Ignore' checkbox is "checked", when an interface is selected.
UPDATE 8/18/2014: Replaced frisbee-1.2 with version 1.2.2 (20140818). The main change is that the dropwait feature is removed as an option. However, the new version of dhcpcd posted on page 24 of this thread now incorporates a different implementation of dropwait that tests for a carrier every second for 3 seconds. Dhcpcd has added timeout protection that conflicts with longer wait periods. Distro developers now have the option to include a dhcpcd with or without the 3-second delay. The changes to frisbee are:
  • - Removed wireless connection dropout delay option, now unnecessary.
    - Corrected the logic to prevent multiple concurrent instances of frisbee execution (Scooby).
    - Converted to the 1.2.x version format for updates.
    - Removed 6 dummy "99-" hook script files formerly used in uninstallation of frisbee.
    - Relocated the logic for determining the terminal emulator to be used to display the "dhcpcd log" (Scooby).
    - Added check for the system log being something other than /var/log/messages (/var/log/everything/current), for compatibility with some other linuxes (Scooby).
    - Corrected detection and display related to changing between multiple wifi interfaces.
    - Changed initialization script name (to frisbee.sh) to avoid using same name as main script.
    - Added SSID to profile update message.
UPDATE 9/12/2014: Replaced frisbee-1.2.2 with version 1.2.3 (20140912). The main improvement is to the table dialogs so that fields and related buttons are enabled only when an item in the table is selected and that DHCP static IP fields are enabled only when appropriate. The changes:
  • - Refined dialogs for "Scan results", "Manage Saved Networks" and "Network Interfaces" so fields and buttons are enabled (not greyed out) only when a valid table entry is selected and, for static IP addresses, when Auto DHCP is not selected.
    - Improved wireless network selection dialog so that updating of the list stops while an entry is selected, until connected or resumed with a "Refresh" or a "Restart Networks".
    - Changed the interface-change logic to avoid restarting the frisbee script and, instead, restarting only the main dialog, making it compatible with the new single-instance lock.
    - Added logic to update a wireless profile only when no input errors are detected.
    - For static IP address entries, removed the requirement for a domain name server (DNS), to permit use in LANs using static IP addresses (which do not need a DNS specification).
    - Added a "Refresh" button to the "Network Interfaces" dialog tab, for use with "hotplugged" network devices.
    - Added logic to ensure that only one wireless (wifi) interface is active, by preventing DHCP from using any other such attached interfaces, enforcing a design constraint, to partially address domain name server issues that unexpectedly prevent internet access.
    - Corrected the logic for multiple wireless interfaces to detect (hotplug) changes in connected devices and (re)start the appropriate wifi interface.
    - Added a test for a spurious instance of wpa_supplicant possibly triggered by dhcpcd (6.4.2, probably due to incorrect configuration of it), to "kill" it when the user performs a "Change Interface" operation.
WARNING: Note that the 2014091x uploads are now replaced by 20140912 to remove all of the "wpa_supplicant.bin business". The problem it worked around is caused by the new dhcpcd, 6.4.2, which launches wpa_supplicant when a USB wifi device is plugged in ("hotplugged") but using the wrong configuration file. Dhcpcd probably needs to be recompiled with a configuration parameter to prevent that launch. Sorry for the aggravation to the two downloaders -- please destroy all copies of the 20140910 and 20140911 package, because they needlessly and only partially modify access to wpa_supplicant, damaging wifi support! The inappropriate wpa_supplicant still gets removed, as a precaution, when you click the "Change Interface" button and OK (no matter which interface is selected).

UPDATE 9/30/2014: Replaced frisbee-1.2.3 with version 1.3 (20140930). It contains refinements to button enabling/disabling and corrects the prioritization of networks to improve the chances that the selected network is actually the one connected, as well as bug fixes and improvements. The version is increased to 1.3 due to the extensive collection of fixes since 1.2 to the operation of frisbee. The details:
  • - Inserted delay to avoid slow password input display. (This may not be the complete solution, but I am watching it.)
    - Added message and immediate return if SSID not obtained during "Connect", which should be rare now that scanning is stopped while a network is selected.
    - Added error return codes in add_profile and restart of scanning for all input errors/failures after a WPA disconnect (instead of for only some of the failures).
    - Added a splash notice while waiting for WPA connection, checking periodically instead of single, long wait.
    - For connections, changed logic to bump priority only when used (no errors), obtain SSID & FLAGS together, correct priority calculation so that newest connection is always top priority.
    - Changed function names to use underscores instead of hyphens, which are nonstandard.
    - Added to frisbee.conf, parameter LINKFD= so distros can choose a "file descriptor" number for frisbee that does not conflict with others used in the distro, arbitrarily defaulted to "111".
    - Changed the "WPA scanning did not complete" message to state that no networks were found (after 30 seconds of scanning), because that is what happens when no networks are available.
UPDATE 10/19/2014: Uploaded bugfix as 1.3.1, to:
  • - Correct '/usr/local/frisbee/frisbee-mode-disable' script name of invoked initialization script on line 3 (s/b frisbee.sh) to restore the ability to switch from frisbee to other network managers.
    - Add 'nohook 10-wpa_supplicant' to dhcpcd.conf to prevent the new script of that name from being executed, because current logic does not require it; hotplugging produced a conflict with frisbee's operation.
    - Replace/simplify "hazardous" exit-code-test code in 'add_profile'.
UPDATE 2/22/2015: Uploaded bugfix as 1.3.2 to correct a typo in
/usr/local/frisbee/frisbee-wifi-disconnect
that prevented restarting of DHCP and networks. To make the change without installing 1.3.2, change line 5 to replace the hyphen (-) with an underscore (_), to read as:
reset_dhcp&

UPDATE 3/7/2015: I have uploaded frisbee-1.3.3 and several versions of dhcpcd-6.7.1 and its source code here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 546#832546
The only difference from frisbee-1.3.2 is that the /etc/frisbee/*.conf files do not get replaced by the default versions, thus preserving users' settings through installation.
Attachments
frisbee-1.3.2-20150222.pet
Improved dialog functioning and further "cleanup" and bug fixes, including switching between
network managers, suppressing new wpa_supplicant hook, dhcp restart typo fix.
To be used ONLY in Puppy installations already supporting frisbee-1.x.
(33.76 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
frisbee-1.3.1-20141030.pet
Improved dialog functioning and further "cleanup" and bug fixes, including switching from frisbee to
other network managers and suppressing new wpa_supplicant hook.
To be used ONLY in Puppy installations already supporting frisbee-1.x.
(33.75 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 22:46, edited 28 times in total.

rerwin

Frisbee for DebianDog and other distros

#313 Post by rerwin »

Here are two special packages that work for me in DebianDog. The packages are unlike any of the usual package types.

See the "Comment" for each file for installation instructions.

[I am short on time right now, so will add detail as I can.]
Richard
Attachments
DD_frisbee_kit-1.2-20140602.tar.gz
Frisbee-1.2 adapted for DebianDog and possibly other distros, including 64-bitters.
Expand this archive directly into the / directory, then click on the file, pinstall-frisbee.
(32.71 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
DD_network_tray-1.2-20140531.tar.gz
Network_tray-2.7 adapted for DebianDog, with the network_tray executable obtained from
pemasu's 32-bit Wheezy puppy.
Expand this archive directly into the / directory, then click on the file, pinstall-network_tray.
(9.79 KiB) Downloaded 383 times

anikin

#314 Post by anikin »

Richard,

I will test it soon and hopefully Toni (saintless) will help me should I encounter any issues.

Had a quick look at ipinfo:
#140524 rerwin (for anakin): External IP removed to avoid hidden internet access
...as Americans love to say - "call me a square, just don't call me late for dinner" :) ... I know you meant anikin, but is a name needed in the comment?

Your work is very much appreciated, thank you Richard.

Scooby

Re: Compatible version of frisbee?

#315 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote: My intent is that there be only a single set of files constituting frisbee itself, but with a separate package of some type that has the files in the right place for debian or arch, and any other distro someone wants to use frisbee on.
Only other thing I changed in frisbee was /etc/init.d/frisbee. I wanted the part under

Code: Select all

if [[ $1 == "start" || $1 == '' ]] ; then
to be indented for more readability

Do you have the same intent for network_tray? I had to change it to compile with gtk3.
function names are changed.

Also I had to add
/usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun
/usr/local/bin/defaultconnect
/usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor

I'm not sure they are considered part of the network_tray package?

Also gtkdialog updated to use gtk3, not either part of network_tray or frisbee

Maybe They should be in a special alphaOS compatibility package?

rerwin wrote: Therefore, if you discover that you need to modify frisbee file contents, please notify me so that I can incorporate the mods into a master version of frisbee. I want to avoid having many variants of frisbee floating around, when I am eager to adapt frisbee as necessary to support its widespread acceptance.
Will cooperate
rerwin wrote: I am short on time right now
Always, mate, always
Will do it when we can

What is wag-profiles.sh and is it affecting frisbee in any way?

Note:
i /usr/local/bin/frisbee line 413

<action>rxvt -e wpa_cli -i $INTERFACE&</action>
rxvt is explicitly called, alphaOS uses another default terminal.

could this call be substituted with something like /usr/local/bin/defaultterminal ?

else I could provide rxvt as a symlink to default terminal. which is best?

About ipinfo:
I did extract one version from the latest slacko with the new comment

#131126 zigbert: gui (gtkdialog) improvements.
I really like this version better. Looks better and has added a checkbox for optional
use of icanhazip. Only thing I wanted to change was not to use icanhazip by default
(line 17 and 18 in the new version)

from

[ -f $HOME/.ipinfo ] && . $HOME/.ipinfo || CB0=true
to

[ -f $HOME/.ipinfo ] && . $HOME/.ipinfo || CB0=false
Attachments
ipinfo.gz
Version from latest slacko with gui improvements and by scooby tiny edit of
icanhazip to be non-default
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

rerwin

#316 Post by rerwin »

Scooby,
Thank you for all of those recommendation. They are exactly what I need.
Only other thing I changed in frisbee was /etc/init.d/frisbee. I wanted the part under

if [[ $1 == "start" || $1 == '' ]] ; then
to be indented for more readability
I left that unindented to facilitate keeping track of my updates to the file. But now I can clean that up, too.
Do you have the same intent for network_tray? I had to change it to compile with gtk3.
function names are changed.
I have not gotten into fixing network_tray. I just stole pemasu's Wheezy version of the executable, since DD is based on wheezy. Upgrading network_tray is a separate project, which we might work via PMs. I wonder if anyone one else (01micko?) has addressed the gtk3 issues already.
Also I had to add
/usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun
/usr/local/bin/defaultconnect
/usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor

I'm not sure they are considered part of the network_tray package?
Since DD appears to be using only frisbee for network management, I made /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun a link to frisbee's connect function. But I did not notice that the other 2 are needed in that case.
Also gtkdialog updated to use gtk3, not either part of network_tray or frisbee

Maybe They should be in a special alphaOS compatibility package?
Or maybe in a generic package for distros other than DD, which can use the existing network_tray executable.
What is wag-profiles.sh and is it affecting frisbee in any way?
It is only part of the Network Wizard and is not used by frisbee.
Note:
in /usr/local/bin/frisbee line 413

<action>rxvt -e wpa_cli -i $INTERFACE&</action>
rxvt is explicitly called, alphaOS uses another default terminal.

could this call be substituted with something like /usr/local/bin/defaultterminal ?

else I could provide rxvt as a symlink to default terminal. which is best?
I agree that it should not use a specific terminal emulator. Is it really necessary to use one there, instead of a dialog of some sort? I am open to using a different method.
About ipinfo:
I did extract one version from the latest slacko with the new comment

#131126 zigbert: gui (gtkdialog) improvements.
I really like this version better. Looks better and has added a checkbox for optional
use of icanhazip. Only thing I wanted to change was not to use icanhazip by default
(line 17 and 18 in the new version)

from

[ -f $HOME/.ipinfo ] && . $HOME/.ipinfo || CB0=true
to

[ -f $HOME/.ipinfo ] && . $HOME/.ipinfo || CB0=false
I think I will use yours as a new basis for the DD version, to get zigbert's fix, but with the icanhazip stuff removed, as was requested.

saintless

Re: Frisbee for DebianDog and other distros

#317 Post by saintless »

rerwin wrote:Here are two special packages that work for me in DebianDog. The packages are unlike any of the usual package types.
Thank you, Rerwin!
Next DebianDog update will include it. We have deb package here but it includes both frisbee and tray + dhcpcd + some more files from previous frisbee. Deb package for both DebDog versions just for information. The one for OpenBox will be removed if Fred use network_tray.sh from /usr/bin:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... 86_jwm.deb
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... penbox.deb

Attached extracted deb (folder Debian is only for deb packages).
Unfortunately some files inside /lib and /usr/libexec were missing in your archives and were left from previously installed frisbee deb package converted from Fred. After uninstalling the previous frisbee the new one does not work because of missing files.
Other changes made:
- dhcpcd moved in /usr/sbin
- in /usr/lib/frisbee/func changed "defaulttexteditor" occurrence to leafpad.
- in /usr/bin/frisbee changed rxvt occurrence to xterm. (we can create symlink to defaultterminal or something else if you like).
- moved /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-network_tray to /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks and removed /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd folder.
- /etc/init.d/frisbee - removed Debian at the beginning to start this way instead (otherwise install warning appears):

### BEGIN INIT INFO
### END INIT INFO
I will test the system with new frisbee package few days and write back here.

If you prefer to keep frisbee and frisbee-tray in separate packages it is OK but not needed for DebDog.
Also no need to include /root/bin folder and /usr/bin/frisbee-tray link. It is something we use to be able to reinstall frisbee without setting up again frisbee-tray. It should be custom setup for each WM and linux system.

Toni
Attachments
frisbee-1.2-20140602_i386_jwm.tar.gz
(108.58 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

Scooby

#318 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote:I have not gotten into fixing network_tray. I just stole pemasu's Wheezy version of the executable, since DD is based on wheezy. Upgrading network_tray is a separate project, which we might work via PMs. I wonder if anyone one else (01micko?) has addressed the gtk3 issues already.
I was wondering if there was icons with better resolution for network_tray?
Since DD appears to be using only frisbee for network management, I made /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun a link to frisbee's connect function. But I did not notice that the other 2 are needed in that case.
AppRun calls defaultconnect but if AppRun is just a symlink then it would not be needed.
Alphaos uses connman by default maybe I could us AppRun to let them exist side by side?

defaulttexteditor is used in the window that appear when you press the "Diagnostics" button.
And in that window called "Frisbee - Wireless Diagnostic Tools" you press "Edit Configuration".
I agree that it should not use a specific terminal emulator. Is it really necessary to use one there, instead of a dialog of some sort? I am open to using a different method.
SInce it starts wpa_cli in a interactive shell I believe it is nescessary.

Scooby

#319 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote: For a 64-bit OS, I think the same modified-dhcpcd source code should compile for it. I have not tried that, so assume you would work out any kinks. I think I posted the source code earlier in this thread. Let me know if it needs modification for 64-bit compatibility. You also need the script, dhcpcd_dropwait_option.
I now have compiled a test version of dhcpcd 6.3.2 with dropwait support for 64-bit OS.
It seems to work OK?

However it doesnt use the dropwait feature and when I looked at script
/usr/bin/dhcpcd_dropwait_option I think I found a inconsistency.

The diffs I found at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=662522
( a bit far down )
are from Sun 04 Nov 2012, 22:55 so maybe this are not the latest ones?

Anyway in script there is check for --dropwait

DWOPTION="$(dhcpcd --help | grep -o '\--dropwait' | cut -f 1 -d ' ')"
but in the diffs I found there is only

+	    "              [-r ipaddr] [-s ipaddr] [-t timeout] [-j dropwait]"
That means --dropwait would never be found.
( I of course tried to replace with -j in dhcpcd_dropwait_option and it seems to work for me :D )

Are there later diffs somewhere?

David Andrew

#320 Post by David Andrew »

Hello,

I'd like to report a problem with Frisbee 1.2 for Debian Dog (Openbox).

I choose and configure my wireless connection from the list. It then says to wait a minute as it tries to configure the connection, but after waiting a long time nothing really happens. It still saves the chosen connection into the profiles. Occasionally when I reboot, the connection icon in the panel will light up to show a successful connection, but it is very slow and temporary. After 2 minutes it will cut off and not re-connect. This is the exact same behaviour on the few occasions that it does connect. Most of the time upon reboot it will simply not connect at all.

I then installed the updated 1.2 version with the .deb provided here, but the exact same behaviour as described above persists. I also have a 3G dongle. By plugging it in it will show up as an icon on the desktop, but there is no way to select it from the Frisbee 1.2's third window option, there are simple no connections to choose from whatsoever. The only difference I've seen with 1.2 is that the connection icon in the panel looks different.

I'd like to point out that I use Frisbee with Puppy Lighthouse and there are no problems with it, the same applies to my 3G dongle.