Can't uninstall Opera 2

Using applications, configuring, problems
cabisson

Can't uninstall Opera 2

#1 Post by cabisson »

This topic was briefly touched upon in a prior thread, but I thought it might get more attention as a new topic now.

I'm running Puppy 1.0.4, installed to the hard drive.

I accidently (I love my Firefox) installed Opera 7.54, through PupGet. I didn't even realize I'd selected to install it until after the fact, and beyond the point of no return.

Now when I click a link, or click the Mozilla icon, that darned Opera starts up. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and uninstalling again several times through PupGet, all to no avail (or relief). I've also Googled the situation, and can't seem to find uninstall directions for a non-Windows system.

I'm trying not to let my true colors show through, but I am new enough to the Linux family to not know what to delete from where to uninstall it manually.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

-Corey

cabisson

oops!

#2 Post by cabisson »

Whoops! I just noticed the actual date on the other thread I referenced, and it wasn't as old as I thought it was! Shoulda just added this on there, sorry!

-Corey

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Pupget has always proved rock solid for me. Installed and uninstalled Opera loads of times. However Barry did mention that there were some issues with pupget - can anyone find the ref point?

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

unistalling Pupget version of Opera

#4 Post by guest »

Hi,

I simply did the pupget uninstall then rebooted the system - I have Chubby Puppy installed on a 512 meg memory stick.

The reboot seemed to be the important element in getting rid of Opera.

Ndry

#5 Post by Ndry »

That is what I should have done but I didn't :( And now, it isn't in the list of things you can remove. Should I install it again, remove it again and reboot?

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

Actually I would consider your experience a 'bug' in the Opera PupGet.

The Opera installation changes the symlink to Mozilla and Firefox to point to Opera.

My preferred browser is Opera, but if I click on Mozilla, It's because I WANT to start Mozilla.

My solution? Change the Symlinks to point to the right browser. That way you can have Opera and Mozilla living happy side by side.

Delete the offending Symlinks

Code: Select all

/root/.usr/local/bin/firefox
/root/.usr/local/bin/mozilla
/root/.usr/local/bin/netscape
and create new Symlinks pointing to the right browsers:

Code: Select all

# replace <target> with the location of the mozilla executable
ln -s <target> /root/.usr/local/bin/firefox
ln -s <target> /root/.usr/local/bin/mozilla
ln -s <target> /root/.usr/local/bin/netscape
I am sorry I cannot provide you with the target path as I am not running puppy right now. I will come back this evening and will update the post with the correct path.

Ndryusyua

#7 Post by Ndryusyua »

Thanykuo