Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 01:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 29 of 39 [576 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, ..., 37, 38, 39 Next
Wilbert

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 19:20    Post subject:  

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468

Quote:
I've always grappled with one major issues when using lightweight DE's like XFCE or LXDE: Video tearing. For me there is nothing more annoying then seeing tearing when watching video in my local video player or in flash player, and seeing ugly tearing when scrolling in firefox.

WOW , not just us with this problem

This guy fixed it with a program called compton

https://github.com/chjj/compton

Can anyone get this working in Fatdog for us to try ?

Thankyou
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 23:14    Post subject:  

sounds promising would like to have many features listed to make fatdog more polished looking I added a package like that to open box with in stilax years ago and it really adds to the visual appearence with see thru windows.
Wilbert

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2014, 06:57    Post subject:  

Found a couple of Bugs

In the flash player settings if you click the play tab it doesn't show any options and the settings box vanishes.

In the Nvidia settings powermizer it is permanently set to adaptive clocking and if you change it to maximum performance and restart it just reverts back to adaptive clocking.

Apparently adaptive clocking disables Vsync even if you have Vsync enabled.

Neutral
JustGreg

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 09:50    Post subject:
Subject description: More on Ethernet Startup Issue

I did some experiments. I used the older GUI network wizard to set up eth0 interface. It connected without a problem and DHCPCD was operating. I marked the configuration to be used at boot. A reboot showed that DHCPCD was not working.

I looked at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint file. I saw that network section was calling rc.network script file. I changed the reference to the file /etc/rcd./rc.network-wizard. This is the older code used by many puppies. I rebooted and DHCPCD started and eth0 interface was working.

I hope this is a help.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 14:53    Post subject:  

JustGreg - I missed your earlier posts. Thank you for reporting this, I will look at it. It definitely should be working and eth0 should not depend on wpa profile!

Wilbur - thank you for pointing that out. I'll see if I can package that for 631.

The flash player crash is a known problem, it has been around for a while. My guess is 631's glibc is too old. I'm running exactly the same flash player with 700 (glibc 2.19 here) and it doesn't crash.

For nvidia powermizer oddities - I wouldn't know how to answer that.

Sage - I'm in between places. So no point telling where I am Laughing As for kirk - you can make your guess, just look at his username Wink

If I miss any of your posts or you think I didn't respond to them, please feel free to repost (I do miss posts from time-to-time).

cheers!

gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 15:30    Post subject:
Subject description: More on Ethernet Startup Issue

JustGreg wrote:
I did some experiments.
I reported last year on how FD64 handles some of this startup LAN processing. There were several issues.

FATDOG team: Kirk "fixed" an early FD64 issue where FATDOG would use either of the 2 possible LAN adapters for use. For example, if you have 2 LAN adapters on our motherboard with only one of them havng an active LAN cable plugged, it would start service on the active LAN cable. This problem was introduced when the team changed and moved to version 63+.

We can hope, looking forward, that couple of the reports are resolved in next version. And, Kirk's resolutions are re-enabled.

JustGreg

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 16:31    Post subject:  

Thank you, JamesBond and GCMartin for the reply. This computer has only one ehternet adapter on it, just, eth0. So it is not the multiple adapter problem.

One other bit of information, before I made the change to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint, the system at start up and shutdown would report that network wizard would handle the eth0 interface for those stages.

I hope this helps and if you want me to try some thing, please tell me and I will do it.

Thank you again for your efforts.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 21:52    Post subject:  

Thank you JustGreg.

Here is an updated network-setup, please try it, and if works manually, you can symlink rc.network back to /usr/sbin/network-setup.sh and see if eth0 gets activated at boot.

cheers!
network-setup-fix-630.pet
Description  Updated network-setup
pet

Download 
Filename  network-setup-fix-630.pet 
Filesize  6.9 KB 
Downloaded  21 Time(s) 

gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 22:58    Post subject:  

Thanks
Nice work, tested on a single adapter machine. Will Kirk's network updates be added back in for multi-adapter motherboards?

Wilbert

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun 2014, 07:25    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:

Wilbur - thank you for pointing that out. I'll see if I can package that for 631.

The flash player crash is a known problem, it has been around for a while. My guess is 631's glibc is too old. I'm running exactly the same flash player with 700 (glibc 2.19 here) and it doesn't crash.

As a work around for 631 there is webpage at macromedia that lets people change the flash settings online instead of via the control panel.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

jamesbond wrote:
For nvidia powermizer oddities - I wouldn't know how to answer that.

It turns out that it's not a fatdog problem but the driver itself as others have reported the powermizer problem.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/752400/geforce-drivers/-ubuntu-nvidia-settings-saves-everything-except-powermizer-settings/

jamesbond wrote:
If I miss any of your posts or you think I didn't respond to them, please feel free to repost (I do miss posts from time-to-time).

cheers!

Wilbert wrote:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468

Quote:
I've always grappled with one major issues when using lightweight DE's like XFCE or LXDE: Video tearing. For me there is nothing more annoying then seeing tearing when watching video in my local video player or in flash player, and seeing ugly tearing when scrolling in firefox.

WOW , not just us with this problem

This guy fixed it with a program called compton

https://github.com/chjj/compton

Can anyone get this working in Fatdog for us to try ?

Thankyou

Could you take a look at this compton as it's beyond a newbie like me and the tearing like the others is driving me crazy to the point that fatdog is not usable as a daily desktop.

Thanks
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun 2014, 17:33    Post subject:  

Quote:
Could you take a look at this compton as it's beyond a newbie like me and the tearing like the others is driving me crazy to the point that fatdog is not usable as a daily desktop.

That's not going to help. Video tearing is a video driver problem. I guess from your past couple posts you have an nvidia card. If you're using the included nouveau driver, you might try turning on GLXVBlank. Create a file called /usr/X11R7/lib64/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf and put this in it, and then restart X:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia card"
    Driver "nouveau"
    Option "GLXVBlank" "true"
EndSection

I don't have a nvidia card so I can't really test any of that, you could also try the proprietary Nvidia driver if that doesn't help.

If you have tearing with an intel video chip:

Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "TearFree"    "true"
EndSection

I think there's similar options for ATI as well.
JustGreg

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun 2014, 19:16    Post subject:
Subject description: No Joy with Ethernet and new pet

I down loaded and installed the pet for the new network-setup.sh. I did not remove the symlink. I did check and it is pointing to network-setup.sh file. I edited the rc.sysint file to use the symlink.

I did a right mouse click on the WPA-GUI icon in the tray to get the network wizard (aka network-setup.sh) and selected the IP configure and eth0 as the interface. The correct file eth0 was generated in /etc/network-setup/ip.

I re-booted and the boot message said eth0 was started. Once x-windows was up, I checked the status of eth0 with ifconfig. The interface eth0 was down (i.e. ifconfig did not report on it). WPA-GUI was disabled for all tests. I did try this several times, just to make sure it was not working.

Question for you, how does network-setup.sh know which interface to start? Maybe I am missing a marker file or something. Thanks again for the new pet. Hopefully, the problem can be solved. At this time, I have ethernet working so we can work the issue as necessary.

JustGreg

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun 2014, 20:15    Post subject:  
Subject description: I got eth0 to work with the new script.

I open the network-setup.sh script and read the code. I did notice that you could use it at anytime to start a network.

In a terminal window, I tried network-setup.sh start eth0. It failed to start the network. After some more reading, I decided to remove the files in /etc/network-setup/access (eth0-manual1 also eth0-manual2). This was the file that was causing the problem. After killing dhcpcd and setting eht0 down, I tried network-setup.sh start eth0 again. It worked Very Happy

The problem was I created the manual configuration files (eth0-manual1) in trying to get things to work. The code found the files and proceeded as eth0 was a wireless interface. So if someone reports the same problem, then the solution maybe to clear out the old file with your network wizard.

A suggestion for you to consider: Change the menu items to reflect which one is applicable to only wireless. For example, change the second menu item "Configure access profile" to "Configure wireless access profile". It may help to prevent this type of problem.

I also noted that opening network wizard and not doing anything would kill eth0.

I hope this helps.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun 2014, 23:33    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
Thanks
Nice work, tested on a single adapter machine. Will Kirk's network updates be added back in for multi-adapter motherboards?

I can't find the post related to that. Please give the link so I can review what you mean.

Quote:
I open the network-setup.sh script and read the code. I did notice that you could use it at anytime to start a network.

Yes.
"network-start.sh start" - start all configured network interfaces
"network-start.sh stop" - stop all configured network interfaces
"network-start.sh activate $iface" - activate (=start) interface $iface (eth0, eth1, wlan0, etc)
"network-start.sh deactivate $iface" - deactivate (=stop) interface $iface (eth0, eth1, wlan0, etc)

Quote:
A suggestion for you to consider: Change the menu items to reflect which one is applicable to only wireless. For example, change the second menu item "Configure access profile" to "Configure wireless access profile". It may help to prevent this type of problem.

The reason why it is called "configure access profile" is because not only wireless can have access profile, in the (admittedly rare) situation a *wired* network may need access profile too.

Quote:
I also noted that opening network wizard and not doing anything would kill eth0.
You are talking about the old network-wizard, right? This is a well-known problem. It's one of the reasons why I wrote network-setup.sh. Network-setup sh is less than 900-lines long but does everything that 4500+ lines of network-wizard.sh (and wag-profiles.sh and rc.network) does.

Thanks for testing Greg.

JustGreg

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun 2014, 07:39    Post subject:
Subject description: More on Network-setup.sh

Quote:
Quote:
You are talking about the old network-wizard, right? This is a well-known problem. It's one of the reasons why I wrote network-setup.sh. Network-setup sh is less than 900-lines long but does everything that 4500+ lines of network-wizard.sh (and wag-profiles.sh and rc.network) does.

No, it happens with network-setup.sh. If you open network-setup.sh in terminal mode with the menu and just exit, I found that the dhcpcd stopped. Using network-setup.sh activate eth0 re-started everything as it soon.

Yes, I agree your version is good. It is very readable so someone can follow what is being done. The information on the command line mode options is appreciated. The options make network-setup.sh more valuable for trouble shooting. Like anything new, there is a learning curve. Especially, one is used to doing the process another way. Thanks JamesBond for the help and both Kirk and your efforts.

Page 29 of 39 [576 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, ..., 37, 38, 39 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: