Game Editor

Play with your Puppy.
puppy_apprentice

Game Editor

#1 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Introduction

Game Editor opens a new universe of effortless game creation:

Game Editor is an outstanding and unique software product. It is the only multimedia authoring program created that allows a developer or hobbyist to engineer a game once, and then export it to run on multiple operating systems. Game Editor produces software that runs on Windows (95/98/Me/2000/2003/XP/Vista/7), Pocket PC, Handheld PC, GP2X, Windows Mobile-based Smartphone, Linux, Mac OS X, iPhone and iPad!
The program offers a friendly environment for the beginning, for the intermediate and for advanced developer.

For the beginner, Game Editor can be used to create simple games by applying easy point and click strategies. No programming is required.
For the intermediate user, the built in scripting functions offer clear cut access via a single mouse click.
Advanced programmers will also appreciate the raw power and speed. The experienced 'C' Language programmer will discover that the robust Script Editor is the door to the vigorous heart of the 'C' programming language. It allows developers who are already familiar with 'C' to immediately harness the powerful features of the language.
http://game-editor.com/Main_Page

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Hey looks fun.... seems simple download and run stuff..... tried it on windows will see on linux later.

cheers for finding this

Mike

puppy_apprentice

#3 Post by puppy_apprentice »

I had this on my HD. I've downloadd it a few years ago, when GE was Shareware, now is GPL. I was cleaning my HD and have found it again.

You can make game on Windows and export it for Linux and vice versa.

puppy_apprentice

#4 Post by puppy_apprentice »

I want to make a puppy package with GE, but i have one problem. Menu shortcut doesn't work. GE is oppened for second and disaapear. GE needs a file editor.dat. But when launched from menu it seems that it could not find this file. I've tried to make a script like this and save it in /my-applications/bin/:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cd /root/my-applications/gameEditor/
./gameEditorLinux
and use it in .desktop file, but without success too. Is there any option (i've tried PATH, without success too) in .desktop file to launch those kind of apps. Maybe it is better to store gameEditorLinux and editor.dat in one of bin folders? But i want to store all files in one folder.

puppy_apprentice

#5 Post by puppy_apprentice »

i want to delete this and next post but i don't see delete button
Last edited by puppy_apprentice on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

puppy_apprentice

#6 Post by puppy_apprentice »

//

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

well i tried your commands from terminal on slax 6 and lucid and both ran just fine even without opengl so not sure what joke funnies are going on with puppy.
The files were actually on an ntfs partition.

mike

puppy_apprentice

#8 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Yep it is working from console. But if u make a game-editor.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Game Editor
Comment=Cross Platform Game Creator
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Exec=/root/my-applications/bin/gameEditor.sh
Icon=/root/my-applications/gameEditor/geditor.png
Categories=Development
and save it in /usr/share/applications and rebuild JWM menu entries you will get Game Editor menu entry in Utility menu. And if you try to launch GE from this it will not working.
Attachments
desktopfileandicon.tar.gz
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

hmm cannot comment on jwm menus since I don't use it.

Does your mini script work from command line?

What about drag and dropping the mini script to desktop ?

mike

puppy_apprentice

#10 Post by puppy_apprentice »

hmm cannot comment on jwm menus since I don't use it.
This .desktop file is freedesktop standard and should work in other DE i think but nevermind.
Does your mini script work from command line?
game-editor.desktop doesn't work from console. Bash script from earlier post works and launching directly by clicking GE icon works too.
What about drag and dropping the mini script to desktop ?
I will make desktop icon and check if i could launch GE from icon on desktop. But i don't know if it could be good method for .pet. The standard is to install with menu entry. I can only make .pet without menu entry but it will be almost the same like standard zip package from GE site.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

This .desktop file is freedesktop standard
yes it is but JWM is not... conversion is done through hacky scripts ....

Hard to tell what to do to debug from this end...anything show up in /tmp/xerrs.log?

mike

puppy_apprentice

#12 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Hard to tell what to do to debug from this end...anything show up in /tmp/xerrs.log?
Nothing about GE. I think i will give up. Installation is so easy so .pet isn't necessary.

Geoffrey

#13 Post by Geoffrey »

I've found a problem, if I create a bash script in "/root/my-applications/bin" it can't be found, if I copy or move a bash script to "/root/my-applications/bin" it becomes a empty directory, but it's ok if I move or copy to "/root/my-applications", this is in X-Slacko.
Attachments
Screenshot1.gif
(94.05 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
Screenshot2.gif
(125.42 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Nice weird stuff... just tried running qemu in lighthouse pup and it insists that the binaries in front of me are not found.... I'm not keen on these puppy magic tricks :D

mike

puppy_apprentice

#15 Post by puppy_apprentice »

@Geoffrey

I've unzipped GE package to

/root/my-applications/gameEditor/

Chmoded gameEditorLinux. And I can launch GE via

1) gameEditorLinux icon,

2) from console

./gameEditorLinux
3) and script

#!/bin/sh
./gameEditorLinux 
from eg.

/root/my-applications/bin/gameEditor.sh
But i can't launch it from menu, could you Geoffrey make a shortcut in your xfce menu and try to launch GE from it. I think that if i try to launch GE from JWM menu GE can't find editor.dat file. If u change the name of editor.dat file and try to open GE in console you will get segment fault error.
Attachments
menu.png
(43.32 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

Geoffrey

#16 Post by Geoffrey »

I've made a pet that appears to work for me, has me beat as to why all the problems at first, I have a feeling that it was remembering the last file/folder and not refreshing correctly.

The pet is large as it contains windows, mac executables, stuff could most likely be removed that isn't used.

GameEditor.pet 30.9 MB (30,855,625 Bytes)

gameEditor.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Game Editor 
Comment=Cross Platform Game Creator 
Icon=/root/my-applications/gameEditor/geditor.png
Exec=/root/my-applications/bin/gameEditor.sh
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Categories=Development
GenericName=Game Editor 
NoDisplay=false
gameEditor.sh

#!/bin/sh
./gameEditorLinux
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]