How to make a pet or sfs of Google Earth 64?.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Eathray

How to make a pet or sfs of Google Earth 64?.

#1 Post by Eathray »

Hi

I've downloaded and extracted the .deb of Google Earth 64, which only comes in .deb or .rpm... no .tar that I've been able to find.

It looks like I'm going to have to manually move all the files to where they go, then repackage it for a sfs or pet for lighthouse/fatdog.

Kind of at a loss where to begin with this...

Not even exactly sure what questions to ask, aside from not knowing where many of the files go.

Could some folks help me develop and implement a plan here?

Thanks in advance

Eathray

Note:
I should have mentioned I'm in the 5xx series for Fatdog and Lighthouse: Fatdog64-520 Lighthouse64-514b.
Last edited by Eathray on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Eathray

#2 Post by Eathray »

Well...

okay, so i've extracted the deb files on the official package from google, and I see a lot of .so stuff, which I'm pretty sure go in lib64, and there's a bin file, which obviously must go in bin, but there's a lot of other files that I'm not really sure about. Should I just start putting things where I think they should go? I'm wondering if the end result will be understood by the system, or if I'm going to need a bunch of sym links telling files where to look for stuff...?

I tried something else as well. I found a deb to tar conversion tool online, so I uploaded the deb and converted it to a tar, downloaded it, and clicked it. The cpu spiked a bit, then nothing... so it tried to do something, but didn't. I right-clicked it and made it executable just in case... still nothing.

I guess my thought here is I need to get it working here in lighthouse before I do anything, then I can make a package for it.

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Thanks

Eathray

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

No deb2pet utility in there ?.....

All I can do is quote what I do with debs... I open them with Xarchive and then extract the lot to a premade folder.

That folder then can be converted to a pet or sfs with the dir2pet and dir2sfs (if there is one)... everything should be in the correct place as determined by the deb.

A quick install method would be to extract to / but in that case there would be no uninstall available.

Of course lighthouse might not be so straightforward..I have a copy for testing qemu but I find it most confusing.

mike

Eathray

#4 Post by Eathray »

Hey Mike,

I can always count on you :wink:

Well, if there's a deb2pet here... I don't know where it is (you mean as a part of lighthouse of course) but I'll look for it.

Where should a pre-made folder go to? root?

It seems like there should be a install process that takes place, but I don't really get anything. I know that the pet manager in lighthouse generally knows how to deal with debs because I've installed them before... but not this one. I tried some tar install code in a console, but that didn't do anything either.

?

The files for this thing all just remain in a folder... nothing really goes out there into the system.

Thoughts?

Eathray

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

hmm ok so its a stubborn deb then ...... do you have a link to the one you are trying and I'll see what its about.

mike

Eathray

#6 Post by Eathray »

Yup,

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

I tried the 64bit deb because I don't know the first thing about rpm, which is also available.

Note:
I just read on a slack blog that this supposed 64bit gig from google is actually 32 bit in a 64bit wrapper... so I just mounted my 64-32 bit compatibility sfs and will try again. I don't know if this is reliable info or not.

Eathray

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

welll xarchived opened it and I made an sfs...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... rth-64.sfs

menu entry might not work but should run from the command line to test

mike

Eathray

#8 Post by Eathray »

What was that, Mike?

I couldn't hear over the sound of how awesome you are 8)

I'm going to delete my mess and try it out.

be back soon.

Eathray

Eathray

#9 Post by Eathray »

well,

Nothing.

I tried it in Lighthouse64 and Fatdog64 and it returns an error. Failed to load child process. No such file or directory. This is referring to /usr/bin/googleearth-bin.

I went there, and there is a sym link to the file which is actually in /opt/google/ etc. Is a sym link not good enough? does it need the actual bin file to be located in /usr/bin?

Eathray

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

symlink should be no problem.

No file or directory...I got that today trying to run 32 bit QEMU in lighthouse pup which made me think of your earlier wrapper comments.

You're going to make me boot lighthouse...I can tell... well perhaps in a bit or tommorrow when I am in a suitable mood for the thing :D

Well making the sfs was no problem...now we just have google earth to sort out. :D

mike

Eathray

#11 Post by Eathray »

Appreciate it Mike... and hey... booting Lighthouse isn't a bad thing :P Tazoc did a pretty amazing job on that rig.

I'll have to wait for you and others... I have no idea how to fix this one.

Eathray

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

Eathray wrote:I tried it in Lighthouse64 and Fatdog64 and it returns an error. Failed to load child process. No such file or directory. This is referring to /usr/bin/googleearth-bin.

I went there, and there is a sym link to the file which is actually in /opt/google/ etc. Is a sym link not good enough? does it need the actual bin file to be located in /usr/bin?
I have never booted Lighthouse64 and have very little experience of the 64bit distros, but I can tell you that in the 32bit ones you have to add another symlink otherwise you get that error concerning googleearth-bin not found even though it is in the path.

So in /lib you have to add a symlink named ld-lsb.so.3 which points to ld-linux.so.2 (which in fact is also a symlink to another lib).
Oscar in England

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

ah that would make quite a difference if its looking for that.... symlinks save the day perhaps. In that case it probably will want a desktop file making and thats that.

Hmm have not got around to testing myself... I find lighthouse slightly horrible but perhaps its just got too many puppyisms for me and I like fast distros.

I found sfs_load broken when trying to load to ram due to some change in free.

Well you probably will have this running before me.. :D

mike

Eathray

#14 Post by Eathray »

Hey Oscar,

Thanks for jumping in. I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Eathray

Eathray

#15 Post by Eathray »

K,

OscarTalks said:
So in /lib you have to add a symlink named ld-lsb.so.3 which points to ld-linux.so.2 (which in fact is also a symlink to another lib).
So I found ld-linux.so.2 in /lib32, and made the sym-link ld-lsb.so.3 then put it in the same location. No result.

I'm wondering if this link needs to be in /lib64 since that is the primary location for libs in Lighthouse64. Suggestions?

Eathray

gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Eathray

I saw your post, here, back in March. I just reviewed to see there were no responses.

But, you have taken some reasonable steps to address that by showing us a pathway from deb to system installation steps. As a result you have shared your finding in this pathway.

You may want to send a PM @JamesBond for his insights and advice to this thread. He is most helpful to many of us in this 64bit area. This becomes increasingly important as more and more Puppylanders are getting 64bit in various configuration platforms, thus the increase in 64bit PUPs are rising.

Hope this helps in getting a good pathway approach workable.

Eathray

#17 Post by Eathray »

Thanks GC,

Yah, I did ask about this issue a while back, so now with a few helpers maybe we can just get a package put together for Lighthouse and fatdog so nobody has to scratch their heads at this level again :D

I will ask James Bond to jump in if he has some time.

Eathray

jamesbond

#18 Post by jamesbond »

download google earth-64bit.deb
mkdir /tmp/xxx
cd /tmp/xxx
undeb /path/to/google-earth.deb
chmod 0755 /tmp/xxx # very important, do this or you are screwed
mkdir lib # note lib, not lib64, if you use lib64 you are screwed
cd lib
ln -s ld-2.11.1.so ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3 # for Fatdog 521
ln -s ld-2.13.so ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3 # for Fatdog 631
cd /tmp
mksquashfs xxx google-earth.sfs
copy the sfs somewhere, load the sfs, open terminal, type google-earth, enjoy.

If you want to make pet the instead of mksquashfs, use dir2pet (you have to rename xxx to something with a number e.g. xxx-630).

Note: Works fine in 631. Launches in 521, but crash when trying to download something. Choose only one of the ln -s above, for your appropriate version (ie don't do both).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Eathray

#19 Post by Eathray »

Thanks for dropping by, James.

I know you're super busy right now so much appreciated.

I do not 100% understand, but I'm going to give it a go and try to make something work here.

Eathray

Eathray

#20 Post by Eathray »

Okay, so thanks to Mike, Oscar, GC and James...

Google Earth now works over here, or at least tries to (it doesn't really like my graphics card, but I can just upgrade my driver I think).

So Mike built an .sfs (works)...
Oscar mentioned the sym-link issue (correct)...
GC suggested I talk to James (sound advice)...
and James identified the files and paths that needed linking (works).

In addition, Mike helped me understand what James was saying on the side, quoted here with permission:
What you have so far ONLY seems to be lacking the famous link you need........ his info I believe is sound.

If you go with what you have now the you would start up rox and go into /lib .... home...go up...into lib

then look for the file
ld-2.13.so OR ld-2.11.1.so

then right click on it ...choose link...

and then name it ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3
This deal works in Fatdog64-520 and Lighthouse64-514b, so I'm assuming it will pretty much work in all Fatdog64-5xx and Lighthouse64-5xx, with maybe slightly different lib names, or not.

Last item... is it possible for us to build a .sfs that includes the sym-link(s) needed?

Thanks again to all,

Eathray