How to configure DVD Puppy Save file to use the whole drive?

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

How to configure DVD Puppy Save file to use the whole drive?

#1 Post by rmcellig »

Here I am with my old Dell 3000 (2GB RAM with a Celeron processor) desktop. I have tried several distros on it and for the most part they are slow. I can hear my internal HD chugging away.

At the moment, I have full install of Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 on my sda1 partition. Crunchbang is on my sda2 partition. I tried running puppy from DVD and it flies. It's fast and responsive. My only issue is that I keep running into low personal storage issues even if I create a 2GB save file.

I run Audacity, Chromium, Filezilla and Asunder and that's about it. I use the versions that come with 5.2.8. Is it possible to use my sda1 partition as my save file so that I never run out of space, or is there a better way to go about this?

I have my Audacity Data folder out of my Root directory. I don't want anything saved in my root directory if I am to go back to the frugal way.

With the Full install, is Puppy still running from RAM or is it now HD dependent like any other installed distro?

If I can overcome this frugal bottleneck I keep running into then I would be very happy using this old Dell.

By the way, my persistent shares are all working great with YASSM so at least I have that working.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!!!

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Lucid has the use a partition as a save option..might suit you.

2GB seems a lot...is chromium causing that?

software loads to ram to run... what's happening with a frugal (assuming enough ram) is that the source of the binaries are in ram rather than being read from the hard drive which is faster to do so. Also temp files in program use are also handled in ram... in short for the most part ram is playing the part of a hard drive removing a data bottleneck in data execution.

mike

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

I think it may be chromium and audacity that are causing the save file indicator to always go into the red.

I'll try the use partition as a save file option and see how that goes. When I was running from a frugal install, my save file was originally 1.25GB in size. Almost immediately I started getting low RAM warnings so I increased the size to 2GB with the same result.

I still have the 2GB save file that I can start up from. What should I look out for when it comes to what is draining the save file? Should I be using a lower resource browser?

I'll keep playing around and see what I come up with. I would like to startup from the DVD and just use Puppy without having to worry about save files etc... It's fast and works for me if I can get these issues resolved. :)

Thanks!!

Bird Dog

Save File

#4 Post by Bird Dog »

Hi rmcellig when I mouse over my save file on the task bar of my full install precise 5.6 it shows 15 gb personal and free space 13 gb. When asked to make a save file I declined somehow. Then your free space is as large as the partition.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

If running from a dvd either multisession or no save at all then your ram becomes the save space... that can run out quickly.

Bird Dog..that does sound like you chose save to partition option ......

mike

Bird Dog

Save File

#6 Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks mikeb.

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

My sda1 partition is about 55GB in size. Could I not just create a large save file? Something like 10 0r 20GB in size or does this not make sense.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Hmm you want sense do you.

Well sense comes in the form of the save folder which has finally been adopted for puppy but that would only be in new releases. Just tidier then the save being in the root of the partition which is not so clever for co existing.

Big save files....well big to backup and since they have been known to corrupt it does seem a lot of eggs in one basket even after going through the measures needed to create one.

Why not just make a save partition something to your liking..say 10GB just for the pup. I am not 100% if the present setup allows the pup_sfs to be in the same partition either.....

mike

rmcellig

#9 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks Mikeb!!

I agree with you regarding pup save file size. Maybe another approach I can take is to see what is taking up all the space in the save file and how to fix that.

What should I look for that might be causing problems? Like I said previously, I tried saving the audacity-data folder outside the root directory.

Galbi

#10 Post by Galbi »

rmcellig wrote:What should I look for that might be causing problems? Like I said previously, I tried saving the audacity-data folder outside the root directory.
Look here, with Gdmap you'll easy find the guilty:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

rmcellig

#11 Post by rmcellig »

I tried gdmap before but what I mostly found was chromium related. I wasn't sure if I could just delete the files, most of which resided in the /root/.cache directory.

Galbi

#12 Post by Galbi »

Ask Google if it's possible to change chromium chache location.
I don't use it so can't tell.
With Firefox and Qupzilla it easy.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

dk60902

#13 Post by dk60902 »

I'm running 5.2.8 off a CD on an old Presario 2195us Laptop. I have a 512mb save file. I use Firefox as my browser. Initially, I was noticing the same thing in that I would get low storage messages. What helped me was limiting my cache size on the Firefox Browser to 4 mb or less. I'm not sure how to change it on Chromium. Next time I'm on my Windows Box, I'll see if there's a setting in Chrome to change it. Once I set the cache to a low limit, I don't get those low memory warnings.

Other than the native programs that come with lucid, I only have Firefox and flash installed. Anything I save goes outside my save file.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

apparently chrome cache size is a command line option I was told...user friendly stuff.

mike

rerwin

#15 Post by rerwin »

rmcellig,
Just a suggestion: Since you are starting fresh with lucid 528, why not begin with the latest version, for which there is some hope of continued support/maintenance. I am the person providing support, so "5.2.8.6" is the version that would get fixed if any problems arise. Look for its thread in the Puppy Projects section of the forum (Lucid Puppy Revitalized).

If the standard variants of it suffice, you can stay with them. However, the most comprehensive variant is "lupusuper2" which supports the same hardware as precise pup, including dialup modems, and also supports the recent developments on file compression options (xz). If you plan to invest a lot of your time in a lucid installation, either of these will be more satisfying than the older 528-005 or earlier.
Richard

rmcellig

#16 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks dk60902 !

Is there a better leaner browser than Chromium that will allow me to change the cache size/location easily? The only reason I use Chromium is because I use Google Drive and I am not sure if the other browsers support uploading folders to Google drive. I would gladly change if there were better options. I'll also create a new 512K save file and see how that goes.

The only apps I am using on this Dell 3000 are:

Audacity (editing and recording my radio shows)
Filezilla (transferring files to my hosting server)
A web browser (browsing checking email etc...)

That's basically all I want to use this computer for.

Thanks rerwin!

I will check out what you suggest and see if I like this option. Really appreciate the help in this thread!!

rmcellig

#17 Post by rmcellig »

I'm running off a new 512MB save file and so far everything is OK. When I do a gdmap of the root directory, I see that .packages is taking up a lot of space. Can I move this folder out of the root directory and just link back?

puppyluvr

#18 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
.packages should just have text files in it.
Nothing big.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

rmcellig

#19 Post by rmcellig »

So I can just move it to my mnt/home folder and than link back to the root directory

Thanks!!

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Could it be the older system that left pets in packages... chromium is big if so.

Alternatives...well you are dealing with google products and all that entails so not sure on compatibility of other browsers. They may not charge for the browser (yet) but its aimed at hardware that is paid for. I use older firefox and anything google based is a non starter but that might have changed now.

Generally though just keep an eye with gdmap.... once you have a handle on space guzzlers life does get easier.

mike