DGC modem driver compiled for Slacko 5.3.3? SOLVED!

Using applications, configuring, problems
mouldy

DGC modem driver compiled for Slacko 5.3.3? SOLVED!

#1 Post by mouldy »

Did rerwin ever compile a DGC module for Slacko 5.3.3 which I am showing has kernel 3.1.10? I can not find it with search if he did.

I had Zoom 3095 modem back some years and like all my modems here on my hilltop, it succumbed to lightening. I swore never to buy another since they are PITA to compile the necessary driver and make work in linux. I am on dialup for most part so takes effort to download necessary stuff to compile the driver myself.

Well I didnt buy another Zoom, but I recently bought two cheap Lenovo modems that apparently have same problem as Zoom 3095. I had thought they were normal like the Rosewell, or USR, or the generic Chinese clones with the conexant chip, but alas not. They are clones of the Zoom and need the DGC driver.
Last edited by mouldy on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

mouldy,
I am glad to hear you are still using dialup. But I am finding with the newer 3.x kernels, modem drivers are not keeping up.

However, there is good news for the DGC modems. They do not actually need the dgcmodem driver. They are driven functionally by the cdc_acm driver that seems to continue to be included in new kernels. It turns out that the dgcmodem driver merely adds the "modem sounds" for it, emitting the sounds through the sound card.

The modem should work just fine; you just won't hear it.

I have not been working with slacko, leaving it to 01micko.

All that said, the dgcmodem driver should compile for kernel 3.1.x, since it is in precise (k3.2.44). I just now tried my Rosewill RNX-56USB on Slacko 5.7 and it appeared to work. You just have to watch the pupdial output to know when it is ready for action.

If you really need the modem sounds, send me a PM with the links to the files needed for compilation (slacko iso, devx, kernel source), and I will see what I can do.
Richard

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

I believe you are mistaken. Some of the modems dont need the DGC driver. The Rosewell, the USR, and the generic Chinese clone modem with the conexant chip for instance do not need the driver. As you say, they just dont make the modem sounds but do connect.

However the Zoom 3095 and the Lenovo modems do need the driver. Puppy simply doesnt see them as a modem without the driver compiled and installed. You can try to make it use the ttyACM0 node but it wont without the properly compiled module available for the particular kernel being installed. Puppy ignores it and says no modem installed. Its not like the old serial modems where they pretty much work whatever you do as long as you point the dialer to their location.

I am visiting friend with cable internet tomorrow, so will try to remember to take along a usb drive and download what I need to compile the driver. Its just big hassle to try to download 100+mb with dialup.

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

Wont compile. Errors out.

(cd /lib/modules/3.1.10-slacko_4gA/build && make "CNXT_KERNELSRC=/lib/modules/3.1.10-slacko_4gA/build" "M=/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules" "CC=gcc" clean)
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux'
rm -rf *.o GPL/*.o *.ko GPL/*.ko *.mod.c GPL/*.mod.c .*.cmd GPL/.*.cmd .tmp_versions .tmp_versions /lib/modules/3.1.10-slacko_4gA/build/.tmp_versions/dgcusbdcp.mod Modules.symvers GPL/hda/Modules.symvers Module.symvers GPL/hda/Module.symvers modules.order GPL/hda/modules.order Module.markers GPL/hda/Module.markers
(cd /lib/modules/3.1.10-slacko_4gA/build && make "CNXT_KERNELSRC=/lib/modules/3.1.10-slacko_4gA/build" "M=/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules" "CC=gcc" modules)
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux'
CC [M] /usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules/mod_dgcusbdcp.o
/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules/mod_dgcusbdcp.c:263:36: error: 'SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED' undeclared here (not in a function)
make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules/mod_dgcusbdcp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

mouldy

#5 Post by mouldy »

Rerwin sent me the patched source files. Compiled easily and modem now works fine.

rerwin

DGC modem driver provided for slacko 5.3.3

#6 Post by rerwin »

Mouldy has sent me his compiled driver so that I can package it for general use. He also tested with the precise pup "firmware" package, which now seems to be unnecessary because 5.3.3 already contains its version of it. (Could you verify that, mouldy?)

So, to activate certain DGC USB modems (such as his) or to add modem sounds for some other modems using ttyACM0 (or such), install the attached pet package and reboot.
Richard

EDIT: Added a "depmod" command to register the added module, so it can be recognized. Moved the module from the normal puppy location to one required by slacko, in order to have it be retained and used.
Attachments
dgcmodem-1.13-k3.1.10-slacko_4gA.pet
Additional driver for ttyACM modems in slacko 5.3.3 only.
(8.35 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 03:26, edited 6 times in total.

mouldy

#7 Post by mouldy »

I tried this module pet on fresh instance of Slacko 5.3.3. Both with firmware pet and without. Didnt work either way!???

The instance of Slacko 5.3.3, where I compiled the module, works fine, using modem now.

Have PM'd Rerwin, sure some stupid little thing I am not doing correctly. He is the expert. I havent messed with this since several years ago when I had a Zoom 3095. I know back then without any firmware upgrade, this driver always worked fine when I directly compiled it. Only sometimes if I just copied an already compiled module.

Big hint to anybody who hasnt already bought one of these DGC modems, look for one like the Rosewill that is recognized and works in linux without the Linuxant driver. It wont make noises without driver but will connect and function just fine. The Zoom and Lenovo versions definitely need the driver for Puppy to see them as modem.

mouldy

#8 Post by mouldy »

I tried rerwin's last dgc pet above on an install of 5.3.3 Slacko that has never had any attempt to have this modem installed. After TWO reboots, it took and works fine.

Then just for kicks I went back and booted into an instance of 5.3.3 Slacko that I created yesterday only for testing his first pet. Without installing the last pet, just like I left it yesterday with first pet installed, it somehow took on this boot up. So works either way. Just takes more than one reboot for whatever strange reason.

Whats probably a bit sad is 5.3.3 is now superseded so if anybody did want to use one of these modems in Slacko, most likely they would have a newer version with different kernel and still have to compile driver themselves. The patched source files do however compile on 3.x.x kernel, whether on latest 3.x.x kernel, who knows.