Who here can relate to EMF-handicapped

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Minni

Who here can relate to EMF-handicapped

#1 Post by Minni »

I'm trying to smooth the road, while attempting to get my puppy questions answered on this forum. The best way, is to find out who here can best relate to the EMF-handicapped, and bear with me while I continue to get nowhere in a handbasket?
(video explanation below)

My situation is that often my posts are delayed because of my EMF-caused health issues - including inflamed blurry eyes starting to cataract, as well as severe migraines and bodywide inflammations brought on by computer exposure.

Because of this, I use slower thinkpads, since I've gone thru various systems & laptops which caused me even more major health issues than these thinkpads.

And so I turned to Puppy, attempting to install it, but stymied by it not connecting to the Net.

My situation is like the below math-scientist from Australia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLO25nyauDg

He too suffers from computers, and I wonder what his exact computer setup is, since I suspect that might make my situation more tolerable. There are those who speak of grounding mats, and so forth, but hey, I already tried a Stetzer power-strip, a Quantum "shielder", a supposedly zero-emf monitor which proved baloney, and alot more. I'm sick to death of wasting time, energy & money on products which turn out to be scams.

P.S. I'd appreciate an answer to my original question only. I'd appreciate not getting referrals to some sort of EMF protection equipment
(however well-intentioned)
...not unless you can say that you've been in the shoes of the above Australian guy (or better yet, know how I can contact him). Because there's dead-end solutions, and there's real solutions. The former probably outweigh the latter a millionfold. :|

Barkin

#2 Post by Barkin »

Some people who allegedly have EMF-sensitivity are actually organically ill, (rather than psychosomatic), but are wrongly attributing their real physical illness to electricity.

If you have "bodywide inflammations" then you have systemic-inflammatory-disease , ( e.g. autoimmune disease ), which could be treatable with medication, but is not treatable by avoiding computers and other electrical devices.

NB: the sun, and other stars, produce radiowaves , so people have always been exposed to radiowaves.

Double-blind testing reveals people who allegedly have EMF-sensitivity cannot actually tell if the electronic device is on or off ...
wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity wrote:"several double-blind experiments have been published, each of which has suggested that people who report electromagnetic hypersensitivity are unable to detect the presence of electromagnetic fields and are as likely to report ill health following a sham exposure, as they are following exposure to genuine electromagnetic fields"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

Barkin

#3 Post by Barkin »

cf.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza#Etymology wrote: "The word Influenza comes from the Italian language meaning "influence" and refers to the cause of the disease; initially, this ascribed illness to unfavorable astrological influences"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza#Etymology

We now know Influenza (aka flu) is a seasonal virus , but for decades it was wrongly attributed to be from "outer space" , ( the only correlation being the disease and astrology both have repeating seasonal patterns ).

Moat

#4 Post by Moat »

That's part of it (inflammation) ^^. Illness from EMF exposure of the small amount generated a few feet away by a laptop is, frankly, doubtful.

The real problem is likely the result of computer use being a sedentary activity (i.e. - very little physical activity involved). The human body is an incredibly dynamic machine that's firmly meant to be up and moving about - heart pumping, fluids moving to and fro, the circulatory system carrying much needed nutrients to cells - and carrying away the toxic, inflammation-provoking normal byproducts of cellular metabolism. Just sittin' there, for any length of time, just doesn't produce sufficient blood flow to feed the cells and and flush the bloodstream... gotta' get up and move around!

The older I get, the more I notice the shorter the stints at the computer I'm able to withstand (or doing anything that's sedentary, for that matter), before beginning to feel lousy. I step away and do something else that's more active, and soon feel better. When younger, I could sit sedentary for far longer (painting, detailed mechanical work, etc.)... no more. Part of getting old... we're only designed to last ~35-45 yrs., anyways - so beyond that age, such difficulties are par for the course. In some ways... even welcome! :)

Do a test - fire up the laptop and carry it around with ya' while you go about more "normal", up-and-around daily activities. I can about guarantee you won't feel any worse than doing that stuff without the lappie!

Bob

Barkin

#5 Post by Barkin »

Moat wrote:Do a test - fire up the laptop and carry it around with ya' while you go about more "normal", up-and-around daily activities. I can about guarantee you won't feel any worse than doing that stuff without the lappie!
But then they would know when it was on , so it wouldn't be a blind test.

A program which activated the computer randomly , and recorded when it was on, would be a better idea.
Then they could compare a record of their symptoms with when the computer was on and see there is no correlation.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Radiation might have been a factor with a CRT monitor but LCD only chuck out visible light.

What I do get is very sore eyes and eventually something resembling a sty if I have to deal with too many white background pages for too long. The physical relieve I get by disabling page colours and going for some blue tint is real enough and usage times then become unlimited.
I have even resorted to sunglasses for comfort.

White backgrounds are considered 'professional' and that's an example of geek stupidity or something based on documents printed on white paper... paper REFLECTS light... monitors are chucking it out so much more intense ... my eyes are more sensitive to light I know... its a family trait.. but glare is glare and uncomfortable. A factor of computer comfort that seems to get overlooked.

Even for terminal use green text can be much more tolerable than white... oh yes I forgot...puppy has its terminal with a white background...that's just plain nasty but then thats puppy :D

mike

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

mikeb wrote:...puppy has its terminal with a white background...
My Slacko-5.7.1 has a "Console" with a BLACK background. :D

Barkin

#8 Post by Barkin »

mikeb wrote:What I do get is very sore eyes and eventually something resembling a sty if I have to deal with too many white background pages for too long. The physical relieve I get by disabling page colours and going for some blue tint is real enough and usage times then become unlimited.
I have even resorted to sunglasses for comfort.
You can invert the values , so it's white text on a black background ...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=596635#596635

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

yes discovered how to deal with white terminals years ago otherwise I would have dumped linux back then :D

mike

solo

#10 Post by solo »

So I'm wondering, if these ailments are solely caused by electromagnetic fields, then isn't the solution quite simply to have all your peripherals (keyboard, monitor, mouse etc) connect to the computer by means of bluetooth and/or wifi, and place the computer in another room from the one you work in?!
You could simply turn it on and off with a remote.

Or am I oversimplifying the problem here?!

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

well since bluetooth and wifi are sources of electromagnetic radiation don't think that would help.
Actually if there is no earth or a poor one then the metalwork does tend to give out spikes induced by the switch mode power supplie(s).

A curious subject really....now I wonder what plasma TV's emit?

mike

Sylvander

#12 Post by Sylvander »

@Minni
What happens if you go near/underneath high-tension power distribution lines?

Les Kerf

Re: Who here can relate to EMF-handicapped

#13 Post by Les Kerf »

Minni wrote:I'm trying to smooth the road...

...P.S. I'd appreciate an answer to my original question only...
When we aren't able to smooth the road, sometimes we can at least put springs in the wagon.

I am certainly not qualified to help with your problem, all I can suggest is that when you do start a thread, to make mention that there may be a delay in responding.

Also, one thing I do know about EMF is that the law of inverse squares does apply. This means that if you double the distance, the EMF drops to 1/4 of the original value. Make the print as large as practical and get as far away from it as you can.

Best wishes,
Les

tlchost

#14 Post by tlchost »

Les Kerf wrote: Also, one thing I do know about EMF is that the law of inverse squares does apply. This means that if you double the distance, the EMF drops to 1/4 of the original value. Make the print as large as practical and get as far away from it as you can.
Avoiding rf/emf devices, the limiting factor may be the length of the arms.

Barkin

#15 Post by Barkin »

tlchost wrote:Avoiding rf/emf devices, the limiting factor may be the length of the arms.
or the prohibitive cost of a chain-mail one-zie ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdrqdW4Miao :)

Ted Dog

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

LOL if you are in the USA and like the mountains and simple living tbere is a EMF free zone caused by US Government In North East part of West Virginia. Everything is wire shelded no RF allowed for a wide area over a few counties. No cell phones no Radio stations etc.
So do the same everything wired or true IR.
Open laptop and disconnect wifi daughter board. or buy a server style PC they have greater RF shelding and no built in wifi.

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

EMF is a real problem and only going to get worse. As OP will have figured moving away from sources are going to be the only way to gain peace he did not say where he is living but if he is in a city apartment building he is so over loaded by EMF he has no control over any nearby source like PC will push him over Into problems.
Try a EMF vacation. Just got pics of my hill billy sister living in WV on the edge of the EMF free zone looks wonderful. :D There is some nice tourist attractions within that zone.. With actual old timey payphone booths 8)

Ted Dog

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_S ... Quiet_Zone

Also placing your computer inside a microwave oven cuts EMF to nearly zero. I store my backup hd and one laptop inside a unused microwave oven just incase of a solar flare or overhead nuke. That is why Im a big fan of run in RAM and multisession save OS in DVD or BluRay. EMF killing electronics have no effect on CD or DVDs media.

Ted Dog

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

OP could also try mylar sleeping bags less than 20 dollars to cut EMF reaching his body. IT works. try a mylar chip bag and test if someone can call you right back on your cellphone if you place it into a chip bag and fold over openning. Most mylar bags are see thro and flexible wonder if just covering and folding over a large bag like the sleeping bag over laptop would work.. :wink:

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

microwave oven eh ...

well EMF... are we talking microwaves... UHF..... of the stuff produced by high voltage spikes...magnetic only ... cathode rays... ultra voilet?

Lots of items quoted and a vast range of radiation types all of which can have widely differing effects from warming sheep to wobbling water atoms and twanging yer dna.

I find the most harmful radiation is from TV transmitters spewing lies , junk and propaganda into the minds of billions :D

mike