upgrading jady's pupwin98 to 2.11

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
amish

upgrading jady's pupwin98 to 2.11

#1 Post by amish »

note: you can in fact get the necessary files to do this without downloading TWO 60-70mb files. pup4dos does what pupwin98 does... but i already have pupwin98 (which is puppy 1.07 so you know) and i still like it a lot. here's how to use it with the 2.11 files:

*assuming you don't have a puppy 2.11 cd:

you'll have to extract the files from the .iso file. in 2.11 (catch 22, but good for future versions?) this can probably be done in iso editor? in windows, 7zip can extract iso files. in puppy 1.07, .iso files can be mounted with qemu or dosbox. see other forum / wiki posts for details.

*assuming you do have a puppy 2.11 cd:

1. copy the pup_211.sfs on the cd to \

2. rename \puppy\vmlinuz to vmlinuz.1
copy the vmlinuz on the cd to \puppy

3. copy initrd.gz from the cd to \puppy

4. copy menu.lst to menu.txt
open menu.lst in a text editor:
change "image.gz" to "initrd.gz"

that should do it!

so far, the reasons i am considering upgrading my machine from 1.07 to 2.11:

* puppybasic goes from older version to 2.5 (it's a .pup too though i think)
* better hardware support (i have a usb key that didn't work with 1.07)
* the taskbar now includes icons / for show desktop / console / editor
* the taskbar now shows how much free ram (or is it ramdisk?) you have
* iso editor !!!! (about time)
* some of the control panel apps have dramatically improved
* uh, new kernel ;)

the newer version IS slightly slower than 1.07. on old hardware, it's something to consider. however, 2.11 will work on a wider variety of newer *and* older hardware. if i make it so dos grub can boot both, i'll post the instructions here.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

JaDy

#2 Post by JaDy »

Interesting. Upgrading PupWin98 to Puppy 2.11 has been a goal for me too. Your work will be helpful. Another goal is upgrading from an older installation to newer, with special consideration to migrating pup001 user data to pup_save.3fs. Meanwhile, I needed Puppy on my new laptop. Tried the CD 2.11 version but couldn't use it because of the tap-to-click "feature" that caused havoc between me and my computer. QEMU help me solve that problem.

Okay, I'm rambling, so that's enough for now.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

amish

#3 Post by amish »

JaDy wrote:Upgrading PupWin98 to Puppy 2.11 has been a goal for me too. Your work will be helpful.
i'm thrilled- pupwin98 is the only decent linux that can run on my machine.if you hadnt made it, i likely wouldnt know that puppy is great- it would be just another distro that i can put on other machines but not mine :( i wouldnt be using basic in linux, i wouldnt know half the linux stuff i know now, i'd be 10x more frustrated with linux in general. barry and mu have helped tons also, but thank you so much for the pupwin98 zipfile.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

Nevermore

#4 Post by Nevermore »

it works!!
it did work wonderfully, after a few trials..
however i have a problem, how can i get rid of windows98 logo???
--
/sbin/Nevermore

amish

#5 Post by amish »

Nevermore wrote:however i have a problem, how can i get rid of windows98 logo???
oh but i love that!
windows 98!!!!!11111 (with some stupid evil browser)

SSSmmmmeeeaaarrrr
scroll
scroll
scroll...

Puppy!
seriously, if msdos.sys (in dos 7 it's a text file) is there, you can add this line:

Code: Select all

logo=0
...or was it "off"?

and make sure you edit msdos.sys with LEAFPAD (dunno if geany works or not) to preserve the needed ascii newlines that dos uses :)

dont worry about it, skip all that and make a zero-length file in c:\ (or /mnt/home) called logo.sys that should let you see the (sometimes really necessary) puppy boot again.

Nevermore

#6 Post by Nevermore »

amish when i do it i get a menu asking me if i want normal, safe mode, commandline and so on :D
--
/sbin/Nevermore

amish

#7 Post by amish »

that shouldnt happen...

my guess is you saved msdos.sys without CR+LF ... editing in mp (or maybe geany) will do that. editing with leafpad can do that too, the file needs to be saved (try Save As) in leafpad, on the right side change LF to CR+LF (make sure leafpad doesn't get stuck that way in the future too if you use it for a lot of linux files, since they are just LF)

also, you might have "ruined" msdos.sys... the one on your 98 floppy Should be enough if you copy it over

plus you don't want most of the stuff in autoexec.bat or config.sys which is why i suggested (since you don't run windows!) to remove config.sys and all of autoexec.bat except for cd \puppy and the line that runs either: puppy.bat or the line from puppy.bat that calls grub.

anyway, good luck with it

Nevermore

#8 Post by Nevermore »

no amish
my msdos.sys was fresh and never opened tru leafpad
the one opened by leafpad was disposed but i think was unnecessary
i solved the problem this way:
read this page http://www.computerhope.com/msdossys.htm
then edit the msdos.sys FROM msdos edit
adding: BootDelay, BootMenu, BootMenuDefault, BootMenuDelay, logo depending on what we want it to do.
this way is easy to set up for autostart!
--
/sbin/Nevermore

earlytv

#9 Post by earlytv »

Looked at how pupwin98 went to pup 2.11 and used those ideas to upgrade to browser linux 501.
I use this to give win 98 a newer firefox browser.