Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Abdulrahman

#501 Post by Abdulrahman »

In idiot terms what is the difference between a SFS and PET file and is one better than the other.

:?:

Ted Dog

#502 Post by Ted Dog »

Abdulrahman wrote:In idiot terms what is the difference between a SFS and PET file and is one better than the other.

:?:
Lol the big supporters of each will let you know.. however SFS is ready to merge into filesystem and like wise can be removed in a running system. PET Is installed and can be uninstalled. PET contain scripts for install if needed, SFS do not need install scripts. SFS types are usaually large and self contained think Wine, Development tools, large Office software and databases. Pets are for smaller items or SFS sized items that need special install scripts. PET can contain SFS if need be.

neerajkolte

#503 Post by neerajkolte »

I ain't no brainer when it comes to Linux so I can relate to Idiot terms.
Here is what I understand.

A pet file will install a software by copying, replacing or modifying files in system drive.
A sfs will just place a layer over the system virtually.

There is no performance difference in either way. (in my humble opinion but I may be wrong)

The difference is some times modifications done by a pet file remain even after uninstalling a pet. In case of sfs it doesn't touch the original operating system files so unloading an sfs returns the system to previous state. That's why it's safer to try and load sfs made for another puppy than a pet file.

A pet once installed need not be installed again on next boot.
A sfs needs to be loaded each time you want to use it unless you tell it to load at each boot. (I think there was also limit to number of sfs ( 8 ) that can be loaded on the fly, but I don't know if it's still valid)

Hope this helps.

- Neeraj
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Abdulrahman

#504 Post by Abdulrahman »

Thankyou both for explaining. :)

Bindee

#505 Post by Bindee »

Local Language in fatdog setup

en_GB

or

en_GB.UTF-8

:?: :?: :?:

Stripe

#506 Post by Stripe »

WOW!!

just found the sandbox and lxc features, now to try and replace my debian home server/VM setup on my LAN with fatdog.

thanks guys

kirk

#507 Post by kirk »

Doesn't Fatdog take donations ?
Generally no, but patches and fixes are always welcome. Some folks make packages. James has occasionally accepted hardware donations, mainly ARM stuff I think. All my computers are laptops, except one that's connected to my TV and it's not really viable for testing, so I can't even use cards. Maybe James could. Anyway, thanks for the thought.

gcmartin

#508 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Stripe
Stripe wrote:... just found the sandbox and lxc features, now to ...
You may find this FATDOG facility of particular interest as it offers to allow you to run "production VM guests" and "testing VM guest" as many as you like. It is all too simple to implement. Advantage: to my knowledge, sandbox is one alternate environment, while the document opens avenue to many simultaneous environments while taking advantage of your CPU's component for system acceleration.

Here to help

Bindee

#509 Post by Bindee »

kirk wrote:
Doesn't Fatdog take donations ?
Generally no, but patches and fixes are always welcome. Some folks make packages. James has occasionally accepted hardware donations, mainly ARM stuff I think. All my computers are laptops, except one that's connected to my TV and it's not really viable for testing, so I can't even use cards. Maybe James could. Anyway, thanks for the thought.
I ment money donations such as Bitcoin rather than hardware to go towards you and james staying stocked up on energy drinks to work on fatdog.

If not thanks for your guys hard work it is appreciated.

:P

Yoni

#510 Post by Yoni »

This pipeline fix is awesome , i've not had one single glitch , tear or ripple.

I'm surprised more people have not commented on it.

Abdulrahman

#511 Post by Abdulrahman »

Excuse my linux ignorance but is there reason why Fatdog is based on Puppy rather than Tiny Core linux.

I ask as Tiny core runs in ram and you can install apps with out the need for pet files.

Explanation in idiot terms please. :D

neerajkolte

#512 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi Yoni,

The reason I haven't commented on pipeline fix is because I've not had one single glitch , tear or ripple even without it. :wink:
My machine is i3 3220 with 6gb ram. I don't have a separate graphics card, I am using onboard graphics. But it's good to know the fix will be included in next release. By that time I might have a nice graphics card.

The only problem I had with FD64-631 was when I USB tethered my droid it failed connect. I just replaced network-setup.sh from 630 to 631, and problem was solved.

@ Abdulrahman,
Fatdog is not "based" on puppy, it has "Evolved" from puppy. So that's why it's still a puppy in the heart.
As far as I know it is based on T2. Built with puppy woof scripts.
I really don't know difference between Puppy and Tiny Core.

If you like, open a thread with name "Difference and Similarities Puppy vs Tiny core", in Off topic sub section. There we might get more answers.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Abdulrahman

#513 Post by Abdulrahman »

My question was aimed at James and Kirk as the developers and there choice rather than a generic question based on differences. :)

jamesbond

#514 Post by jamesbond »

Neerajkolte is right. Fatdog originally was a Puppy derivative, but as it matured it grew farther and farther (in terms of implementation) from Puppy/Woof but continues to keep the Puppy spirit. Today's Fatdog is its own independent distribution, no longer considers Puppy Linux as its "upstream", but freely exchanges ideas and applications with Puppy Linux where possible and makes sense. For more details: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/history.html. That being said, I'd like to emphasise that Fatdog owes its existence to Puppy Linux. Both myself and kirk were Puppy Linux users long before Fatdog was conceived, and if Puppy didn't exist, neither would Fatdog.

As for why Fatdog originated from Puppy and not Tiny Core, I thought it is obvious by looking at their birth dates:
---
Puppy Linux was started in 2003.
Fatdog was started in 2008.
Tiny Core was started in 2009.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Bindee

#515 Post by Bindee »

Without wishing to put words into Abdulrahman mouth i'm guessing by his comment on standard linux installs over PET files he means as Fatdog has progressed and envolved rather than where is started to why it hasn't moved onto tiny core as it's base rather than T2.

I wouldn't want FatDog to change to standard installs as it's more secure that people need to use PET files or load DevX to change or install anything.

Your average script kiddie trying to root a FatDog box would be totally lost when there commands and scripts don't work.

:mrgreen:

Franciscus

#516 Post by Franciscus »

Can anyone tell me how to disable and remove the firewall package?

I'm not on a network and my router has a decent firewall.

thankyou.

gcmartin

#517 Post by gcmartin »

Franciscus wrote:Can anyone tell me how to disable and remove the firewall package?...
Try this

Code: Select all

/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall stop
This firewall taskbar icon really does need a "turn off" feature as @01Micko provides.

Hope this helps

Billtoo

#518 Post by Billtoo »

Franciscus wrote:Can anyone tell me how to disable and remove the firewall package?

I'm not on a network and my router has a decent firewall.

thankyou.
You can do that in the fatdog control panel, the multicolored cube in the panel starts the control panel.
Attachments
controlpnl.jpg
(61.13 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

DrDeaf

Google Earth Fails

#519 Post by DrDeaf »

I haven't found any earlier post on this, so does anyone successfully use Google Earth with FD64? I generally use 630.

The only package I find to use is: google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb

I haven't been able to make it run. Any help will be appreciated!

Franciscus

#520 Post by Franciscus »

DOH! { Face Palm }

How embarrassing , To think i went past the firewall status icon because i thought it was a network activity log. :oops:

Thank you.