Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 00:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
PeasyWiFi - a reliable WiFi connection manager
Page 1 of 8 [106 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun 2014, 06:58    Post subject:  PeasyWiFi - a reliable WiFi connection manager  

PeasyWifi is a WiFi connection manager. It is a front-end for the command line procedures discussed here and may work better for you than other Puppy networking tools. Look for it in the system tray (the green "bars" icon) and in the Network menu.

Please click the Help button. It has important information about your PeasyWiFi configuration file. (To find hidden files, click the Eyeball icon on the ROX-Filer toolbar.)

Read here for more detailed instructions.

The Encryption feature is for people who object to their home Wifi passphrase being stored in plain text on their computers.

Users with old Puppies or small displays can run PWF from the desktop instead of the tray.

1. Drag /usr/share/applications/peasywifi.desktop onto the desktop.
2. Use Right-click > Edit Item to change the title.

--------------------------------

PWF v2.2 lets you install the Windows driver for your adapter using ndiswrapper. See the instructions here.

------------------------------

PWF v2.4 can build profiles for enterprise networks like eduroam using PEAP. Read the discusion here.

There are many variations of this protocol and you will need specific details for your target network. Read here and here for some examples.

Once you have made the profile, click Check and manually edit it. Or if you have a working wpa_supplicant.conf file, just drop it into the profiles folder and restart PWF.

-----------------------------

PWF v2.5 can assign a static IP address to your WiFi adapter. This may be useful if you have an unstable network or hardware that experiences dhcpcd dropouts. See the instructions here.

--------------------------------

PWF v2.8 can now manage both your wired Ethernet ports and WiFi. Read here.

---------------------------------

Read the discussion here about using Disconnect to kill off bogus IP connections.

If you have problems with irregular connections or dropouts, try the command "iwconfig wlan0 power off". For iwlwifi adapters, see the hint here. There are also reports that a rate reduction will work with "iwconfig eth1 rate 1M".

If one of these works for you, make an auto-connect script in /root/Startup and add the command.

---------------------------------------

How to get rid of Frisbee

1. The official instructions: run the command: frisbee_mode_disable

2. My experience in Slacko 5.7: do a clean re-install of Puppy. See the discussion here.

3. Use static IP.

-------------------------------------
peasywifi-3.0.pet
Description  Updated 2014-08-31 (final)
Improvements to the Help
pet

Download 
Filename  peasywifi-3.0.pet 
Filesize  14.8 KB 
Downloaded  86 Time(s) 
screenie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   114.1 KB
 Viewed   437 Time(s)

screenie.png

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 07:01; edited 107 times in total
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun 2014, 19:10    Post subject:  

I offer that you change the "Passphrase field" header on the "Encrypt Tab" to read 'Read the Help on the Connect tab'. Minor, but, we know new user oversights.

Nice touch.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun 2014, 19:40    Post subject:  

Making suggestions about the UI does not constitute a test report.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 05:44    Post subject:  

PeasyWiFi v1.5 is posted above. Please read the update notes before installing.
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 06:18    Post subject:  

My test results so far based on v1.4 pet:

slacko 5.3.3t
Worked perfectly (once I realised how to use it properly)

RacyNOP532
Worked perfectly

Puppy431
Worked perfectly

Everything went without a hitch except for me not having noticed the Help button for the help file (or the "Read the help" sign, or the big arrow pointing to the "Help" button Confused ). I started by clicking on 'scan' and it said "Interface wlan0 is not active" (It is eth1 on my PC). Then I read the help file (should have done this first) and saw the note re using I/F button to confirm what my wifi interface is called. Sure enough the I/F button offers the clues by listing the valid interfaces. Opened root/.peasywifi and corrected the "export interface" to eth1. Clicked "Profile", added required details, and clicked "Make". Restarted Peasywifi as requested and it automatically showed my network profile name listed, clicked "Connect" and it hooked up correctly.

Suggestions and comments:
1) Just as a matter of interest i noticed that /root/.peasywifi does not appear until after peasywifi is first started (in other words it is not loaded by the .pet, but created by the firstrun of peasywifi - not a problem, it just confused me for a moment).
1) Could possibly add a button to the gui to restart itself after the "Make" is done.
2) Maybe make it possible for the gui to automatically guess whether the appropriate interface is ethx or wlanx.

I will be watching this pet with interest - I have a good use for it in mind. The autostart function of v1.5 sounds good - I will do some more testing.

EDIT - should have mentioned these tests were all on live CD boots (no savefiles)
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 07:29    Post subject:  

Thank you for testing. This is exactly what I need.

Quote:
Just as a matter of interest i noticed that /root/.peasywifi does not appear until after peasywifi is first started (in other words it is not loaded by the .pet, but created by the firstrun of peasywifi - not a problem, it just confused me for a moment).

Good idea. I will add this in the next version.

Quote:
Could possibly add a button to the gui to restart itself after the "Make" is done.

I spent some time on this issue. The problem is that the drop-down Profiles list cannot be updated on-the-fly in Gtkdialog3. You must re-run the program. (This may be possible in the new version.) Since you already have a button on the system tray, it seemed just as easy to restart the program that way instead of adding another button to the UI. I will give this some more thought.

Quote:
Maybe make it possible for the gui to automatically guess whether the appropriate interface is ethx or wlanx.

I would like to do this, but I don't know how to tell if eth1 is a Wifi interface or a second ethernet port. The problem with automatic guessing is that the program will eventually guess wrong. Picking the right interface is important.

Bill
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:02    Post subject:  

Test result based on version 1.5:

Carolina 1.2 (with Battleshooters 3.15 kernel). Disabled frisbee, rebooted, ran v1.5 to create /root/.peasywifi. Edited it to reflect the correct interface (eth0), made a WPA2 profile with my ssid and passphrase and connected. Fast and clean.

Only hitch I see so far is that you have to know your ssid. Would it be possible for the scan to show both open and encrypted available networks? I'm going to take the laptop to a friends house and test it on their rather problematic wireless later and I'll have to use Frisbee or SNS to get the ssid as it stands now (as I see it.. or did I miss something?).

If it connects there I'll make a joyful noise Smile

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:02    Post subject:  

Thanks for testing. This is helpful.

Marv wrote:
Only hitch I see so far is that you have to know your ssid. Would it be possible for the scan to show both open and encrypted available networks? I'm going to take the laptop to a friends house and test it on their rather problematic wireless later and I'll have to use Frisbee or SNS to get the ssid as it stands now (as I see it.. or did I miss something?)

Here is my position on this issue. If you don't know the SSID, then you won't know the passphrase either. So your friend still has to provide you with some information. It's just a question of being one piece of information or two.

Frisbee or SNS may give you the SSID, but they won't let you connect without the passphrase.

Personally, when I scan for a public WiFi site, I don't want to get a long list of every other protected or hidden site in the neighbourhood.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:39; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:19    Post subject:  

Hi rcrsn51

Tested on my HP550 laptop with Broadcom wifi.

I too would like a Scan button to show all wifi signals in the neighbourhood...possibly in addition rather than replacing the current scan/show only open networks?

I also prefer an indication on boot that a wifi signal has been successfully acquired like Frisbee gives (optionally).

Not quite sure what the USP is for peasywifi - its a nice addition to the Puppy wifi armoury but may confuse newcomers who are already confused by the 3 current contenders - but it could maybe replace sns if it scanned and displayed all available signals??

Worked fine and established a wpa2 connection once I'd used sns to tell me what my ssid was Confused

Cheers
peebee

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:33    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
I too would like a Scan button to show all wifi signals in the neighbourhood...possibly in addition rather than replacing the current scan/show only open networks?

Sorry, but that's not going to happen. It you want lots of irrelevant (IMHO) information then use another tool.

Quote:
I also prefer an indication on boot that a wifi signal has been successfully acquired like Frisbee gives (optionally).

Here is the problem with that feature. People sometimes complain that a connection tool auto-detects a DIFFERENT network than their own because it has a stronger signal. PeasyWifi will let you auto-connect into your OWN network at startup. You get to make the decisions, not the connection tool.

Quote:
Worked fine and established a wpa2 connection once I'd used sns to tell me what my ssid was

So you know your passphrase from memory but not your own SSID ? Wink
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 15:20    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Not quite sure what the USP is for peasywifi - its a nice addition to the Puppy wifi armoury but may confuse newcomers who are already confused by the 3 current contenders

I do see a very useful application for this utility - I would like to be able to preconfigure Puppy wifi for friends who I cannot visit - so I have no way of running a scan. Peasy potentially gives me a way of manually 'building' the exact profile I need, and autostarting it. (Like using the accuracy and control of the commandline, but with the convenience of a GUI).

Furthermore, there might be the possibility of changing Peasy to read the important parameters from a text file (which is one of my long term aims). If that were the case, my preconfiguration would consist of providing a text file containing the following:

SSID
Passphrase
Choice of Open/WEP/WPA/WPA2
Wifi adapter identification info (eg eth1 or wlan0)

If this were possible I would only need to coach my friend to find the appropriate info and I can guarantee building the right parameters and functionality into Puppy before I post them the CD.

Already, using Peasy in it's current form, the only information I lack is the ethx/wlanx parameter - and that is not a huge barrier to overcome.

I have wondered previously if it might be possible to use the MAC address of a wifi adapter instead of the ethx or wlanx designation. If that were the case all required parameters could be preconfigured.

I will do some more testing with v1.5
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 16:07    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:

Sorry, but that's not going to happen. It you want lots of irrelevant (IMHO) information then use another tool.

snip..

So you know your passphrase from memory but not your own SSID ? Wink

Actually, yes. CenturyFink just changed/foobarred up the friends connection and I do indeed know the password but not the new ssid. That said, peasyWIFI did an excellent job of connecting there once I supplied the information (using SNS). Overall I too see the value of a simple good tool. Just would like to avoid calling on another tool to fill in the chinks.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 16:28    Post subject:  

When you scanned using SNS, how did you know which SSID was your friend's and which was some nearby access point? Or did you have to guess?
robwoj44

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 17:08    Post subject:  

Polish translation for peasywifi-1.5
peasywifi.tar.gz
Description  polish translation for peasywifi
gz

Download 
Filename  peasywifi.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.98 KB 
Downloaded  35 Time(s) 
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 17:47    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
When you scanned using SNS, how did you know which SSID was your friend's and which was some nearby access point? Or did you have to guess?

Next nearest access point is 5 to 8 miles away so no guessing. Typical for where we live. SSID was also set up as their road and fire number but it has a lot of digits which I don't usually remember.

Edit: I doublechecked and it is only about 3 miles to the nearest access point but through very hilly country. At my house, on the edge of our small town, I generally see about 3, all of which I know, with only mine with enough signal to really use.

Page 1 of 8 [106 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: