New Optical Mouse

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
RSH

New Optical Mouse

#1 Post by RSH »

Hi.

After 14 Years of heavy use, my Computer Mouse is broken (left-click function dissapeared). It was a model from Logitech, a cordless Mouse, using Ball/Two Axis Technologie.

So I had to decide to buy a new Mouse, but could not find any still using the good old Ball/Two Axis Technologie. All Mouses came with optical Technologie.

Now, when I'm trying to move the Mouse Pointer just a single pixel on the screen (or even two), the Mouse Pointer is moving from Berlin to Paris. :lol:

I have already tried PupX Settings and also editing the file .xset.sh manually.

Nothing worked as wanted. The Mouse is still moving much tooooooooooooo fast!

How can I decrease (slow down very much) the speed/move of the Mouse Pointer?

Or are there any Computer Mouses still available using the good old Ball/Two Axis Technologie?

Thanks,

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi RSH,

This is the exact model I have used with my Puppies for many years.
http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493/K6 ... -trackball
I'm not sure if this is what you want, especially as it's not cordless.

Kensington do have more, and more expensive, models.
You can go to their German website by clicking in the above link.

Else perhaps google "roller ball mouse" or "track ball mouse".

My regards

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

I have used plenty of optical/laser mouses the last years and all have worked without issues - until the last one I bought 2 weeks ago (a Tesoro Shrike gaming mouse). I got the same trouble that RSH describe. My solution was to put it in my gadget-tray waiting for a newer Puppy :)

Sigmund

RSH

#4 Post by RSH »

Hi.

Thanks for the replies.

I have tested a non-cordless optical mouse -a really cheap one from Saitek- taken from my girlfriends computer. This one seems to work well and the speed of the mouse pointer is much slower compared to the new cordless optical mouse.

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

Hi RSH - I have found that optical mouse performance is often related to the condition of the surface underneath it. In general I have found that surfaces that are good for ball mice are bad for optical mice.

In particular, my favourite mousepad works well with my ball mouse, but very badly with my optical mouse - unless i turn the mousepad through 90 degrees!! There is something to do with the weave of the fabric that confuses the optical mouse.

I also find dark surfaces make the optical mouse unstable. The best surface seems to be a pad of fresh clean white A4 paper. Not as comfortable as a soft mousepad surface though...

Pelo

Mouse sensivity can be decreased .

#6 Post by Pelo »

Mouse sensivity can be decreased . Slacko 64 : sensivity changed 2 to 1, that is much better. I can draw windows now. before they were always opening, and that was very boring.
perhaps 64 bits is to fast for seniors.
Here is where you have to set your mouse If you fail, suscribe the forum ans ask for Help Desk. Experts are a lot to help you.
Attachments
sensivity.jpg
(20.31 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 09:17, edited 5 times in total.

tallboy

#7 Post by tallboy »

perhaps 64 bits is to fast for seniors
:lol: :lol: :lol:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

battleshooter

#8 Post by battleshooter »

zigbert wrote:I have used plenty of optical/laser mouses the last years and all have worked without issues - until the last one I bought 2 weeks ago (a Tesoro Shrike gaming mouse). I got the same trouble that RSH describe.
Maybe the DPI needs to be dropped? Most gaming mouses have a button for this so gamers can adjust the sensitivity to their liking. That's what happened to me anyway the first time I thought I'd "upgrade" to a gaming mouse. Just use a boring wired logitech mouse from Officeworks now :lol:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'll agree with battleshooter on this one.

My 'main' everyday mouse, a Logitech T400 'Zonetouch' (uses a 'touch strip' instead of a scroll wheel):-

...is a good one; but I can't slow it down far enough sometimes. I'm currently using a cheapo optical mouse by Trust.....and this one has a DPI button.

Putting this onto the low setting, combined with using PupX to lower things further, usually gets it to where I want it.

Mice with a DPI button do have their uses on occasion. I also have a cheapo 'pen mouse' from the Far East, used for graphics work in GIMP. One of these:-

This also has a DPI button, for the same reason.....a greater degree of accuracy. The small button on the left-hand side performs the same function as the conventional 'right-clk' button.

You hold it exactly as you would a normal pen/pencil. It does take some getting used to, though....

greengeek does have a point, y'know. I use the main computer in my bedroom, most of the time, sitting on the bed as I use it......the desk is beside the bed. The mouse works far better on the duvet cover beside me than it does on the mousepad on the desk itself; so well, in fact, I've kinda got used to using it like that..!

Mike. :wink:

Gordie

Blackweb Mouse

#10 Post by Gordie »

I bought a Blackweb Mouse and found that it refuses to work on Linux of any stripe. On my wife's Mac it only works now and again and sometimes only after a fight including swear words.

What really frosts me is with my Parkinson's Disease I need a scroll wheel where I can feel the clicks. Logitech mice fail on that for me. Too hard for me to control.
I am very happy with a Microsoft Mobile Mouse 3500 and it works well for me except with Quirky and Easy. With those the driver is shared with the touchpad and because I disable the touchpad the mouse stops working too.

belham2

#11 Post by belham2 »

@Gordie...
is with my Parkinson's Disease
...boy, I hear you on this. Last year bought 2 Tecknet optical mouses off of Amazon, but now I find my overall control of my fingers, hand have gotten a bit worse. Thus, trying to control the mouse-clicking & mouse-desktop gliding has become a bit of an angry cussing episode. I wish there were mouses specifically-designed for older generation in general, that are substantial, that don't cost an arm & a leg, and that have solid feeling mouse-clicks & activation, and are not so sensitive and/or prone not to work like we oldsters need them to. Oh well, given I might be stuck with these Tecknets for awhile, unless I awaken & retest my youth baseball throwing arm, I'm gonna have to ask Mike Walsh more about the DPI thing and using PupX. Sometimes the mouse pointer is flying all over the screen & I'm desperately trying to control it with no luck, can never work out if its me solely doing it, or if the mouse itself is partially to blame.

tallboy

#12 Post by tallboy »

Mike wrote:The mouse works far better on the duvet cover beside me than it does on the mousepad on the desk itself; so well, in fact, I've kinda got used to using it like that..!
So bringing along a laptop when visiting friends is probably out of the question...? :lol: :lol:

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

tallboy wrote:
Mike wrote:The mouse works far better on the duvet cover beside me than it does on the mousepad on the desk itself; so well, in fact, I've kinda got used to using it like that..!
So bringing along a laptop when visiting friends is probably out of the question...? :lol: :lol:

tallboy
^^^ Hah! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, that's not the case, tallboy. I find that FISynclient works extremely well on ye olde Dell lappie.....especially since the touchpad is a genuine Synaptics one. Plenty are described as 'Synaptics' pads, but there aren't so many examples of the genuine article around any more, unfortunately.

And strangely, I find that by using the mouse in the way I described above, I have more control over it; it doesn't 'skitter around' the way it does on the mousepad proper..... And because I normally have the acceleration in pupX set pretty high, I find I can cover the whole screen with minimal mouse movement.

Works for me...

Mike. :wink:

8Geee

#14 Post by 8Geee »

I've been using a USB lazer-mouse for quite some time, and adjusting mouse settings is needed even for Logitech's cheap M100.

But Bluetooth mice are a different beast. One needs the right version of BT... some mice are 2.0, some 3.0 and some are 4.0. Being "compatible" may not be enuff. I don't own one of these, but know a little about them, and some are configured in BT settings, some are not.

Cheers
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

LazY Puppy

#15 Post by LazY Puppy »

To slow down the moving of the mouse pointer I'd just edited the file /root/.xset.sh, as its settings couldn't be done by the XSET GUI that way.
xset m 1/10 1 c off r rate 660 25 s off -dpms
Now I can move the mouse pixel by pixel and it's still fast enough for larger moves.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

RSH - was that file there originally or did you create it? Is that code line you posted the only contents of that file?
cheers!

Pelo

if you mice freezes look here

#17 Post by Pelo »

if you mice freezes look here labbe 5 information.

Treshold : what is this
:?: