Trouble with USB optical mouse

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
magaly

Trouble with USB optical mouse

#1 Post by magaly »

hello, i just recently installed puppy on my old dell notebook (inspiron 1300)
everything works fine, but i've had trouble with my usb mouse. it's a creative optical 3000.
the weird thing is, i've also tried with another mouse (maxell) and it doesn't work either.
the usb ports work fine for drive reading, cause i loaded puppy from a 256mb flash drive, and i've also made some save files to an external hard drive.
any help would be greatly aprecciated.

slavvo67

#2 Post by slavvo67 »

I am also having problems with a digital mouse on a Dell running Fluxpup 1.51 and also with OV-Precise-Retro 5.8 (Linux Kernal 3.2.48 No PAE - i486.

Strangely or not, 3HD works fine on the same PC. There must be a driver or script change somewhere that's needed. 3HD was based on Lucid 5.28 so something must have been changed with the mouse drivers or script to load the mouse.

In another post, someone mentioned the computer's bios has a USB option to change but this didn't help my situation. Oh, the mouse is a USB, by the way.

Not trying to steal your post, just letting people know that it's not a one user issue, apparently.

Best,

Slavvo67

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

What happens if you switch the mouse to another USB port while the computer is running? I've done that many times with USB mice and even changed the brand of mouse, and they always worked. No need to reboot as with a PS/2 mouse. I never tried it on a laptop though.

slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

Flash,

I just wanted to mention that your solution worked. I must say that I didn't enjoy untangling the wires behind my computer to get to the mouse USBport but at least the mouse works. There should be a programming solution, as well. No?