Can't get Puppy 528 to use my wireless printer

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
philesk

Can't get Puppy 528 to use my wireless printer

#1 Post by philesk »

I cannot get my wireless printer to print under Puppy 5.2.8. I've tried a number of options in Cups 1.4.3 but even when the printer starts, all it prints is a bunch of graphic characters.

The printer install in Mint 13 worked fairly easily and perfectly. All I had to do was enter the IP address. I had high hopes for Puppy on my antique Thinkpad X41 and the basic install went ok. But the printer problem may end up sending back to Windoz.

I think the major barrier for the Windows user is that Linux is just too much trouble to get going. As a potential newbie to Linux, I now understand why so few people are using Linux. When it's so difficult just to get the basics working, only those with a lot of spare time will persist.

For now, I think I'll just return Puppy to the kennel....

RSH

#2 Post by RSH »

Hi.

I'm quite sure, you'll get your printer running and printing in Puppy.

Just don't give up too fast...

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

Part of the Puppy experience is overcoming these little obstacles. They're not always little, though. Good luck in the printer forum.

RSH:

Your suggestion is great but I think the fact that there's a huge forum just on printers and drivers proves the point that it isn't easy to install printers in Puppy.

It's a sad day when I can setup and print through Google Chrome (going out to the web and coming back in) before I can print locally on Puppy. Not a Puppy issue, really. Thanks Lexmark ... for nothing!

RSH

#4 Post by RSH »

Yes, I know, it's not that easy as it is in Windows.

But at least we got network printing running and working in LazY Puppy which is used at a public school in Germany (as a replacement for the previous used Windows) and LazY Puppy is Lucid 528 based.

All by the help from the experts in the Printers forum...
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Phil, if your printer worked in Mint, why did you switch to Puppy? For that matter, why did you leave Windows if you don't like tinkering with the innards of your computer?

starlyte

Question or request for "nothing"?

#6 Post by starlyte »

OMG, why did any of you bother to answer Phil, except for the encouragement, which does help, if it's not to actually aid him to get his unkown printer up and working?
This is meant, or so I thought, to be a forum of inter-aid for Puppy users. Not to ask people why don't they stay with Mint, or go on to Windows. I came to this thread because I too have problems with my WiFi Multifunction Printer.

What do I come across?
Two useless comments and one of encouragement, but nothing substantial.

Like what printer is it?
What is the problem he's having?
Which version of Puppy has he installed on his laptop?
Does his wireless connection work on other stuff than the printer?

OMG what's going on with this "helpful" forum? Is it getting to be another elitist only forum, too common on the web, especially with OS forums?

I must admit that it's helpful to give a few more details such as what your hardware is that won't work, and which Puppy is being a difficult mutt to train, etc.

Think I'll try somewhere else with my problem, view the replies, especially the last 2, on this thread :twisted:

By the way Phil, if you're still with Puppy, don't give up, it's a great distro for nearly all hardware, and where there's a will, there's usually a way :D
Also there are several different versions of 528 which have been made, with newer kernels, if that's any help. Super Lucid-528-05 has a 3.9.9.0 kernel, although I've not tried it, but my Super Lupu runs on a 3.0.25 kernel. It's made my system much faster, with its' AMD Llano CPU.

rcrsn51

Re: Question or request for "nothing"?

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

starlyte wrote:By the way Phil, if you're still with Puppy, don't give up, it's a great distro for nearly all hardware, and where there's a will, there's usually a way
And that comment is no more helpful to Phil than the others. Why not simply point him to a good source of information about printing in Puppy? It's not far from here.

tlchost

Re: Question or request for "nothing"?

#8 Post by tlchost »

starlyte wrote:OMG, why did any of you bother to answer Phil, except for the encouragement, which does help, if it's not to actually aid him to get his unkown printer up and working?

What do I come across?
Two useless comments and one of encouragement, but nothing substantial.
Very hard to help anyone when they don't give you specific information.

Like what printer is it?
What is the problem he's having?
Which version of Puppy has he installed on his laptop?
Does his wireless connection work on other stuff than the printer?
Ah, er, um.....is it our job to look in the crystal ball and answer the above quesations, or is it's Phil's job to telll us these things so we can attempt to guide him in the best manner?
OMG what's going on with this "helpful" forum? Is it getting to be another elitist only forum, too common on the web, especially with OS forums?
Perhaps one of the problems is the forum has many folks who whine, instead of helping?